IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious what needs to be modified in the bumper support, or how different the JDM bumper support is from the USDM model.

I've really been eyeing the JDM foglights, I think they look sweet. I would like to install a set, but I'm curious what I'm getting myself into before I crash a few hundred bucks on them

Can anyone help me out?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Instructions come with the foglights. yes they are in Japanese but the pics are simple enough to follow. If you want to keep your USDM support, just trim off the bar past the front tow hook hole, then match the other side. The bezels will clip in after that.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I'm trying to see... either what I have to trim or what the difference between the JDM and the USDM support is... I wanna see what I have to do, and how it changes the bumper structurally before I buy the fogs.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, that's exactly what I'm looking for.... Thanks!

So what is the difference strengthwise between the JDM and the USDM bumper beam? The JDM looks a lot less sturdy.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
20 lbs vs 5 lbs is a big difference in strength.

It's your call.

The JDM one is suppose to pass the 5mph test, the USDM one is double that.

like I said earlier, just take off your pass side cover and look at the beam. From the tow hook hole to the left can be removed, leaving the hole for the hook obviously. Then trim the same amount off the driver side. Hope you have a plasma torch. ;)

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
THis pic clearly shows how much material needs to be removed:

you can see that the tow hook hole is still there on the JDM support.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I was considering the beam swap purely as a weight reduction measure. Those JDM fogs are nice too. It may be hard to lose weight with all these potential additions rattling around!

·
Chuck taught me everything I know
504 Posts
It's about 20 pounds lighter. So yes it's less sturdy.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My concern is how much I would degrade the integrity of the car were I to get into an accident... I love how the JDM foglights look, and that I can get actual amber foglights.. but it's a tough call whether it's worth it to install them. There are a lot of drawbacks..

No plasma torch, either.. I dunno many mods that are worth that kind of effort.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Question about a possible tranny issue..

Well, compared to my CRX the STi is a tank - even with no bumper beam at all.

I think the main issue is one of damage repair rather than safety. You have a healthy amount of structure in front of you in a serious front end collision with either beam, but the USDM beam is going to be better able to resist moderate impacts - presumably with somewhat less costly results.

I have yet to collide with anything larger than a crow in almost 25 years of driving. I don't think the STi is underbuilt with the JDM beam. Guess it depends on your perspective.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sciolist said:
Well, compared to my CRX the STi is a tank - even with no bumper beam at all.
I've never seen a CRX disassembled, but I did happen to plow one into a concrete guardrail at around 65mph back in 1990. So if the STi is stronger than that, I'm not especially worried.

I think the main issue is one of damage repair rather than safety. You have a healthy amount of structure in front of you in a serious front end collision with either beam, but the USDM beam is going to be better able to resist moderate impacts - presumably with somewhat less costly results.

I have yet to collide with anything larger than a crow in almost 25 years of driving. I don't think the STi is underbuilt with the JDM beam. Guess it depends on your perspective.
I guess you have a point there... I've been on the road 23 years, and I'm a cautious enough driver that I'm not really worried about CAUSING an accident, let alone getting in one. I think the way I drive I'm more in danger of being rear ended than bashing the nose... as I keep enough distance that I know I can stop, but I always worry that those behind me can't stop as fast as I can.

Still debating it... they look damn nice, though.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I always worry that those behind me can't stop as fast as I can.
I think one can avoid a lot of problems by simply not being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The fact that you're interested in driving from a performance perspective and have lived to 39 or whatever implies some technical capacity.

In 23 years of climbing I've learned to get comfortable right up at the edge and occasionally step over into the shark infested waters. Stepping back and forth tends to put some good light on the boundary. I would much rather run on a thin margin with strong capabilities than a big buffer without a clue.

The rest is statistics... and for whatever reason I don't seem to be hitting stuff.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Auto-dimming mirror...

Well someone backed into me the other day and the JDM bar held up without a problem.

Best solution for you is to pop off your covers and mark where they need to be cut, then take the bar off and have someone cut them for you.

That way you get the added security that it will survive a hard impact and you get the JDM fogs in yellow (not amber).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts