IW STi Forum banner

Anyone have any Experience/Thoughts on the HKS Hipermax S

Suspension/Stiffening 
7K views 54 replies 5 participants last post by  JFAZ 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm researching coilovers as my next project. Does anyone have any Experience/Thoughts on the HKS Hipermax S. I've been watching the HKS design history and manufacturing process on their Youtube channel and it seems like a lot of refinement has gone into this coilover over it's 9 year history, but really going back to HKS early days of suspension development. I know the defacto seem to be Ohlins & FA/Cygnus, just researching the options.

These claim to come out of the box being near corner balanced and lower the STI .75 up front and .5 in the rear, which is exactly what I'm looking for.

I've never owned/experienced coilovers before and this will be for my Daily that may see very little track time in the future. These are currently being sold for around $1500 on several sites.

Thanks!

Automotive tire Engineering Auto part Composite material Rim

HIGHLIGHTS
  • Dual PVS. We evolved the existing preload valve system to the dual preload valve system to suppress the generation of unnecessary damping force during higher piston speeds. This provides major improvement in ride comfort without influencing the driving performance.
  • Wide Range Damping Force Adjustment Mechanism. The improved shape of the Needle Jet expand the range of damping force adjustment. This makes us possible to handle driving on a wider range of stages.
  • Evolution of Bump Stop Rubber. A new shape of bump stop rubber reduces the body roll and achieves ride comfort at the same time which cannot be achieved with general hydro bump stop rubber.
  • Low Friction Technology. With advanced tribology technology, we have achieved even higher durability and lower friction than conventional products. This technology contributes to improved ride quality and handling performance.
  • 3-Years Warranty.
  • Single Tube
  • 30 Levels Adjustable Damping
  • Shock-Body Length Adjustable
  • Special Oil
  • PNE Coating
  • Dual Pre-Load Valve System
  • Aluminum Bracket
  • Rubber Upper Mount
SPECIFICATIONS
  • Spring Rate [N/mm(kgf/mm)]: F=88(9.0) | R=69(7.0)
  • Spring Length (mm): F=220 (Straight Barrel Type) | R=170 (Straight)
  • Height at Factory (Upper-Lower): F=-19(0 to -41) | R=-14(0 to -59)
  • Upper Mount: F=Rubber | R=Rubber
  • Spring Rate Change at Factory [Changeable Spring Rate N/mm(kgf/mm)]: F=Possible [±10 (1)] | R=Possible [±10 (1)]
The HIPERMAX S Series offers the best ride in HKS suspension history.

The three existing MAX IV GT series becomes the HIPERMAX S starting in 2021. 9 years have passed since the launch of MAX IV GT, and during that time HKS has developed new technologies. It will be a new series that has all three conventional models characteristics, and been evolved by damping force characteristics, durability, and beauty. The HIPERMAX S series offers the best ride so far in HKS suspension history.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
personally i dont know much about these. but looking at the price point, and warranty, seems like FA/Cygnus comfort x1 coils would be a better option. you get 2 more years of warranty, completely rebuildable by fortune in the usa (virginia specifically), and they can be valved for comfort or if you want something a bit more aggressive, for motorsports. (for reference, mine are valved for motorsports, with 8k/9k springs and ride better than my old two sets, tein flex, and flatout suspension....something, cant remember the specific model. just something to think about.)

EDIT: the Tein and flatout sets I had both had 5k/7k springs, so Noticeably softer springs and still rode worse due to valving.

#3 ·
personally i dont know much about these. but looking at the price point, and warranty, seems like FA/Cygnus comfort x1 coils would be a better option. you get 2 more years of warranty, completely rebuildable by fortune in the usa (virginia specifically), and they can be valved for comfort or if you want something a bit more aggressive, for motorsports. (for reference, mine are valved for motorsports, with 8k/9k springs and ride better than my old two sets, tein flex, and flatout suspension....something, cant remember the specific model. just something to think about.)

EDIT: the Tein and flatout sets I had both had 5k/7k springs, so Noticeably softer springs and still rode worse due to valving.
Karlot,

Thanks for the input! The Cygnus comfort sounds like they will end up being the ones I go for. The HKS just seem like an easy "plug and play" solution. What's a realistic interval for having to rebuild coilovers on a daily driver, every few years? I need to reach out to Geoff and have a chat and hopefully they'll be doing a black Friday sale this year!

#5 ·
I put x-1s on about a month ago, 8k front/9k rear hypercos and high caster plates for daily driving and incompetent autocross. I’ve been really happy with them, probably not that close to what you’re looking at spec wise, but my car is a 2019 so probably close in that regard if there’s anything I can answer. Completely agree with Karlot to call Geoff, and probably plan on some rear LCA’s to get camber set right too (Spc’s are fine, really don’t think you have to go crazy here).

#25 · (Edited)
Thanks too all that helped with my coilover research! While everyone recommended FA/Cyngus and I even had a nice email from Geoff, I ultimately went with the HKS Hipermax S. The FA 500s are excellent and if anything they seem to be superior to the HKS Hipermax S. The Price Point is similar ~$1800 and the FA 500s have a couple more features (locking springs perches and Camber plates). The FA can's also be optioned into Ohlins price range if desired.

Since I just daily my STI and see no track use and the fact that I'm not going to lower it very much, I debated the need for adjustable camber plates. I also like that HKS has many years of R&D (great in-depth look at the development of the Hipermax in a 9 part series here: HKS HIPERMAX S - Part 1: History of HIPERMAX and a tour of their in house factory is also interesting : HKS HIPERMAX S - Part 9: Factory Tour) and has refined the Hipermax over the years and claim that this is their best riding suspension in their history.

I also got these for a good deal @ $1500.

Anyway I hope they are decent as not too many people seem to be running these in our community.

Shipping box Gas Engineering Auto part Machine

#29 · (Edited)
@Break Pedal Lol...this thread did go a little off the rails for a bit...;). I got these put on today at a local tuning shop (PTuning). I don't have a garage, just a curb or I would have done them myself. They aligned it to OEM specs. It's lowered 1" up front and .75" in the rear compared to the stock setup. In the photo I took it doesn't look too aggressive, but in person the rears they look they would rub, but thankfully they don't.

I'm not running LCA's and the damping is set at 15, right in the middle.

My initial impression is the ride it's not harsh and essentially feels a bit smoother than stock. It's dampened well and feels planted and solid. Posting some better photos in my Journal.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

#32 ·
Thanks! That was my first time at Ptuning, I typically go to Mach V, but just wanted to check out PTuning and my experience was good. They had tons of old Turbo and Sport Compact Car magazines from back in the late 90s and early 2000s and I had a blast looking through them. I was amazed that I actually remembered several of the issues. I'll probably continue going to Mach V in the future as I like those folks too, they specialize in our platform, and they are closer to my work.

I was thinking that my current wheel/tire set up was going to be my "Mid-Atlantic winter" setup and I would put summer tires on the the stock wheels, but these Enkies are starting to grow on me and the Conti DWS's did great during the past summer for street driving. I was also thinking about getting a 18x9.5" wheel with 265/35-18's setup for summer, but I'm buying a house in a few months so I'm going to put off wheels/tires until 2024. At least I'll have time to research which wheel/tire I want to run.

Awesome, glad they’re working out. I’m sure the tires take some edge off of the harshness added. They really look great too, amazing what a little drop can do.
Thanks! The 245/45's do help with the harshness. I kind of miss the responsiveness of the stock 35's. I would also say they these also have a bit of a "Float" to them. They are great for crap road and I'm sure they'll do great in the light snow. I think when it's time to replace them, I'll go with the standard 240/40's or maybe a 255/40.

#35 ·
dang that looks so dang good. really shows the difference.

and yeah i was actually laid off from there lol. I think it was because of money at the time but they didnt disclose that, so it's just speculation, it was just more of a "we are sorry but we have to lay you off" talk, regardless even after that they took/take care of me/the car and they really do great work. and even years later they are still my go to shop for anything subaru and there's no bad blood or anything. i really bring that part up to say how much i trust their work even after i was laid off lol. working there really solidified that it's a great shop with alot of knowledge, and they have helped with basically every aspect of my build and maintenance,

#36 ·
dang that looks so dang good. really shows the difference.

and yeah i was actually laid off from there lol. I think it was because of money at the time but they didnt disclose that, so it's just speculation, it was just more of a "we are sorry but we have to lay you off" talk, regardless even after that they took/take care of me/the car and they really do great work. and even years later they are still my go to shop for anything subaru and there's no bad blood or anything. i really bring that part up to say how much i trust their work even after i was laid off lol. working there really solidified that it's a great shop with alot of knowledge, and they have helped with basically every aspect of my build and maintenance,
Thanks man! That is saying a lot about given the circumstance of how you left. I'm just super happy to have a GOOD dedicated Subaru shop so close to me, compared to living back in Tucson where I had nothing like this. I've already spent a few thousand at Mach V and will continue to use them as your recommendation really reinforces my personal experiences with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.