IW STi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 STI ISM
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has used this rear shifter bushing as opposed to a Kartboy/Cobb one? It is not poly, so I was wondering if the transmission noise and nvh is reduced compared to the aftermarket options? Thank you :).

P/N: B0220FG300

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would assume so, I have some other group N stuff and while it is really hard material especially compared to the default, definitely softer than poly. I think it’s an oem option also so I can’t imagine the nvh is too bad. Are you looking at doing the group N rear then a set of aftermarket fronts? Looking at the flexible “ears” of this one may give some more compliance or make the install a little easier too.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If the part is the one that is an option when you order a car (on the general subaru site) along with the STI short shifter, yes I have it.

Ordered it with the car - am quite happy.

No issues to date to report.

·
Registered
2019 STI ISM
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the part is the one that is an option when you order a car (on the general subaru site) along with the STI short shifter, yes I have it.

Ordered it with the car - am quite happy.

No issues to date to report.
Yep, that's the part. I looked at the accessories catalog and had no idea Group-N made a rear bushing. Do you experience any additional gear noise? I already have an aftermarket trans mount, but I was wondering if you could tell a noticeable difference? Thank you!

·
Registered
2019 STI ISM
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would assume so, I have some other group N stuff and while it is really hard material especially compared to the default, definitely softer than poly. I think it’s an oem option also so I can’t imagine the nvh is too bad. Are you looking at doing the group N rear then a set of aftermarket fronts? Looking at the flexible “ears” of this one may give some more compliance or make the install a little easier too.
Yeah I just got it today from my dealership. It is a lot stiffer but not as crazy compared to the other options. I plan on getting the Kartboy front bushings. That is good to know that the "ears" might allow for an easier install. Did the OEM bolts work for it? I know the other brands provide their own hardware. Thank you!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yep, that's the part. I looked at the accessories catalog and had no idea Group-N made a rear bushing. Do you experience any additional gear noise? I already have an aftermarket trans mount, but I was wondering if you could tell a noticeable difference? Thank you!
I cannot really comment as it is the only part I've had in the car...it is not noticeable to me.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
255 Posts
I recently installed the Group-N trans mount and turn-in concepts crossmember bushings, and I already had the Kartboy fr/rr shifter bushings and turn-in concepts shifter linkage bushings over a year ago, and installed a cobb short shifter a few months ago too.

From adding the Group-N trans mount and the crossmember bushings I didn't notice a change in sound/volume.
However, i installed them last.
I did notice a change in sound from the shifter and linkage bushings when I installed those over a year ago.

I may be wrong, but I do recall reading that the rear shifter bushing is the main source of the sound.
Some people reported installing all but the rear bushings, or switching that bushing back to stock, and it was quieter.

At this point, shifter bushings, linkage bushings, short shifter, transmission mount, and crossmember bushings, I don't personally notice the noise at all anymore, however I've had a passenger comment on it since it is likely louder than normal.
This is coming from someone who usually drives a Mercedes, so they probably just assume that all cheaper cars make more noise.

Worth noting, I have the stock intake and cat back, so if you have a cat back you may not even notice the shifter noise over the exhaust.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I actually have installed the Cobb, Kartboy and Group N on my own and a couple of friend's cars.
I personally HAD the Kartboy full shifter kit on my STI but had a lot of gear whine, I pulled the rear bushing off and swapped it to the group N thinking it would help. It didn't. I will say the group N is a hell of a lot easier to install though.
I could NOT get the gear whine to go away even with swapping to the Beatrush front shifter bushing as it had the softest rubber on the market (unless I missed one, I looked).

·
Registered
131 Posts
I actually have installed the Cobb, Kartboy and Group N on my own and a couple of friend's cars.
I personally HAD the Kartboy full shifter kit on my STI but had a lot of gear whine, I pulled the rear bushing off and swapped it to the group N thinking it would help. It didn't. I will say the group N is a hell of a lot easier to install though.
I could NOT get the gear whine to go away even with swapping to the Beatrush front shifter bushing as it had the softest rubber on the market (unless I missed one, I looked).
My base is the STI OEM (installed at port) short shifter unit. The OEM STI group N bushing is back in the car…shifting is perfect. No whine.

Just the stock part and the rear bushing…what Subaru offers a customer as options on their new car website order form……. Sometimes I miss a bit of whine…grass is always greener as they say. :). Am leaving it alone now.

·
Registered
2019 STI ISM
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got the Kartboy front bushings to pair with the Group N rear. I already have the Group N trans mount and Whiteline crossmember bushings, so I'm not expecting the whine to be reduced. I am glad that the Group N is easier compared to the solid design of the other options. I know the rear bushing is supposed to be the main factor for gear whine. Did you only have the front and rear bushings with the SS? I'm surprised you had a lot of whine. Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did you only have the front and rear bushings with the SS? I'm surprised you had a lot of whine. Thanks!
I had front and rear bushings with the SS in different combos trying to get rid of whine. Nothing helped unless I went back to stock. The way the shifter feels with the bushings and SS makes up for the annoying whine so I just live with it now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts