IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm moving to California in 3 weeks and I'm selling the STi to upgrade to something else. Wondering if anyone has gone from STI to GT-R and has any feedback. I'm also considering a C63 AMG S Coupe. Any opinions from people who have made the switch? Mostly around daily drivability and comfort, we all know it's a hell of a lot faster. Looking at 2016+

TL;DR -- I decided on a C63S coupe in the matte silver color. The GT-R is impressively fast, but falls short of many other cars on the market in other ways. The C63 coupe has a supercar engine, a great trans, phenomenal suspension, incredible interior, and I think with the colors they offer and carbon fiber packages it looks siiiick. The panoramic sunroof is a nice touch too. Rear seats were most usable of the cars I checked out as well.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, I'm looking for a performance bump, but most of all a platform with more depth. I'm not going to heavily mod this next car, maybe a couple little things. The GT-R has been my target for a long time, but I keep hearing how long in the tooth it has become compared to the competition and looking at the interior I'm just trying to figure out if anyone has bought a recent one and been disappointed they didn't go for something more luxurious and up-to-date. Being that I'll be in San Francisco, there won't be a ton of opportunities to stretch the legs of any car I get so I'm leaning more toward luxury than I ever have in the past.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've always wanted a Nismo GT-R for the longest time but decided to go with a 911 TTS instead. Really happy with that decision. The car is both luxurious and brutal. Thus, insanely fun to drive and a good daily when needed. If you are able to, I would recommend going with a Porsche over the GT-R. If you can get a hold of a GT3, even better.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Honestly, if I could afford a GT3 I wouldn't be looking at any of the cars being discussed here. I'm only interested in 2-3 year old cars with low miles right now, if not new. I have some interest in the 2017+ Carrera and Carrera S, but the "standard" 911s just don't get me excited so they're not at the forefront, and as much as the rear seats in the GT-R and C63 aren't the greatest, the usability for short distances is a big plus for me as I'd like to be able to take my car with multiple friends and this will be my only vehicle.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
i am back in an STi after having previously owned a 911 turbo. the utility of the STi is very hard to find paired with fun driving.

sure you can 'upgrade', but never 'replace'.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At this point, until Subaru upgrades the drivetrain, STI isn't even on my list. If I needed the all weather capabilities it probably would be, but I won't need that anymore and if I were to get a sedan it'd be a C63 sedan. An anywhere near stock STI feels like an absolute turd to me after driving with a rotated setup for years, and I don't want to get into a huge build again. Cars I'm considering in order of my priority right now:

2017+ GT-R Premium / 2017+ C63 AMG S Coupe are tied for first
2017+ M4 Competition
2017+ (turbo base models) Carrera or Carrera S

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
I would go for the M4 based on your needs of city life and wanting to cart around friends. The other cars don't realistically support that.

Also, you will definitely find many amazing roads to stretch the legs of any car you buy around the coastal mountains. I've lived in the South Bay Area my whole life and I currently reside in Los Gatos. I get to drive amazing mountains road to and from work every day. You head a little south of SF and there is a playground of mountain roads to explore. I think the M4 would be best suited for these roads.

If you weren't looking to cart around friends, I'd pick the Porsche options without a 2nd thought. The GTR is an awesome car and I've driven a couple but they want wide open smooth roads. The BMW and Porsche will fair much better around here.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Cart around friends in a 2 door coupe?

M3 the better choice maybe?

I would go for the M4 based on your needs of city life and wanting to cart around friends. The other cars don't realistically support that.

Also, you will definitely find many amazing roads to stretch the legs of any car you buy around the coastal mountains. I've lived in the South Bay Area my whole life and I currently reside in Los Gatos. I get to drive amazing mountains road to and from work every day. You head a little south of SF and there is a playground of mountain roads to explore. I think the M4 would be best suited for these roads.

If you weren't looking to cart around friends, I'd pick the Porsche options without a 2nd thought. The GTR is an awesome car and I've driven a couple but they want wide open smooth roads. The BMW and Porsche will fair much better around here.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Fair statement, But they are all coupes. M4 just seems like the more friendly platform for passengers. If it were me, I’d be looking at the RS3. If my budget were bigger, that’s what I would have purchased rather than my new STI.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Having both a 2017 Carrera 4S and C63, I can say without a doubt they are in a completely different league. The C63 is very similar to the STi in terms or utility, since it has 4-doors and a usable trunk. The Porsche handles MUCH better. Once up to 60 or so I think the C63 will take the 911, stock for stock, it's just a fast car. Haven't done 1/4 miles comparisons on the dyno yet, but we've already been playing with some things for the 911, and have plans for the AMG too. Can't go wrong with either car! The C63 is a great cruiser and the 911 is awesome on curvy backroads. I was super skeptical of the C63, but the more I drive the car, the more I like it. The only thing that keeps it from being the 'perfect' sedan is no manual :(

Looked at the RS3, but the backseats were 911 useless, except that you had doors to get to them. Also looked at some M-series cars, but couldn't get past some of the reliability issues that were being reported. GT-R didn't make the cut due to the trans/drivability and long term feedback.

Just my 2 cents. Can't really go 'wrong' with any of these choices :)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Having both a 2017 Carrera 4S and C63, I can say without a doubt they are in a completely different league. The C63 is very similar to the STi in terms or utility, since it has 4-doors and a usable trunk. The Porsche handles MUCH better. Once up to 60 or so I think the C63 will take the 911, stock for stock, it's just a fast car. Haven't done 1/4 miles comparisons on the dyno yet, but we've already been playing with some things for the 911, and have plans for the AMG too. Can't go wrong with either car! The C63 is a great cruiser and the 911 is awesome on curvy backroads. I was super skeptical of the C63, but the more I drive the car, the more I like it. The only thing that keeps it from being the 'perfect' sedan is no manual :(

Looked at the RS3, but the backseats were 911 useless, except that you had doors to get to them. Also looked at some M-series cars, but couldn't get past some of the reliability issues that were being reported. GT-R didn't make the cut due to the trans/drivability and long term feedback.

Just my 2 cents. Can't really go 'wrong' with any of these choices :)
Have you driven the C63 coupe? That's what I'm leaning toward at this point. It's just downright fun. I like the M4, but in all honesty, it sounds like a piece of garbage compared to the C63 and it just doesn't feel as fast even though it might actually be faster. The 4.0 in the Merc is unbelievable.

I don't want to get a sedan again, but seats like the 911's are just useless. I'm not planning on filling the back seats frequently, but I'd like to be able to fit a couple adults back there for shorter trips without feeling like it's a clown car.

Seems like the GT-R has really aged, damn :lol:

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Have you driven the C63 coupe? That's what I'm leaning toward at this point. It's just downright fun. I like the M4, but in all honesty, it sounds like a piece of garbage compared to the C63 and it just doesn't feel as fast even though it might actually be faster. The 4.0 in the Merc is unbelievable.

I don't want to get a sedan again, but seats like the 911's are just useless. I'm not planning on filling the back seats frequently, but I'd like to be able to fit a couple adults back there for shorter trips without feeling like it's a clown car.

Seems like the GT-R has really aged, damn :lol:
I need to backup a bit here. I've got the older 6.2 liter C63 (2014) Sedan. I've not driven a coupe, but I have meet a few other owners nearby, one that has a coupe. Another that spent a lot of time going back and forth between the newer turbo C63 and older N/A V-8. He went with the older car and loves it. The guy with the newer turbo version loves his as well, but not convinced the coupe was the right choice. He does have a little one, old enough to seat himself, but the rear seat gets accessed probably a lot more than on occasion. It gets old flipping the seat forward and you just can't put stuff in there nearly as easily as you can with a 4-door. I personally prefer the looks fo the coupe, but since owning an STi I'm having trouble going back to the lower practicality of 2-door for a daily. Maybe once my kids are grown, I'll feel differently again?

Speed wise the N/A and turbo cars are well matched. For me the 32-valve V-8 torque and sounds were just intoxicating. Not that the 4.0 sound bad, just different. This is where things start to get subjective of course. 1st world problems :p

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, I see. That one has a torque converter auto, right? Part of what has me so interested in the C63 S coupe is how wild some of them can get. For example, this one . Huge carbon ceramics, muti-mode suspension, twin turbo v8, multi-clutch trans, and that interior... I'm nearly sold on it

I have zero interest in children anytime soon so the back seats are really just for the odd day some friends want to pile in.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Pulled the trigger on a CPO 2017 C63 S coupe. I drove both coupe and sedan C63, M4, 911, and GT-R. For anyone else in this dilemma, the 911 is hands down the best drivers car of the group, but it's a little bland for my taste and it doesn't handle rough roads very well. The GT-R is fast as F&$%, but it honestly feels like a 5 year old car at this point. The M4 is awesome in a lot of areas, but I don't like the steering and the engine is just not my favorite. It's a great car, but it feels like something is missing. After driving the C63 sedan I was a little underwhelmed in terms of grip and a lack of "planted" feel that I felt in the rest of the cars. It just felt like a slightly stiffer C class with a monster drivetrain, but when I drove the coupe it fixed all that and then some. Apparently the coupe shares very little suspension wise with the sedan, it has a wider track, and a different diff calibration. It feels like a German version of a pony car which is basically exactly what I was looking for. The V8 in these cars is downright incredible. Easily on par with most supercar engines, and the overall package of the S coupe just feels a lot more special and exciting than most of the cars I drove. Very stoked. I'll have more pics/videos when it gets here, shipping from Virginia.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Nice grab. Debated going to a GTR myself before selling the STI. In the end I could not part with:
* 4 doors
* hatchback
* AWD

That wrote off a lot of vehicles.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice grab. Debated going to a GTR myself before selling the STI. In the end I could not part with:
* 4 doors
* hatchback
* AWD

That wrote off a lot of vehicles.
Why do you want AWD in the bay area? Just for the handling dynamics?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts