IW STi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I knew some sort of bad luck would happen to my BARELY week old STi(picked up on 12-23-03). Coming back to work from lunch last wek, I enter the onramp to the 101 and I notice a Silverado with 44" boggers and AT LEAST a 10inch lift on top of that, keep in mind NO MUD GUARDS. So I play it safe(or I TRY), and let him take off then I get on the gas about 5 car lengths back and keep about the same distance from him cruising at around 75. All of a sudden, at the last minute, I see the rear driver side tire kick up a rock that bounces on the asphalt and ends up creating a fisheye crack on the passenger side of the winshield! DAMN IT! So luckily I have a designated winshield guy thats done all my repairs in the past on my old car and had him fix the nickel-sized asterisk on my winshield within 10 minutes of getting the crack(he's a mobile business) in the parking lot where I work. He filled the cracks with a clear resin that basically makes the asterisk cracks dissapear and makes the fisheye point of impact look like a wooden pencil eraser sized waterspot. If you look hard enough, you can still see the outgoing cracks that were filled, but waaay better than what it was. I'm not about to place all the blame on the 4x4, because we were travelling over a crappy part of CA 101..nevertheless its my new car!! Just know what kinds of roads you travel on and know the cars/truck around you and hopefully you wont end up like me!

I'll post pics of the repair ASAP so that you guys can see and tell me what you think.

-STiLL

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
i wasn't as lucky as you(no repairman friend).happened to me on 95 north in va.watched the whole thing happen in slo mo ya know.
i was going to put some clear finger nail polish in it when i got to my friends house.but by the time i got there the crack had spread across the entire windshield.i'm waitin until next inspect due.my old lady got a quote of $350 not installed just the glass and parts,yikes

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here are the pics of the chip thats been filled and cracks filled too...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
close up inside...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
shot from inside the car..passenger side...see its not as bad as it looks initially..it looks like a water spot the size of the eraser off a wooden pencil.

-STiLL

·
Registered
225 Posts
Good thing you took care of it right away before it got any worse, I would say that is a fair compromise to having the windsheild replaced.

OT: but you are one lucky bastage to own both an STi and a Type R, I had to sell mine when i picked up the Subbie and I miss it soo much. :cry:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yah, I'm glad I was lucy enough to snag my buddy to repair it real quick. It really wasn't even that big of a crack, but a fisheye with an asterisk that was no bigger than the size of a nickel. The cracks werent even deep enough to feel from the inside either(wheew!) or else I may have voluntarily paid for a new winshield. I'd say my repairman buddy fixed the cracks up real nicely and filled the fisheye pretty good too. As you saw in the last picture, its really nothing major. Truth still remains though that still makes me mad...my car wasnt even a week old when it happened!! :x Oh well, its just one of those things.

As for the Type R, that's my older bro's pride and joy :D. I can only dream of owning both at the same time. That car is one bad mammajamma. Nothing like an ALMOST 9000rpm redline and VTEC to get you there. Nothing can replace a Type R, nothing. You'd think with him being a master Subaru Tech at the dealership I bought my STi from that he would have the STi and I would have gotten the Type R. Well, had he known back in 2000 that the STi was bound for the U.S. with 300hp/300tq in 2004, I think there may have been a chance of seeing 2 STi's on the driveway. :D

-STiLL

·
Registered
668 Posts
yeah, i'm always wary of trucks... especially 18 wheelers and dump trucks... i keep more than 5 cars distance from them.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yah same here...I guess it was just a freak accident this time because the rock bounced off the freeway then hit my glass from at least 5 cars away from the 4x4.

-STiLL

·
Registered
668 Posts
just be glad it wasn't worse... there's the occasional rare case that an 18 wheeler picks up a large rock like 3" across between it's rear wheels and hurls it into someone's windshield. I've heard of one case where that 3" rock landed squarely in someone's face. 3" rock + 60mph + face = bad.

·
Registered
586 Posts
filbert said:
just be glad it wasn't worse... there's the occasional rare case that an 18 wheeler picks up a large rock like 3" across between it's rear wheels and hurls it into someone's windshield. I've heard of one case where that 3" rock landed squarely in someone's face. 3" rock + 60mph + face = bad.
Almost happened to me.
Road construction + 3" Chunk of Asphalt - Safety Glass= Lucky me!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yep, Ive had plenty of bad luck with my STI in regards to the windshield. This past September, I had to replace my windshield twice within a week period!
I posted this a while ago but after I had the last windshield replace, a day after, incoming traffic SPATT out a big rock... which chipped my windshield once again.
I had to get it fixed before I had to pay for a third windshield. :( Luckly, I havent had any more windshield problems but maybe its due to the angle of the windshield
on our cars. Either way, good luck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Crap!

Got one right between the eyes yesterday.

So how much is a new windshield gonna cost?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Vader2k said:
Yep, Ive had plenty of bad luck with my STI in regards to the windshield. This past September, I had to replace my windshield twice within a week period!
I posted this a while ago but after I had the last windshield replace, a day after, incoming traffic SPATT out a big rock... which chipped my windshield once again.
I had to get it fixed before I had to pay for a third windshield. :( Luckly, I havent had any more windshield problems but maybe its due to the angle of the windshield
on our cars. Either way, good luck.

Hey I remember that...that's just horrible bro, that's some really bad luck I'd say. I'm glad I faired pretty well after the chip happened, everthing filled to prevent further spreading. As you can see from my pics, its not THAT bad...especially compared to what I've seen a lot of you guys post...I feel lucky! Hey, I just look at it this way...it could have been my paint that got hit, and that would have not been ANY good! I'd rather go through winshields than having my car repainted.

-STiLL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts