IW STi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have something worked out with a local tire shop. I had to get my brakes changed spontaneously and the brakes they had in shop were a notable downgrade from stock. The Akebonos were the best they can get. How do they compare to stock?

I may end up eating the cost and going hawk or project mu

Thanks

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I have something worked out with a local tire shop. I had to get my brakes changed spontaneously and the brakes they had in shop were a notable downgrade from stock. The Akebonos were the best they can get. How do they compare to stock?

I may end up eating the cost and going hawk or project mu

Thanks
Anything ceramic is going to be a downgrade in braking performance but lessen the dust. Performance brakes will dust like mad but they grip better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
264 Posts
Actually those particular pads have a very high coefficient of friction for being ceramic and I've run them of my STI and didn't notice any difference in initial bite or braking power compared to the stock pads. But there is way less brake dust from these. I couldn't recommend any ceramic pads other than these as they usually don't perform as good as semi-metallic ones. And good aftermarket semi-metallic pads are likely to outperform these. I'd say they're a fine replacement for stock if you're not looking to upgrade the performance. Although tires are usually the biggest factor in braking distances anyways.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Actually those particular pads have a very high coefficient of friction for being ceramic and I've run them of my STI and didn't notice any difference in initial bite or braking power compared to the stock pads. But there is way less brake dust from these. I couldn't recommend any ceramic pads other than these as they usually don't perform as good as semi-metallic ones. And good aftermarket semi-metallic pads are likely to outperform these. I'd say they're a fine replacement for stock if you're not looking to upgrade the performance. Although tires are usually the biggest factor in braking distances anyways.
Being a track guy, ceramics are never an option for me. The best ceramic will not perform better than even a mediocre performance semi metallic pad. If your just looking for good stopping on the street and less wheel cleaning then ceramics or ok. Not great but ok. You can feel that bite difference at the pedal and as much as I’ve driven on the track I notice the feel right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
270 Posts
Like others have said, it all depends on what you want from your brake system. If you track or autocross and could careless about dust and pad longevity then they are certainly the ones to go with. However, if it is street use as a daily then they certainly are good pads for that. They were on my last car, an Audi S5 Cab, and they were perfectly fine as a daily as they were low dust, quiet, and seems to last well when compared to HP pads. One little note to be aware of with ceramic pads, the dusts are white/light colored, which are great for silver or other light color wheels. Which means, if you have dark colored wheels on your car, they will have an opposite effect on the claim of "low dust" and will show.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Like others have said, it all depends on what you want from your brake system. If you track or autocross and could careless about dust and pad longevity then they are certainly the ones to go with. However, if it is street use as a daily then they certainly are good pads for that. They were on my last car, an Audi S5 Cab, and they were perfectly fine as a daily as they were low dust, quiet, and seems to last well when compared to HP pads. One little note to be aware of with ceramic pads, the dusts are white/light colored, which are great for silver or other light color wheels. Which means, if you have dark colored wheels on your car, they will have an opposite effect on the claim of "low dust" and will show.
So glad I read this.. I hate the dust on my 19 STI... contemplated ceramic because of the not as much dust. But my wheels are black. It sounds like I'd just be right back where I started. SCRUBBING! :(

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have black rims and I never noticed the white dust, maybe it just doesn't bother me. I do know that these pads have enough grip to easily engage the ABS (and I'm running decent tires, Michelin PS4S), they just won't have the initial bite of a good semi-metallic pad. These are the only brand of ceramic pads that I'd recommend, but if I went to the track, I'd probably put something different on.

·
Registered
11 STI Stage 3 & 08 WRX Stage 1
64 Posts
Yes, I have these pads. I use them for street duty and swap to a set of CL RC5+ pads for HPDE. They're very similar to stock in brake torque but less dust. I think they have initial bite very slightly harder than the stock pads, but not much. Would definitely keep using for the street, no reservations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.