IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My OEM suspension is blown in my 07 CGM STi with 64k. I need a new suspension and am very confused. I want a "comfortable, BMW-Esque" drive which I read is attainable. From what I gather coilovers are overkill for those of us that don't track or maybe a couple of times a year and just spirited driving. Im reading that coilovers are overkill because of the adjustability when in reality how much adjusting does one really do, yes if you are racing every weekend you are probably changing the setup according to the track etc but for DD that kind of adjustability isn't needed. So after reading the struts can improve OEM handling and comfort at the same time why should I get coilovers? Now I look at the Ohlins or kw variants 3 are worthwhile and provide comfort and handling but 3k seems a little high for this car, I am reading that Bilstein struts are just amazing I really want those but they do not make anymore, unfortunately. I read that BC BR are pretty much trash which leaves me with these pedders Sportz rider, which I can barely find any info. I know they drop by 20mm front and back, along with springs and valving matched for the vehicle at that ride height supposedly providing a better than OEM ride. Has anyone tried these? Any thoughts or input greatly appreciated I am overwhelmed about what new suspension to get, I just bought some re71 and don't want to wear them out the wrong way so I need to order ASAP! Thanks in advance for any input

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don’t overlook the adjustable Fixed Strut solution offered by Feal Suspension.

I had them redo my Coilovers, but had Feal been selling them at the time I switched out of my OEM struts, I would have bought them instead of dropping $3k on coilover setup.

Feal Fixed Perch Struts, 05-07 Subaru WRX STI

Good luck choosing a solution!
Really? What suspension setup do you have and what kind of driving do you do? Thanks so much for the input I'm dead stuck between these and fortune auto 500s...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Really? What suspension setup do you have and what kind of driving do you do? Thanks so much for the input I'm dead stuck between these and fortune auto 500s...
I got the TiC (Turn In Concepts) SST Coilovers wayyy back. Not sure that he sells them anymore. Anyways, they were based on AST Coilovers (I think he custom valved them IIRC) with Swift springs and helper springs; one way adjustable.
These are not the type for slamming the car and (at the time) claimed to have the most strut travel for Coilovers...which is what I wanted.

Driving style: back then I was doing “sporty street driving” with a focus on driving through the mountains/hills on the weekend. in hindsight the Coilovers were overkill.

background: I was running Swift Spec R springs on OEM struts before and while it was better than OEM springs/shocks, it still had that stock “jiggle” that I hated. By the way, on the topic of the jiggle, the OEM drivers seat has some effect on that too, but I digress.

I was originally hoping for the Bilstein Fixed Perch Struts, but Bilstein stopped making them a couple of years before I was ready to make my suspension change. FML. I Was absolutely fine with Swift Spec R ride height...I just wanted some adjustability in damping to match my ride preference!
So IMO I think a good potential solution would be the Feal FPS, but please research more! As they say, YMMV.

If you do go Coilovers, do it right the first time. Don’t be afraid to spend a little more on something that drastically affects the character of the car. Coilovers, when Set up correctly can offer the best of both worlds—better handling AND a more comfortable ride.

side note: I think I mentioned earlier that Feal also renewed my Coilovers too; nice work and I’m happily NOT jiggling when driving.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't had any experience with coilovers, just a few brief rides as a passenger so not really that great, just going off information, reviews, and what others say which is all over the map. Are you saying that the fortune auto 500s aren't worth the money in your opinion and wouldn't be 2-3x the performance as just specifically valved for STi pedders Sprortz Ryder all complete strut kit in terms of price?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hmm.

I don't have any experience riding in Fortune coilover equipped cars, so i cannot tell you. Definitely a possibility though. Just remember that parts only are part of the equation. Unless you're doing the work, don't forget about Install, and Alignment.

On the other hand, my gut feeling is to stay away from Pedders Sportz Ryder EZFit, as those assemblies simply look like OEM style replacements...that aren't made by OEM. In other words, maybe if i was just selling the car and needed to get it presentable, i'd toss those on.

For the ~$1000 you'd be spending there, the Feal Fixed Perch Struts are $1,100 (though they are struts ONLY)...
Then again, the Pedders don't mention they are lowering springs anyways.

Do you have lowering springs already in your car?
If not, i loved my Swift Spec R springs, while others swear by other brands like RCE Springs...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm.

I don't have any experience riding in Fortune coilover equipped cars, so i cannot tell you. Definitely a possibility though. Just remember that parts only are part of the equation. Unless you're doing the work, don't forget about Install, and Alignment.

On the other hand, my gut feeling is to stay away from Pedders Sportz Ryder EZFit, as those assemblies simply look like OEM style replacements...that aren't made by OEM. In other words, maybe if i was just selling the car and needed to get it presentable, i'd toss those on.

For the ~$1000 you'd be spending there, the Feal Fixed Perch Struts are $1,100 (though they are struts ONLY)...
Then again, the Pedders don't mention they are lowering springs anyways.

Do you have lowering springs already in your car?
If not, i loved my Swift Spec R springs, while others swear by other brands like RCE Springs...
Yea I don't have any experience with them either. My friend who is a Subie nerd recommended them to me and many online say good things. Apparently they are the best bang for your buck, they sought out to create the first American hand made bespoke affordable (starting 1300) coilovers. They tout
  • Amsoil Synthetic Shock Oil
  • Concave Flow Digressive Piston Technology™
  • Custom Built – Assembly Certificate and Dyno Graph Supplied with Shocks
  • 5 Year Limited Manufacturer’s Warranty
  • 24-Step Simultaneous Rebound and Compression Adjustable Dampers
  • Monotube Damper with High-Pressure Nitrogen
  • T6 6061 Aluminum Mounts and Camber Plates
  • Rebuildable and Revalveable at our Facility in Richmond, VA
  • Modularity – Upgradeable to 2-Way or 3-Way Canister
No Revalves Necessary
The ultra-wide range of adjustment offered by the CFD piston allows for the convenience of tuning your suspension without having to revalve your dampers. A conventional shock absorber can withstand a 2kg spring rate difference before requiring a revalve, whereas the Concave Flow Digressive Technology has a broad range of 8kg spring rates.

Fortune Auto is one of the few US-based suspension companies that actually inspects, assembles and services shocks in the USA. We are the only company that offers this on height/damping adjustable coilovers at our price point. Our shock assembly and service center uses multiple state of the art Roehrig 2VS shock dynos that help us calibrate and match all Fortune Auto shocks before being shipped out. We also use the dyno for thoroughly testing, researching, and developing new products before they go into production. We develop race-winning, performance suspension systems for Japanese and European vehicles. The advanced suspension technology found in our dampers is derived from successes in World Challenge, Redline Time Attack, Formula Drift, One Lap of America, NASA Racing Series, along with being the official suspension supplier of Global Time Attack. Research and development on the racetrack allows us to deliver the best suspension system on the market which optimizes comfort, reliability, and performance.

. Whether this is all really important or not I have no idea, the reviews all rave about the fortune auto 500s and Cygnus performance x1 coilovers. Although after upgrading to swifts, radial bearings and camber plates all around its 2800 which is the same as KW V3s... The pedders come with springs that drop the car 40mm and 35mm I want to say or 2 inches but are specifically valved for that strut length so it is supposedly much better than OEM with lowering spring. Unfortunately, I can't find any reviews on them I am really interested in the struts from Feals, have you tried them? I'm not tracking my car, just building an awesome DD so I know coilovers are kind of overkill for me, having said that there aren't many options, but I would be so happy to spend 1100 to have a lowered very driveable and slightly better handling than OEM if they were struts, I don't believe in or need to overcomplicate things. I am not going to be lifting my car every weekend and changing the set up to get a more dialed-in ride for the canyon and then switching back to commuting. Something a little better than OEM and lower that is reliable would be amazing, the only reason I am looking at coilovers is they don't make many struts anymore like the Bilsteins, Ohlins, and race comps, unfortunately. Sounds like the feals might be the answer for me?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it is an 07 and so it's old, it is starting to seem daunting to fix and make it reliable again... I got the AOS and killer B pick up, getting suspension, need bushings, hoses, pumps, and plastic tanks replaced... maybe I should just sell and get something newer but it wouldn't be as cool or fun IMO :cry:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well it's "decisions, decisions"

I can only say what was my experience and what I like. It doesn't mean that it is what's right for you of course.

After waffling about that, I can only say:

I hated the stock springs and struts (and OEM seat). Too much wiggle/jiggle. I lowered my 06 with Swift Spec R springs, and was quite happy with it, but eventually figured out it's still not a perfect match for damping for my style. I was looking for Fixed Perch Struts to not break the bank, but ended up having to go with a Coilover solution because there were no such adjustable FPS options at the time i looked.

There is now such a solution from Feal. Keep in mind i haven't driven an STi with Feal's FPS, but the fact that it's adjustable, and that I had a good experience with them rebuilding my AST (TiC spec'd) coilovers, makes me comfortable recommending it.

An FPS solution, in my opinion, pretty much addresses your stated goals.

Coilovers are more expensive, and cover a much larger range of costs. Remember that they have a service interval (aka rebuild) as well, typically some time after the 3-year mark. Also coilovers typically need more attention to setup correctly (either you do it, or pay extra at the alignment place) vs. springs/struts combo. It cost me ~$1100 to rebuild my coilovers, not to mention the cost for A. removal of coilovers labor, and alignment, and B. reinstallation of coilovers labor, and alignment. soooo, yeah. Gotta pay to play, ya know?

whatever work you can get done yourself saves you in the long run. Good luck with your decision. Keep researching and asking!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it's "decisions, decisions"

I can only say what was my experience and what I like. It doesn't mean that it is what's right for you of course.

After waffling about that, I can only say:

I hated the stock springs and struts (and OEM seat). Too much wiggle/jiggle. I lowered my 06 with Swift Spec R springs, and was quite happy with it, but eventually figured out it's still not a perfect match for damping for my style. I was looking for Fixed Perch Struts to not break the bank, but ended up having to go with a Coilover solution because there were no such adjustable FPS options at the time i looked.

There is now such a solution from Feal. Keep in mind i haven't driven an STi with Feal's FPS, but the fact that it's adjustable, and that I had a good experience with them rebuilding my AST (TiC spec'd) coilovers, makes me comfortable recommending it.

An FPS solution, in my opinion, pretty much addresses your stated goals.

Coilovers are more expensive, and cover a much larger range of costs. Remember that they have a service interval (aka rebuild) as well, typically some time after the 3-year mark. Also coilovers typically need more attention to setup correctly (either you do it, or pay extra at the alignment place) vs. springs/struts combo. It cost me ~$1100 to rebuild my coilovers, not to mention the cost for A. removal of coilovers labor, and alignment, and B. reinstallation of coilovers labor, and alignment. soooo, yeah. Gotta pay to play, ya know?

whatever work you can get done yourself saves you in the long run. Good luck with your decision. Keep researching and asking!
You are so right and make so many valid points in my opinion. After at least 30 hours of asking others for their input and getting so many varying answers for so many different reasons, your input has been the most invaluable. You know what you are talking about from experience, knowledgable and well versed on cars and in general, thoughtfully explained each of your points and reasons out and no one else including tuners has done so, probably because of time, energy, knowledge, and incentives, etc, so really I appreciate everything and you have said and it has cleared up a lot and made this decision easier for me without question. I will post soon what I end up with. Thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts