IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i stopped to oogle over an evo at the local dealership. turns out some of the salespeople were deciding between the sti and evo. next thing i know, several sales people are out by my sti grooving on it 8) they took turns sitting in it! i popped the hood cause they wanted to see the motor. it was a REAL positive experience. spent about a hour there and we all talked about the positives of the evo and the sti (both friggin AWESOME machines). nobody slammed either car. very cool. even the manager came out and hung with us. the evo and sti sitting together is a BEAUTIFUL thing to behold. i mean seriously 8) even customers were checkin' us out to see what all the hoopla was about :lol: very nice memory. when i see an evo owner on the road its thumbs up for sure! six-of-this or half-dozen of the other... its ALL good my BROTHER 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
XXTuning gets a New ride

I agree completely...there should be more threads like this. The reason the STi is here is the EVO, the reason the EVO is here is the WRX.....we are all benefitting from each other.

Long live the 4 cylinder banging, all wheel drifting, 747-winging, "What was that that just beat my Vette" supercars....all of em! ;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
errr clonegts, aren't vettes a lot faster then the STi? anyways, i think they are both great cars, i havn't been able to get a ride in the evo but by the sounds of it, it doesn't sound so bad

·
Registered
238 Posts
I agree about the brotherhood thing. I had the best (legal) race last night against an EVO, very exciting and fun. Spoke to the guy afterwards, we both had lots of praise for each other and our cars. :)

edit: I won.

-Ollie

·
Registered
33 Posts
I feel that I am very fortunate individual, having found a group of friends like I have.

4 EVO VIII's , 3 STi's, and 2 SRT4's....We have had friendly races, and have a great time in general together.....all of us help with modifications on each others cars.

Oh yeah, and we get some looks cruising down the highway's together 8)

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
What are your settings with SBC-ID?

where are you from?

·
Registered
454 Posts
We had a get together up here last month for both EVO8 and STi owners... personally, I like both cars, and everyone that attended felt the same... it's hard not to. They're both awesome cars and each have their merits over the other. That's pretty typical up here... I mean, I belong to a Camaro/Firebird racing club up here, and we have members with Mustangs, Buicks, and Corvettes. It's so much more fun when we all intermingle.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I wish some Evos would show up down this way. I would be really interested to drive both cars back to back without the constraints of break-in or dealer ownership.

·
Registered
18 Posts
STi Transformer - ANIMATED!

Actually all these fast sport cars owe it BIG TIME to Subaru, when they came out with the 1998 Impreza 2.5RS. IMHO, that is the car that started all this hype. I have a 98RS and it was the shit and so much fun to drive. Especially redlining and dropping the clutch, the car just hooked up!!! :D

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
We also advertise on an Evo board, the local DCEvoClub.com. It started somewhat recently, and they had various drives and meetings. I personally attended several of them and we also organized a go-kart race with them in which few STis came as well. Overall very nice group and friendly rivalry between the two groups.

However, I find that there are differences between the STi and Evo camps in terms of their aproaches to "performance". I see more WRX at the tracks, very few STis but almost no Evos even though there are nearly 3:1 Evo ratio on the streets. However, there seems to be many more Evos at autocrosses.

Also, somehow, Evo owners are significantly more concerned with engine and drivetrain performance than handling and they seem to prefer street racing more than the STi camp. IMHO, the STi camp seems a little more mature but who am I to judge really.

If you get a chance, drop by the DCEvoClub.com, and look around; i'll think you'll notice the differences :) Overall, I am having a lot of fun with both groups and of course especially with the cars; what a wonderful world we live in :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the pleasure to drive an EVO "after" purchasing my STI. I called the local Mitsu dealer to see if he had one sitting there, and sure enough, he actually had five of the cars in the service area. I went to the dealership (not driving my STI) pretending to be interested in purchasing an EVO and my Dad and I walked around the car and checked out everything about it. We were quite impressed with the EVO but the main thing that I found odd about the car was the lack of metallic paint for the finishes...the solid colors were not that appealing to my eyes. We were given the key to the EVO and the salesman stayed there which allowed my Dad and me to give it a bit of a "spirited" test drive. I was told to let the engine warm up before kicking in the turbo so I took it easy for about five miles, then I gave the gas pedal more pressure. The turbo on the EVO really kicks in when it is asked to do so :eek: . The car had this strange pull to the right (not during acceleration) so I slowed my pace down, then it pulled to the left. My Dad, and myself, were not real comfortable with a car that handled like this so we took it very easy with the car after we experienced this control problem. I didn't get a chance to fully test the car due to this front end problem but from what I could tell during my test drive, the car seemed to be very solid and well thought out. I found the seats a bit less comfortable than the STI, a bit too firm for my rump. I also prefer the red gauges on the STI over the ones equipped with the EVO. My little gripes about the EVO are just that, little gripes, and are just my personal opinions.

Before I took the car back to the dealership, I just "managed" to pull into the Subaru dealership where my STI was purchased to say hello to my salesman there. While I was inside, about 8 salespeople came outside to see the EVO and talk to my Dad...all were very interested in the car and nobody had any harsh words to say about the Mistu. I left Subaru and brought the car back to the Mitsu dealer and I told him the car was very nice but I told him to check out that odd pull before anyone bought that car. For my test drive of the EVO, I was given a FREE "2 Fast, 2 Furious" DVD for my interest in the vehicle. This wasn't expected but I was very pleased with the gift :D .

Both the EVO and STI are great cars with awesome performance but I am very very satisfied with my blue/gold baby. There is an EVO up in my area but I have yet to stop and talk with this guy about his car. I am looking forward to sharing thoughts of both cars sometime in the near future with this EVO owner. I have a great deal of respect for all of the performance cars on the market these days and I don't plan to bash anyone for buying anything other than an STI...it's all a matter of personal preference 8) .

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
every evo i have seen has made an attempt to wave or something.
one time i was coming to a stop at a light and an evo rolled by me on my left real slow(i think he was making sure i was a real sti) when he came to a stop he was two or three car lengths forward.
he actually tried to reverse to talk. but cars came on his rear to fast ,so he rolled down the window and yelled.ha,ha it was cool. my first time at the track i ran a 14.0, cause my reaction time was way high. i went on the green not the third yellow,woops. and as soon as i got back to my buddy(mazdaspeed owner) there was an evo owner standing with him. he busted my balls so hard."what the hell happened" he said. it was funny, it was like he was one of my boys givin me guidence. it was friendly not mean turns out he lived right in my area and works at a mitsu dealer that is right next to a subie dealer,hmmm

·
Registered
382 Posts
I agree with FT, the EVO owners buy the better handling car and drag race them. At the local autox area, there are two or three regular STis but EVOs only appear occassionaly.

Back to the subject, I make every attempt to talk to all the EVO owners I see. Unless your a diehard Subaru or Mitsubishi enthusiast, you should like both of these cars.

·
Registered
33 Posts
where are you from?
EatV8, I am in Pensacola Florida now. Its the westernmost city in Florida pretty much. Lots of EVO's and SRT's and STi's around here. Primarily because of the Military population(like myself).

No 1/4 strips within 2hrs but lots of cars

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
DrEvyl said:
We had a get together up here last month for both EVO8 and STi owners... personally, I like both cars, and everyone that attended felt the same... it's hard not to. They're both awesome cars and each have their merits over the other. That's pretty typical up here... I mean, I belong to a Camaro/Firebird racing club up here, and we have members with Mustangs, Buicks, and Corvettes. It's so much more fun when we all intermingle.
Couldn't have said it better, myself. Jason and Terry I think represent your typical Evo owner. (Basically just like us except they chose to get the Evo instead of the STi) ;)

Many of the people you find buying STis and Evos are AUTO enthusiasts, and could care less what you drive, so long as common intersts are shared and cultivated. Many of us (with imports) often hang out at the Burgermaster in Bothell with what is primarily a classic musclecar and Mustang group of guys and gals. We give each other the usual ribbings, always with a smile. But what's really great is that everyone's welcome and respected for loving what the cars represent. . . not so much which nametag comes on it. :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
STIPILOT said:
Actually all these fast sport cars owe it BIG TIME to Subaru, when they came out with the 1998 Impreza 2.5RS. IMHO, that is the car that started all this hype. I have a 98RS and it was the **** and so much fun to drive. Especially redlining and dropping the clutch, the car just hooked up!!! :D

I may be a little biased but I kinda look to the 91/92 Galant VR-4s as the first rally bred car to come to the US. Turbocharged 4cyl., 4 doors, AWD, AWS, ABS brakes, front mount IC etc.. But I do thank the WRX for getting the EVO here finally.

Marty

·
Registered
31 Posts
i've got an STi and my bro has an EVO... so life can't really get better than that. i love both cars and one simply couldn't exist without the other!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts