IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at changeing my tranny oil in my 6 speed soon and i've done quite a bit of searching. It seems that a somewhat common problem with the Motul Gear 300 is that it is too slick for the syncro's to work properly without grinding (which i'm pretty sure would annoy me were I to get this problem...)

However, it seems that Motul has another gearbox oil out that is Semi-Synthetic and meets GL-5 requirements. It is specifically mentioned that it is geared at preventing gear grinding while shifting (see below - taken from PDM racing)

MOTYLGEAR 75W90 SYNTHETIC BLEND GEARBOX OIL A great high performance synthetic blend gear oil for gearboxes and rear ends. Perfect for older boxes that are harder to shift and have a tendency to "snick" or "grind" going into gear, this oil has additives which help to reduce gear mesh. A strong friction reduction package increases mileage, while extending the life of the gearbox.
API GL4 and GL5 MIL-L2105C.
I also found one post by 92 Valver that says the following:

I decided to change switch back over to the OEM fluid and it so happens that the stealership did not have the OEM stuff for sale because it only came in 20Litre pails. He told me that Subaru recommends Motul. I told him my story and immediately, he told me that the STi should not use the fully synthetic Motul Gear 300. He also told me that his Motul rep says this to be true and other STi owners are having the same issue with the 300. The Subaru recommended fluid is the Motul Gear 75w-90. This is a group III base with is essentially petroleam based (dino oil). The reasoning behind this is that the Motul Gear 300 is too slippery. Syncros require a little bit of friction to properly get up to speed of the next gear change and the Gear 300 causes the syncros to "slip". The higher friction of the regular Motul allows the syncros to get up to speed faster (think of it as a viscous coupling) allowing a smoother shift.
Seems like this oil may help prevent the grinding issues and its cheaper to boot. Has anyone that had issues grinding with the Motul 300 oil tried this out to see if it fixed their problems? Or should I just go with the tried and true Motul 300 even if their is a risk of syncro grinding?

·
Registered
315 Posts
you can order the subaru extra-s from tic alittle expensive . but it will work its about 20 bucks a quart. you need 5, or go to the dealer with jug and see if they will sell u 5 quarts.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd rather avoid the US-Canada shipping for heavy things like fluids if possible. This semi-synthetic is availible in Canada so I was hoping to try it out.

So has anyone tried out this fluid?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got 5L of this Motul Molygear 75W90 and will put on my 02 WRX wagon tranny and rear diff. Will post result later for my review.

Stay tune!

Ben

·
Registered
72 Posts
Im looking to buy fluids for the rear diff and the tranny as I just picked up my STi and would like to start fresh on everything just so I know where its at. You are calling this a "semi-synthetic" however THIS site refers to it as "100% synthetic" and the gear 300 as "semi-synthetic". I too would like to find something to help reduce grinding as I have a very slight 4th crunch at higher revs. Where are you guys picking up your fluids from?

edit: I just noticed the site contradicts itself. It says semi-synthetic highlighted in yellow and 100% synthetic just below that haha.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heh, yea, it would appear that site doesn't proof read its content. I am pretty sure though that the 300V is 100% syntetic whereas the Motyl Gear 75/90 is semi-synthetic.

What sucks is that motul doesn't have a good North American website, as its flash site sucks the big one.

Let us know how it goes EJ22.

Anyone else have experience with this oil?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like 92 Valver switched to the semi-synthetic stuff: (from http://www.iwsti.com/forums/drivetrain-components/48982-motul-gear-300-vs-royal-purple-max-gear-3.html )
So out with $120 worth of Motul Gear 300 and in with the Motul Motyl Gear 75W-90 Technosynthese. The difference was night and day. Immediately, on the shifts up and down shifts, the notchiness was drastically reduced. Now it feels like there is a "cushion" of oil between the gears/syncros when they engage as oppose to the notchy "metallic" feel.

I will be tracking this next weekend and will know the difference under high load/RPM.

Will update again.
Looks very promising indeed.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Motul synthetic Gear 300 75w90 for the trans.

Motul PA90 for the STi rear diff.

I had no issues at all.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Hmm. I put in the Motul Gear 300 last summer at my 30k maintenance and it smoothed things out some in the gear box. I still had a little "nick" when shifting occasionally. Purchased a quart of GM Syncromesh after doing some research. Put in about 1/2 a bottle and that really smoothed things out.

I really dont have any complaints with my gear box now. It was a bit sloppy as far as shifing, but I used Kartboys short shifter with all the TIC bushing and it is really great now.

TIC also did a bunch of research on Motul 300. http://www.iwsti.com/forums/drivetrain-components/73955-clint-s-findings-6mt-tranny-fluid.html

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm. I put in the Motul Gear 300 last summer at my 30k maintenance and it smoothed things out some in the gear box. I still had a little "nick" when shifting occasionally. Purchased a quart of GM Syncromesh after doing some research. Put in about 1/2 a bottle and that really smoothed things out.

I really dont have any complaints with my gear box now. It was a bit sloppy as far as shifing, but I used Kartboys short shifter with all the TIC bushing and it is really great now.

TIC also did a bunch of research on Motul 300. http://www.iwsti.com/forums/drivetrain-components/73955-clint-s-findings-6mt-tranny-fluid.html
Yea, i've read that that can work as well. However, i'd like to use only 1 fluid just incase the two don't mix well, cause premature wear, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I

JDM, and your use of 08STI

SUBARU KOREA South Korea's is in the works.

75w-90's maintenance manual, also of the oil as recommended,

LSD for the oil must be used LSD for deuleogatgi.

I should not. If you are using the product MOTUL

Do not use GearBOX 300.

GearBOX TYPE 2 75w-90 with LSD, please use the product.

front: 4.1L
Rear: 1.1L

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
bring out your dead... anyway...

i was debating in my mind whether to do this one or the gear 300. does anyone else have experiences using this tranny oil?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Damnit I just bought 6 bottles of the Motul 300. There are a lot of people using it without problems so ill prolly give it a shot. but this damn thread makes me worried about it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have had the motyl gear 75-90 in my trans for almost 20k miles now and have no complaints. Still shifts nice and smooth, this is including couple of track days and several passes down the drag strip. Also shifts better in the cold compared to the oem fluid.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sweet glad to here, so far I've heard one bad comment and he doesn't have good reason not to use other than he heard that it's not compatible with the 6MT.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Damn, I hadn't seen this thread. I just bought the Gear 300 and it'll be here day after tomorrow. Just about everything I have read backs the Gear 300 fluid so hopefully I don't regret this purchase. If so at least I have an ida of what to replace it with.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very happy with the 75-90. No grinding at all, and 2 years later i'm still incredibly happy with my choice.

I have never experienced the gear 300, but with how nice the 75-90 is, I doubt I will ever switch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts