IW STi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I am in at the dealer picking up my 2002 WRX from service. I had the fuel leak issue that there is a TSB on. Anyways, I see a black STI up on the hoist and a tech working on it. As a future STI owner, I inquired as to what was wrong with it. They tell me that first gear is out and second might be gone too. Regardless, they are pulling the tranny out of it.

Everything I've read so far on the STI makes the 6 speed sound bulletproof. Even JUN in Japan has an older STI tweaked and running about 600 HP through the stock tranny, which is supposed to be identical to ours with the exception of gear ratios. This makes me wonder just exactly what would one have to do to strip first gear out of this tranny?

Has anyone had a broken tranny in a STI yet? On the contrast, does anyone beat the crap out of the tranny on a daily basis without any issues?

-Lance

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Sounds like a case of bad driver to me....

You could ruin the gear pretty quickly with some high rpm's trying to shift with the clutch partially out....

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hard to believe that a tranny puked. The clutch does have a long stroke though. Jammin' gears is difficult. I have almost 12,000 miles...

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
There were rumors of one tranny needing complete replacement here in KC. Hummer even said STi sent a tech from Japan because they wanted to see it with their own eyes, they couldn't believe it.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
bitabur said:
Sounds like a case of bad driver to me....

You could ruin the gear pretty quickly with some high rpm's trying to shift with the clutch partially out....
yup, had a WRX at the local dealership(i know i know its not an sti) with 3000 miles getting the tranny replaced becasue 1st and 2nd were gone.

Robert~

·
Registered
94 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
There were rumors of one tranny needing complete replacement here in KC. Hummer even said STi sent a tech from Japan because they wanted to see it with their own eyes, they couldn't believe it.

Hahaha only in America.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Had a guy in Washington state who is on his third. I stopped by my dealer the other day for some warranty work and his blue sti was on the lift again. I guess this guy has money to burn and likes to launch his at 6000 rpm. Don't know many if any stock trannies will take that abuse.

·
Registered
82 Posts
yup, had a WRX at the local dealership(i know i know its not an sti) with 3000 miles getting the tranny replaced becasue 1st and 2nd were gone.
Dunno about the STi's, but my 02 WRX started grinding down into 1st at any speed except virtually-dead-stop after ~ 25k mi. And no, I hadn't been downshifting into 1st at hi speeds/rpm's, nor speed-shifting, partial-clutching, etc - I don't beat my cars. It first happened slowing to the curb, shifting to 1st at a slight roll to hang a Uie. My clutch had developed occasional chatter for a period preceding the onset of the 1st gear prob, so I atrributed it to a slightly worn clutch, and just avoided 1st unless at a complete stop. I was gonna take it in, but swapped it for the STi. Hope my STi doesn't follow suit but I'm on the lookout. So far so good w/ 6k mi.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.