IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it could be used as a safety device as well. i'm guessing the costs to prove it were mounting so investors decided he should abandon it as the primary goal.

i'm glad to see the price is reasonable.

i'm planning on getting one for the STi so i'll report in later after i track it early next year.

http://www.cg-lock.com

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Wow...that's one tacky website. Words missing from sentences on the first page, and claims like "how do you shave time off your autocross run....easy, with the CG-Lock, you'll get more precise handling!"

Ugh.....I'll buy a harness.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
this if very funny. $40 eh? from my reading, all it does is lock the lap portion of a stock 3pt belt. a $3 locking clip (the kind provided with every babyseat) accomplishs the *same* thing. (see pic below.) i had a spare clip and just tried it. kind of a neat idea if it works. i'll test it when i'm at the track next friday.

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
uh, it's a little different than that. you snap the belt on then you tighten or clip the CG-Lock. the concept allows you to apply and remove it quickly without re-adjustment.

i also have those baby seat things, since i have a 20 month old girl. that may work but as soon as you release the lap belt from the buckle, it may through off your adjustment since the shoulder belt will retract.

worth a try though IMO. you don't have to wait to track it either. slap it on for the commute home and see if it works getting in and out of the car without major re-adjustment.

:)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
TRM said:
uh, it's a little different than that. you snap the belt on then you tighten or clip the CG-Lock. the concept allows you to apply and remove it quickly without re-adjustment.
the way i'm using the locking clip is equally easy, i think; at least for a $3 piece. setting it up (obvious for people with babies ;) ) is like so:

- slide the seat all the way back.
- put on the seatbelt
- hold the two sides of the belt that go through the "tongue"/clip
- unbuckle the belt
- install the locking clip, shortening the lap side a little.
- buckle up again; readjust the clip if needed to make the lap snugger.
- now just slide the seat forward into the "proper" or preferred driving position causing the lap portion to tighten nicely.

this works well for me since i always drive daily with the seat in the same position as when i go to the track. consequently, i slide the seat as a normal thing.

TRM said:
...but as soon as you release the lap belt from the buckle, it may through off your adjustment since the shoulder belt will retract.
nah, not a chance. you can safely release the seatbelt without that clip budging. been doing it for 6+ years now.

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how do you actually stay forward when moving the seat up to driving position?

i usually go tight enough so that i can not lean forward when in the driving position. this means i wouldn't be able to keep my right hand on the lever to allow the seat to move forward. so i wouldn't be ablt to move up that last few inches without having to release the lever?

i guess i need to try it.

:)

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
no need to buy anything! pull seatbelt out as usual, hold buckle then give 2-3 twists, latch belt and pull shoulder strap to tighten lap belt. the twists will lock/hold lap belt tight. those of you that have safety in mind....the twists are so close to latch that webbing will be flat around your body.
dont forget that, as mentioned, move seat foward 1-2 positions foward after belt is secured.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Re: Exhaust ???

TRM said:
how do you actually stay forward when moving the seat up to driving position? i usually go tight enough so that i can not lean forward
when in the driving position.
?? i'm confused. this only locks the lap portion; the lower two points. the diagonal chest strap is loose as usual.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
nhsilversti said:
no need to buy anything! pull seatbelt out as usual, hold buckle then give 2-3 twists...
i'd heard someone quickly describe this procedure, but it wasn't until this thread that i understand what they were describing. pretty neat.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You don't need a clip or to twist the belt. Simply slide the seat back, then quickly pull the chest strap away from chest to lock. Keep belt tight with hand then lean forward against the belt to keep tension on it as you then slide the seat forward to the point it fits snugly across chest. I used to twist until someone showed me this simple alternative, which actually works much better :D

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
neat idea. i wonder how well it works, though, if you only slide your see forward 2 or 3 clicks. i'll have to try it.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
4MLA1FN said:
i'll test it when i'm at the track next friday.
i used the babyseat clip method last friday. it works very well. i had none of the sliding around problems i had the first time. i'd recommend it, especially given the cost.

the cg-lock would definately be more convenient however; e.g. on the first session, my instructor drove the car for a few laps, so i had to remove the clip since the lapbelt was sized for me.

one nice thing about these lapbelt lock mechanisms/approaches in general (in contrast to just using the stock belt normally) is that they remind/force you to empty your bladder before getting on the track. as a safety precaution, you should do this anyway, but if you don't, ouch, you're sure gonna feel it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts