IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pedal feel is pretty poor and the pads don't really have any bite. I stomped on em today and couldn't get the ABS to kick in. Car has 850 miles on it right now.

I'm wondering if the factory bothered to bed in the pads, or is this typical behavior for the stock pads?

·
Registered
307 Posts
The factory does not bee the pads. Read your manual for break in procedures.
Actually, if (or when) you replace your pads with new or domething better, dont hold your breath for the shop who installed them to bed your pads for you.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Compared to race pads, I agree. But for street pads I think the OEM's are pretty good. I didn't realize how nice they were until I installed a set of Carbotech Bobcats... I'm going back to my stock pads.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do all my own basic work, brakes, suspension, etc, so I bed in the pads myself. Tons of fun bedding in race pads at night! Sparks flying out of the front wheels, woo-hoo!

Sounds like I need to go out and bed in these stock pads and let em temper and see what happens. Otherwise I'll go ***** to the dealer about it and make em give me new pads and bleed the whole system. Course I'll give em my Motul 600 to use, so that'll save me a little labor...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Bedding is the same as breaking in right? Sorry im a noob, and you got my attention with the whole sparks flying out the front wheels.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, maybe. The way I bed in pads is I go out and do about 7-8 hard stops from 50mph to 10mph, let the pads cool for 10-15 minutes, then repeat. Then I drive home trying to not use the brakes at all and let the car sit overnight in the garage with the e-brake off to let the pads temper.

With race pads I'll do stops from about 80mph to 10mph...

·
Poor Speed Racer
4,432 Posts
docwyte said:
Well, maybe. The way I bed in pads is I go out and do about 7-8 hard stops from 50mph to 10mph, let the pads cool for 10-15 minutes, then repeat. Then I drive home trying to not use the brakes at all and let the car sit overnight in the garage with the e-brake off to let the pads temper.

With race pads I'll do stops from about 80mph to 10mph...
yea, to bed in pads, you want to warm then up 40-10's moderate pressure.. then get them HOT 50-10's and then dont touch them for 20 or some minutes.

however this is how i do my race pads. As for stockers i would say a few 50-10's with medium, then increasing to hard pressure should be fine.

I really like the oem pads, i mean they are not race pads and the stop well for a car that weights 3300lbs.

·
Registered
442 Posts
It may not be the pads. My brakes didn't seem that great at first either. When I bled the system with Motul RBF600, some rather long (1-2inch) bubles came out of the front calipers on the inside bleeder. After bleeding myself (I mean the brakes), the brakes are rock solid and I can activate ABS any time I want. Try bleeding the system with some quality fluid or have the dealer do it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
It was more the old one man, one woman way. My GF is very understanding.:D

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
docwyte said:
Then I drive home trying to not use the brakes at all and let the car sit overnight in the garage with the e-brake off to let the pads temper.
Your OK to use the parking brake with the STI since its a seperate drum brake.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just replaced my stock pads with Ferodo DS2500 pads front and rear, along with SS lines and Motul 600 brake fluid. It's a totally different car in terms of braking. Pretty amazing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
docwyte said:
Pedal feel is pretty poor and the pads don't really have any bite. I stomped on em today and couldn't get the ABS to kick in. Car has 850 miles on it right now.

I'm wondering if the factory bothered to bed in the pads, or is this typical behavior for the stock pads?
Pedal feel can be fixed with a good bleed. Go drive a lesser car around for a while and then go jump in your STi and see if you change your mind about the brakes. ;)

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
docwyte said:
Problem is I'm coming off my porsche... I'll do a bleed and see what happens...
If that's the case, I can understand why you would feel this way. There's a couple of things you can do that would increase feel...

1. better pads
2. stainless steel braided lines with quality fluid (I like ATE SuperBlue)
3. install a brake master cylinder brace

If your brakes still don't feel good... I don't know what else to recommend. I can say that I notice a massive difference in feel between my street pads and race pads, so it seems obvious to me that changing pad compound would probably do the trick for you.

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
i'm fine here

·
Registered
314 Posts
Mykl said:
3. install a brake master cylinder brace
:confused: This is the first time I hear about this. What does this do? And how does it work?

And what is this? "Ride: '04.5" ???

If I had to guess I would say you collided an 04 and an 05 inside a high speed magnetic accelerator! :eek: Or better yet, perhaps you collided 04, 05 and 06? That would produce better results for sure... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
442 Posts
nhluhr said:
The rubber-coated backing plates that come with the stock pads also contribute slightly to a spongy pedal feel.
So can you take these out? If so, which pieces should I leave in (if I recall, there are a few shims in there)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts