IW STi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I know this is WAY overpriced, but I got a used one for a really sweet deal, and installed it tonight.

The pipe dia are exactly the same as stock, 2 1/4 or so.

This exhaust is straight threw...unlike the stock STI, which is almost straight threw..exept the pipe coming into the muffler enters higher than the tailpipe.

Anyway, I install it, and start it up. Sounds almost stock at idle. makes a bit more noise when you rev it up. But not loud. sounds nice.

I took it for a spin, and it sounds sweet. EXCEPT when I hit full throttle.

At full throttle, I get this horribly loud whistling and you can hear tons of air escaping threw the muffler. (I think)

The whistling and air escaping a SUPER loud.

It doesn't sound like I have a leak at the flange, as the engine noise never gets loud, just the whistling/air.

I am running everything stock except the axleback.

Was hoping other STI owners are using this exhaust, and not having this problem.

The guy i bought it from had it on a WRX and he said he never had this problem. As did another with this exhaust on a WRX.

Anyone have any comments on this noise. if I could get rid of the whistling/air noise this is a keeper. If not, I'll be forced to sell it. (already had 2 different muffler on my car so far..thought I may have found a winner this time)

Thanks for the help.
JayB

·
Registered
176 Posts
You should sell it and buy the SPT catback for ~$400 or the Borla Hush back for ~$450.

SPT- It's a catback, 3" and stainless steel. (Not a straight through design though).

I have the Borla "Hushback" twin tip and it's also a 3" stainless catback that mates up to your stock cat converter.

Just some suggestions since I think the STi muffler isn't doing too much for you performance wise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts