1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
198 Posts
...am also interested in hearing opinions on K&N. I had one in my Dakota pickup and didn't notice any huge gains, so I guess it's all relative...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from what I read so far the K&N isn't worth it but the STi one in the link I posted is...anyone know for sure? or should I stick with the stock one?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
K&N has no been recommended as people have had messed up MAF sensors from the oil in the filter. You should try another company.

Robert~

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I had an ITG foam filter in my '02 WRX. Worked great and sounded great. I'll be getting one for my STi soon.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I find the el cheapo Fram air filters flow just as well as the K&N do, and you don't have all the maintenance. I think K&Ns are a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
271 Posts
We installed a K&N filter on the Project_STI vehicle and noticed that the engine breathed easier, but the noise from the turbo spooling up and the operation of the bypass valve increased. Those are pleasant sounds that most drivers like to hear from their engine. Bottomline is that there is a noticeable improvement (seat of the pants) in how quick the turbo spools up and the car accelerates (significant but not a substantial performance difference).

·
Registered
614 Posts
I swapped out the stock filter for the STi one you linked to. Did it at 7K miles. Didn't notice a "butt dyno" increase, although it does seem that you can hear more "good" noise from the swap. My buddy picked up the stocker and replacement and breathed thru them (a very, very scientific method for those of you unfamiliar - :lol: ) and said the STi logoed one seemed more free flowing. It sure does look nice - too bad the STi logo is hidden under that cover....but I guess it says "STi" in enough places on our cars already.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts