IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://http://skymall.com/webapp/skystore?process=prodDisplay&action=&pid=102152387&catId=Search

hand pump oil extractor

HAND PUMP OIL EXTRACTOR
AutoSport
$64.95

Hand Pump Oil Extractor

No more crawling under the car to drain your oil. Of course, changing your own oil saves money, but it can also save waiting time and hassle - plus, you know the job is done right. And, this is the easiest way to remove your old oil.

Unit comes with two different tube sizes, to fit your car's dipstick tube. After a few pumps to build a vacuum, oil flows from your crankcase into the canister.

If you're skeptical about extracting oil through the dipstick tube, consider the fact that this is how Mercedes-Benz factory technicians are trained to change oil. A safety float shuts off flow if unit is full. Great for lawn mowers and motorcycles, too.

Capacity: 6.5 liters (about 7 quarts)

·
Registered
107 Posts
i've used one on a friend's E46 M3. it gets most of the oil, there is still a little bit left, maybe like a 1/4 of a quart or less. but for the ease of use, and i'm sure you'd be using top quality synthetic stuff, the little tiny bit of old oil left in there wouldn't be a problem.

but still, you must get under the car to change the filter, and in my mind, i'd just drain the pan since i'm down there.

but yeah, there's my $.02

·
3,274 Posts

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha alright cool, thats what i was thinking. Thought it was nifty though.

anyone else?

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
umm what about the filter? You still need to crawl under to change the filter?

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
We have one in the garage, never used it on my car. I've seen my dad use it on the ferrari and porsches though. But youre right you still have to get the car up for the filter. It just seemed like a waste to me. I put the car on the lift in our garage and change the oil snd filter right after the other.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
fumoto valve makes the change just as easy.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I used to own a mobile oil change company and we used extraction systems. We still removed EVERY drain plug to ensure that ALL the oil was removed. That is over 10k oil changes in 3 years. Additionally, if you do not know what you are doing, you can insert the extraction tube too far into the engine and get it stuck. Some cars (Cadillac Northstars) cannot be extracted at all. The tube gets stuck EVERY time.

CB

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
thats a great tool to have aroudn the hsop for differental fluid changes and the like but just cant see it for oil.... :notsure:

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
2fas4u said:
thats a great tool to have aroudn the hsop for differental fluid changes and the like but just cant see it for oil.... :notsure:
Agreed. Like I said, how are you sure you got all the oil out?:confused:

CB

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Oh, additionally, Mercedes dipstick tube go all the way to the bottom of the pan and it takes a special fitting with o-rings to seal (I had them with my company) that fits into the top of the d/s tube. Then the d/s tube becomes the extraction wand.

CB

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
i just get the fumoto valve
+1 :D

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
2fas4u said:
umm what about the filter? You still need to crawl under to change the filter?
FWIW...
when i had my audi, and i took it in for service, they always stuck a vacuum cleaner looking hose in the tube that you use to fill the oil. and sucked the oil out like that.

i'm not sure if they did it because it's less messy, or what :)

J.

·
Registered
778 Posts
TheMadScientist said:
The only thing I would use that on is a boat. When you really can't get a drain pan under the motor.
Does your Sti float?;)

TMS
Yep, those things work great for boats. Much better than the little pumps that you operate with a drill. I hate changing oil in a boat.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i have one. Me and fizzymilk used it on my car then we used it to drain his drain pan that he had filled with oil from his bikes. eventually we filled the think up too much and oil went everywhere. the extractor dosnt get all the oil out of your car + you still have to change the filter. So IMO i dont see when anyone would buy it. maybe it would be good for other other fluids. the only other thing about the extractor is it does make it easy to transfer oil from the drain pan back into the emptys to take the used oil back to the parts store for disposal

1 - 20 of 23 Posts