IW STi Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a brand new STi - a few odd questions

I was thinking of getting the PSI 3 data logger for the lower DIN, but I was concerned that the plug into OBD port would be in the way of the pedals. The pics online seem to have a chunky plug hanging down right where it would interfere with proper gas/break use. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Wouldn't worry about that too much. The OBD plug can be loosened from the underdash mount, connected to the logger, and hung anywhere up under the dash.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have the PSI3, and yes, the plug sticks down below the wheel. I haven't had any issues with it interfering with my feet/legs at all. The farther you sit from the wheel, the less of a concern it is. Even sitting very close, I don't have an issue. I believe I have my seat very close to the wheel -- without my harness on the top of the wheel is behind my wrist. With the harness I am held quite securely to the seat, so it is at about wrist level. I get comments from other people who get in about how close the seat is.

I've had about 12 people drive my car (most doing autocross, a couple around town only). Nobody has commented on the plug getting in their way, and it didn't look like anyone was hitting it.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Are you using the PSI 3 as a replacement for gauges? I know I want a set of good gauges for boost/EGT/oil press eventually when I get to tuning, but can the PSI really get the accurate data from the OBD output? Would the values given be as accurate as properly mounted sensors?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I can't answer that accurately. One thing to remember is that the ECU does not give EGT, oil pressure, or oil temperature. You have to buy sensors for those then run them directly to the PSI3. In that case, I would expect them to be very accurate since they use Defi sensors. The one thing I have checked is the road speed, which is within 1mph of my GPS, unlike the speedometer which is 4 or 5mph high.

I'm also torn on what I want to do in the future. I've decided that a real data logging system is what I want, and so I'm leery of putting more money into the PSI3 or other gauges. On the other hand, $5000 for a Motec ADL is a bit extreme. While the PSI3 was great at the hillclimb (peak speed, current coolant and intake temperature), I do wish I had had a real data logger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts