IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
jammers

I know this has been discussed briefly in "STi Exterior", but I'm wondering if there are any issues specific to the STi? To give you some context: I live in Markham, so I'm planning to take my car through either a Sunoco or Shell touch free wash.

Two of my concerns:

1) Getting soap and stuff sprayed into the hood scoop.
2) Possibility that the rear spoiler may be damaged.

With the salt trucks standing ready to go full tilt, I want to be able to run my STi through a touch free car wash once a week to remove some of the salt accumulation from the paint and underbody.

T

·
0 Posts
I just used the Sunoco car wash today with the soft touch and had no problems what so ever. I was a bit hesitant but decided to give it a try. The hood scoop should not be a problem has soap and such will be washed through it just like rain or snow.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've use Esso's touchless wash for many times. It doesn't seem to give me any trouble with the IC, and nothing but water and soap touches the rear spoiler. So I would say it's ok to use them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Automatic carwash....

Definately interested in this one as well. Krusty, I'm in Richmond Hill and if you use a wash in the area I'd like to know what your results are. I've been very hesitant to try with mine mainly because of the rear spoiler.

If I get up the courage tomorrow, I may try the Sunoco wash in my area. It has laser detectors that are supposed to raise the equipment if something is about to hit the car but I'm not so trusting.

Whoever tries first chime in please :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do Bigman :) There's a new Sunoco "EcoWash" car wash at 14th Avenue and Markham Rd that I may try either today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm in markham as well, I didn't want to run it through the sunoco wash cause i noticed that the belt the car travels on is quite high...i don't want it to scratch the rim...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I read somewhere that the newer car washes use a new system to draw the car through the wash. The Sunoco that's around the corner from my house has the old system where you have to drive the your car up and you have to make sure that your left wheels line up with the track. Since I'm running snows on the stock BBS rims, I don't want to take the car through if there's a chance that the rims are going to be scratched either. I'll visit this new car wash and I'll post my findings.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just took my car through a Sunoco EcoWash (Markham Rd. and 14th Avenue). I'm happy to report that my rear spoiler is intact and my rims are unscathed :)

My assumption about these automatic car washes, prior to today, was that they all had some sort of a track system to draw the car through the different wash stages in the car wash (i.e. rinse, soap, wax, rinse, blow dry). Well, the car wash that I used today has no such system. You drive your car up and the washing apparatus circles your car. So, instead of your car moving through different stages in the car wash, your car just sits stationary and everything moves around it. Once the machine has finished rinsing your car off, you just drive slowly under the air blower and voila your car is clean and dry.

Results: It did an ok job of cleaning the car. Of course hand washing would be better, but this was more than acceptable as a weekly routine to get rid of any salt and sand accumulations.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Battery to Headunit wiring help needed

Thanks for the reply Krusty. I took mine through the wash at the Esso at 16th and Bayview a couple of days ago. Went ok once I was told about the "big green button". Seems that this button was designed for cars/trucks with bug deflectors. In essence, it doesn't allow the dryer to come all the way down around the car hence no interference with the wing. The underbody wash happens as you drive into the wash bay. Just drive slowly over it and it does an ok job. Once inside the wash bay the machine circles the car much the way you described.

Heres the key. Just enter your wash code, then press the "big green button".

See Francis. Nice guy(I buy my Timmy's from him almost everyday). Tell him Dave sent you and you're worried about your rear wing getting damaged. He'll tell you what to do.

·
Registered
69 Posts
How to launch an STI??

We have a car wash just like the one KrustyK mentioned at our local Co-op. I too was afraid to try it in case something happened to the rear spoiler. I was pleased to find that it was OK to use for a quick wash when I don't have time for something better.

The only trouble that I have had is when the laser didn't seem to be working properly and the back of the car was barely washed. Oh well, I'd rather have it dirty than hit, and it's always the first spot to get dirty again anyway! I'm sure that they would have given me another wash for free if I had said something - I didn't know at the time if that was going to be a normal experience, but then I tried it again and it worked better.

Sue :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts