IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to disable the proximity/keyless detect unlock system.
This is the system that unlocks the car when you reach for a door handle
when the key is near to the door. I still want the car to unlock/lock on a key press.

I actually don't like it as I believe it is a security risk due to constant pinging back and forth of the key fob to the vehicle even without pressing buttons on the fob.

I found these instructions in the owners manual in section 2-16

1. Sit in the driver’s seat, and close the
door.
2. Push the rear side (unlock side) of the
power door locking switch.
3. Within 5 seconds after step 2 is
performed, open the driver’s door.
4. Within 5 seconds after step 3 is
performed, push the rear side (unlock
side) of the power door locking switch
twice while the door is open.
5. Within 10 seconds after step 4 is
performed, close and open the driver’s
door twice.
6. Within 10 seconds after step 5 is
performed, push the rear side (unlock
side) of the power door locking switch
twice while the door is open.

7. Within 10 seconds after step 6 is
performed, close and open the driver’s
door once.
8. Within 5 seconds after step 7 is
performed, close the door. A chirp sound
will be heard, and the functions will be
disabled.

But I have tried it multiple times....even had a Subi mechanic friend of mine try it
with no success. The owners manual doesn't say if the car should be off, in Accessory mode, on or running. I have tried it in all conditions.

He also hooked up a scan tool and didn't find anything that he thought would change it either.

Has anyone got any better info?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I haven't tried to do this. But I'm not sure it will accomplish your goal. I'd bet that the system still goes through the wireless handshake even if the keyless lock/unlock is disabled. Does the manual actually say it disables the handshake?

-Craig

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't tried to do this. But I'm not sure it will accomplish your goal. I'd bet that the system still goes through the wireless handshake even if the keyless lock/unlock is disabled. Does the manual actually say it disables the handshake?

-Craig
The goal is to disable the car unlocking based on the handshake being there.

The car still has to handshake with the fob to start as it is a push button start.

If the car doesn't stop handshaking I guess I don't care....I just don't want it to unlock without
a manual key fob press.

I realize this doesn't increase security much but anything is better than what it currently is.

One night my wife walked by the car with her key in her purse....my daughter had her hand on the handle and the car unlocked and neither of them noticed.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I went and looked at my manual and read this note at the end of the procedure to disable the keyless access:

NOTE
In steps 4 and 6, press the power door
locking switch slowly. If the switch is
pressed quickly, the functions may not
be disabled.

Maybe that's why you are not getting it to disable?

Also it's interesting to note that they mention one of the reasons to disable keyless access is if the car it going to be parked for an extended period. It will help preserve battery power. So I was wrong in my post above when I said it's probably still going to do the wireless handshake with the key. It looks like disabling keyless access actually shuts off the transmit/receive hardware. Good to know!

One last thing... if you have PIN access enabled in your car, there is a much simpler method to disable keyless access:

1. Open the driver’s door.

2. Rotate the lock lever forward.
3. Press and hold the “lock” button and
“trunk open” button on the access key simulta-
neously for more than 5 seconds.

A chirp sound will be heard, and the
function will be disabled.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went and looked at my manual and read this note at the end of the procedure to disable the keyless access:

NOTE
In steps 4 and 6, press the power door
locking switch slowly. If the switch is
pressed quickly, the functions may not
be disabled.

Maybe that's why you are not getting it to disable?

[/QUOTE]

I have tried it maybe 25 times now...short presses, long presses, short pauses, long pauses....maybe not all combinations, but no joy with any of them.

Also it's interesting to note that they mention one of the reasons to disable keyless access is if the car it going to be parked for an extended period. It will help preserve battery power. So I was wrong in my post above when I said it's probably still going to do the wireless handshake with the key. It looks like disabling keyless access actually shuts off the transmit/receive hardware. Good to know!
Yup I had forgotten that I read that section as well.

One last thing... if you have PIN access enabled in your car, there is a much simpler method to disable keyless access:

1. Open the driver’s door.

2. Rotate the lock lever forward.
3. Press and hold the “lock” button and
“trunk open” button on the access key simulta-
neously for more than 5 seconds.

A chirp sound will be heard, and the
function will be disabled.

Sure but a couple of things.

1. According to my Subaru mechanic if you configure the PIN access and then for WHAT EVER REASON screw it up a few times when entering it (like maybe just trying to open the trunk) it will lock out all external access except the physical key.

2. Disabling the keyless access by turning on a PIN code seems like locking the door but rolling down the window in terms of security.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts