IW STi Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still driving my sti on the stock tires daily in chicagoland is anyone still using their sti? Its not that bad as long as the roads have been cleaned of snow. Any light accumulation of snow then I'm in trouble.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Nope, mine are safely stored away till warmer temps come around. I read somewhere that using the stock tires is not good even when there is no snow, because they get too cold. Being a high performance tire, they dissipate(sp?) the heat away from the tire, and you loose grip and they might even get damaged going over bumps on the road.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You're nuts for driving on stock tires in Chicago. I hope for you and your cars safety you stay off the road when it snows.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Subaru Tech Said WAit on Oil Change

Haha Me and 3 other local sti's in my subdivision are all still driving on the stock tires. Daily Drivers.

First there is no snow on the roads. I don't drive if there is accumulation I tried that in my drive way and its unsafe.

The tires hasn't failed me yet as long as there is no accumulation of snow on the road. If I drive after the plow gone thru its no problem. Chicagoland has a great system for plowing so far.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Subaru Factory Boost Guage

I am running the stocks in KC. I did drive a bit in a couple inches of snow and it was not that bad. It was much better than my RX-7 with all seasons, but that is not saying much.

I decided to keep the stock rubber and garage it when it is nasty out. I have a RSX type S that gets around fine with all seasons. I wanted to spend money on modifications other than A/S tires. Next winter I will have new tires. I doubt the stock rubber will last 1.5 years.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Chicagoland has a great system for plowing so far.
Yeah a million tons of salt. I don't think I have even seen a snow plow around here actually use it's plow unless there is a foot or more on the road. BTW, I had a blast driving all over in my STi with the snow tires a couple weeks ago when we got all that snow on a Sunday.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
xmen said:
I am still driving my sti on the stock tires daily in chicagoland is anyone still using their sti? Its not that bad as long as the roads have been cleaned of snow. Any light accumulation of snow then I'm in trouble.
Not only you will lose traction under snow or water, it is also temperature that counts ... I changed to AllSeasons as just in time ... Driving the car around at temps below 32F made me feel I was driving over 4 soap bars...

My RE070s are nicely stored in my walk-in closet awaiting new wheels and 50F+ temperatures... 8)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Actually I am and I have no problems going... it's just the stopping that is hard to do... To Say the stock tires can't handle "Snow and Rain" is a farse... the Tires are great for going cause the wide channels allow the "Snow or rain" to escape better, but when stopping the tires don't allow for grip in the snow cause the channel then becomes packed with the snow causing a slick effect... Though I've noticed down shifting makes it easier to stop, and when the sleet hit, my car actually did a lot better than the snow with the stock tires... You might call me or others crazy whom are driving with stock tires, but not even different tires can guarantee anything...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tierlac said:
Actually I am and I have no problems going... it's just the stopping that is hard to do... To Say the stock tires can't handle "Snow and Rain" is a farse... the Tires are great for going cause the wide channels allow the "Snow or rain" to escape better, but when stopping the tires don't allow for grip in the snow cause the channel then becomes packed with the snow causing a slick effect... Though I've noticed down shifting makes it easier to stop, and when the sleet hit, my car actually did a lot better than the snow with the stock tires... You might call me or others crazy whom are driving with stock tires, but not even different tires can guarantee anything...
You are correct there is no problem with acceleration its just stopping distance. I just drive slower and stop sooner. My neighbor with a Legacy and allseason tires drove into her mailbox last week.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I just don't think is worth the risk. Just messing up a wheel alone will cost you more than a set of winter tires. Plus, you never know when a surprise snow shower can catch you.

That's my opinion.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've driven on summer tires in the cold winters of chicago and then switched to snows...

Have you ever felt the summer tires in the cold? Rock hard... with snows they still have some 'friction' to them cold. talking to guys on the track, sometimes summer tires if they get too cold, can have their rubber composition changed permamently. *shrug* take it for what it's worth.

Me? When this past weekend had the icy roads and sleet, I was driving thinking "I'm so glad I have snow tires and AWD". Still was pretty slippery...can't change the laws of physics. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm not saying winter tires are bad, but to sit there and completely say someone's crazy for doing it is ignorance... I will be switching to winter tires soon, just for the fact that I too would like to be able to slow down quicker, than acting like I'm driving on a frozen lake on slicks... *shrugs* I didn't want to settle for second rate tires, I wanted something that was good all season tire stuff, but just chucking $1000 dollars on tires is hard all at once...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hoods

I'm in Akron, Ohio and I'm still using the stock tires. The car drives perfectly fine. I even took a trip up to Pontiac, Michigan when an Alberta Clipper came through. The roads were just smashed, but the stock STi tires did great.

I mean of course if you had all seasons or winter tires, you'd have an even easier time. But if you know how to drive in the snow, it's all good. I also could not afford to slam down extra cash at the moment for additional tires, so I just take it easy, and the car drives great.

The salt trucks are a different story! :x

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Dunlop M3's only way to go. :p Alos different wheels; don't want salt on my gold ones. Besides silver with a blue center looks great. It's like having more than one girlfriend- variety is the spice in life and all that. 8)

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Well here it almost grilling time, March 17, and I still have my snowshoes on but guess what it's snowing out right now! :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Still driving on the stock snow tires... 11K miles on them how long do they last?? Its not that bad now in the snow since knowing to use the manual DCCD helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts