IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys and gals, just wondering if anyone else out there takes off from a stop in 2nd gear? the only time i really use 1st gear is if i'm climbing a steep grade like a driveway for example, in a parking lot looking for a spot, when there are people walking around close by or when creeping in traffic to avoid having to engage the cluch every 10 seconds. i know it may be a different story with the 07 owners, with the taller gears and all, but i've never drivin one so i don't know. share your input.

·
Registered
488 Posts
ive done it a few times, most of the times unintentionally. i didnt like it too much tho, doesnt seem low enough to me... have to slip the clutch a little more than i would like to at every stop.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I dont start but if the car is already moving faster than 5 mph ill leave it in 2nd. Its actually pretty easy to start in second but it feels like you lug the car too much.

Reactions: mheyman

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
yeah if im moving at all i use 2nd and it doesnt really bog out much...if im completely stopped 1st all the time

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok, thanks for the input guys. i always start in 2nd (on flat gound) and never have any problems with the engine bogging. i just take off like normal at about 1000k rpm's and don't have to make the cluch slip or engine bog to get her moving, 1st is just too short to me and our cars have plenty of power to do it, i dunno, that's just me.

quick question for the 07 Sti owners out there:
how much taller are your gears then us '04,'05,'06 guys? for example, in my 05 i'm at about 3100-3200k rpm's when at 80mph in 6th, what rpm's are you at when cruising at 80mph?

·
Registered
488 Posts
ok, thanks for the input guys. i always start in 2nd (on flat gound) and never have any problems with the engine bogging. i just take off like normal at about 1000k rpm's and don't have to make the cluch slip or engine bog to get her moving, 1st is just too short to me and our cars have plenty of power to do it, i dunno, that's just me.

quick question for the 07 Sti owners out there:
how much taller are your gears then us '04,'05,'06 guys? for example, in my 05 i'm at about 3100-3200k rpm's when at 80mph in 6th, what rpm's are you at when cruising at 80mph?
i thought it was only 4th and 5th that are different?? no?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts