IW STi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just got my stereo installed and the shop that did it recommended I upgrade to an Optima battery. I've been doing some research and it seems like a good move....but can't get any matching responses when I ask what SIZE battery it takes. Optima tells me I need the "BCI Group Size Battery" and one dealer tells me it's a "55" and the other says "35". I believe "35" to be correct but am looking for affirmation. 2ndly - has anyone installed an Optima Yellow Top in their STi? If so, were there difficulties encountered in terms of the +/- posts being in a diff't position than the stock battery? I've read that I may need to add some inches to the starter cable, which has me a little freaked out. Can anyone help on this/these issues? PLEASE?

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Unless you are pumping thousands of watts and plan on running your stereo without the engine running, I would not worry about it. I asked where I had my stuff installed about it and they said I should not have to worry about it, with the CAP, I think that's what it was, I should be OK.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: TELEPHONE!

MKIV - thanks VERY much for the feedback. While I'm not running too crazy a system I did manage to run the battery dead in approx. 1/2hr playing a CD with the car off. I don't plan on listening to the stereo too much without the car running.....but 1/2hr may come up from time to time, hence the question. They said too that the OEM battery would sh*t the bed in a year or less (not sure if this was said b/c of my system or what). I guess I'd just like to be able to listen to some music while washing/cleaning/waiting somewhere without worrying that my battery won't get me started afterwords. I've heard very good things about Optima but am dead in the water on those questions I posted above.....anybody else have any insight? I thought for sure there would be more members who've done this already!

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
If you do see yourself using the stereo without the car running then the Optima yellow top is the way to go. I will go with that one if my battery dies. Maybe by then you will find out what size to go with and can tell me. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts