IW STi Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I mean, in all fairness, I would expect a ~$36k STI to appropriately feel like a turd compared to say, a ~$100k+ GT-R. I'm not sure you could (should?) even compare?

I guess I'd skip out on dropping the $80-100k, grab myself a decent condition shell of an 04-05 STI, full rally spec cage her, build a quality stock hp motor, grab myself a co-driver, hit the stages, and drive the crap out of her (and probably still have $50k left over). But that's just me :) I think any car becomes a drag if you're just sitting in traffic, especially in SF.

Better to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow. Get that turd and get out on Laguna Seca with the extra money :) That of course, unless you have the money to get one of your three AND head out to Laguna Seca. If that's the case, then I'd prefer the M4.

Best of luck with your decision!

At this point, until Subaru upgrades the drivetrain, STI isn't even on my list. If I needed the all weather capabilities it probably would be, but I won't need that anymore and if I were to get a sedan it'd be a C63 sedan. An anywhere near stock STI feels like an absolute turd to me after driving with a rotated setup for years, and I don't want to get into a huge build again. Cars I'm considering in order of my priority right now:

2017+ GT-R Premium / 2017+ C63 AMG S Coupe are tied for first
2017+ M4 Competition
2017+ (turbo base models) Carrera or Carrera S

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I mean, in all fairness, I would expect a ~$36k STI to appropriately feel like a turd compared to say, a ~$100k+ GT-R. I'm not sure you could (should?) even compare?

I guess I'd skip out on dropping the $80-100k, grab myself a decent condition shell of an 04-05 STI, full rally spec cage her, build a quality stock hp motor, grab myself a co-driver, hit the stages, and drive the crap out of her (and probably still have $50k left over). But that's just me :) I think any car becomes a drag if you're just sitting in traffic, especially in SF.

Better to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow. Get that turd and get out on Laguna Seca with the extra money :) That of course, unless you have the money to get one of your three AND head out to Laguna Seca. If that's the case, then I'd prefer the M4.

Best of luck with your decision!
I had a fully built 450whp STi with KW coilovers and all the other goodies. While it was a really fun car, having a heavily modded car as your only vehicle sucks. When even little things break, you can't just take it to the dealership and get a loaner. You have to fix it yourself or book with a specialty shop who are usually booked weeks out. I got a C63S Coupe and I will be taking it to the track. I think the M4 is probably a better track car. The C63 is better at everything else though and I have been extremely underwhelmed by BMW's longevity the past few generations.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a fully built 450whp STi with KW coilovers and all the other goodies. While it was a really fun car, having a heavily modded car as your only vehicle sucks. When even little things break, you can't just take it to the dealership and get a loaner. You have to fix it yourself or book with a specialty shop who are usually booked weeks out. I got a C63S Coupe and I will be taking it to the track. I think the M4 is probably a better track car. The C63 is better at everything else though and I have been extremely underwhelmed by BMW's longevity the past few generations.

Definitely agree with the limitations of having a modded car as your only way of getting around. Would def be a pain. Glad to hear you’ll be getting her out on the track! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
990 Posts
this is why I got a beater before I heavily modded my car. but there are some days i wish it had stock everything so I didnt have to deal with the usual forged engine stuff. IE letting it warm up before driving off, the clutch is heavy since I needed the clamping force etc.

but its sure as hell fun to drive around. 500 whp is too much for just commuting around.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
this is why I got a beater before I heavily modded my car. but there are some days i wish it had stock everything so I didnt have to deal with the usual forged engine stuff. IE letting it warm up before driving off, the clutch is heavy since I needed the clamping force etc.

but its sure as hell fun to drive around. 500 whp is too much for just commuting around.
Honestly, if I had a lift or more time on my hands it would have been a great only car. The problem was I couldn't take the car to a normal auto shop for even basic repairs. I had to explain to one shop for 30 minutes that I had two fuel pumps. I needed something I can take to the dealership with any issues and a warranty is nice. It'll also be very nice to have over 500hp stock. Any mods I do will just be basic exhaust, maybe some wheels & tires.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts