IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my license plate the other day and went to put it on the back. While I was down there I noticed a huge block of styrofoam stuffed up in the bumper. Is that normal? My first thought was that it should've been removed after shipping and all but now I can't decide what to make of it. I mean I guess the plastic bumper shouldn't just be a hollow shell, but styrofoam?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Subaru WRX STi TT

Itis quite common to have foam blocks in bumpers these days. Along with plastic honeycomb style blocks and such this makes up the deformable energy absorbing structure that car manufacturers like to use these days. They think it is safer for the driver to have the bumpers absorb the energy and get damaged rather than pass it along to the car and passengers. Coincidentally, it also means you have to replace the damaged parts. Hmmm......

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I did not notice that because a porter put my plates on when I picked up my STi. One thing I did notice while putting a cover over my front plate is that it looks like they had to drill 2 new holes to mount the plate to. The 2 already there were too wide.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Yup....that's a standard for many cars these days. DON'T REMOVE IT...you'll end up with one sore neck if you get rear ended without it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
These energy absobring features are one main reason why driving today is much safer than it was 20 years ago.....just ask the organizations that try to collect organs for transplants.....they are receiving less and less because one of their main sources is car accidents (no diseases equals healthy organs).........this is great news for the rest of us.
Cars now look like crap after a crash...but the intent is that these features take up all the energy from the impact and thereby leaving the passenger compartment intact. In the earlier days the vehicle itself would withstand the accident better but the people inside would not. Just think about dropping a tin-can with an egg inside.

·
Registered
858 Posts
gold wheels

even bicycle helmets are "styrofoam" underneath the thin plastic shell that is design to hold the shape of it, when you crash...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Re: Anybody want that six-element WRC wing?

MKIVSupra said:
I did not notice that because a porter put my plates on when I picked up my STi. One thing I did notice while putting a cover over my front plate is that it looks like they had to drill 2 new holes to mount the plate to. The 2 already there were too wide.
Thats true. I held up my old gary land license plate frame up to the front of my STI and the holes were not close enough on the STI. So if they had put a front plate on drilling woulda been required. Thank goodness i told them not to put one on. Peace!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
^^
^^^ just like a bike helmet ;) if they weren't there then your bumpers would be even more damaged an you'd be hurt more easily :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts