IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some of my friends say they'd never buy a car in its first model year, choosing instead to wait for them to work out the bugs by the second year, i've bought other first model year cars, have had no problems, and intend to get the sti asaa (as soon as available). just wondering if anyone is pondering the same.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I'm one of those who wants the latest and the greatest. I'd have no problems getting one of the first STi's. After all that's what the warranty is for, right?

·
Registered
21 Posts
here here... I bought my 1st DVD player in 96... thats 7 years ago...I still cant believe some people still use VHS....

-Shahul

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I bought my Celica right out of the gates...and while I think they may have addressed a few concerns, most of this car has been around for a while. The body is new, the block is new, but the rest of the components have been used around the world for some time now.

Besides....I just don't wanna wait either! :wink:

·
Registered
21 Posts
i hear ya...i bought my RSX in the 1st batch and 1st batch of Xbox's and playstations etc.... I like to be at the forefront of technology

-Shahul X

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree with the bugs being fixed after the first year...I had this problem with my IS3. I got the IS the first time it showed here(01).

Things they did in 02/03 and not 01:
Armrest
Full leather
NAV
Black chrome taillights for dark cars ( I have black so I upgraded)
Autodimming mirror, with temp and that sh!t
LTuned package
5 speed
New colors
Sportsdesign package

Just little things basically, but who knows what they can add/take off the STi next year.

I know I am going to wait a year for a couple reasons, and this is one minor reason. I dont mind waiting another year, just to see what others do to the car, and to wait for companies to make things for the car ie bodykits, perf stuff, etc.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I don't think the sti is the type of car where they add all that stuff on like the IS. Maybe we'll get some of canada's options in the 2nd model year but that's probably it.... Not really much to wait for, eh?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: New Impreza Models?

charchar said:
Just little things basically, but who knows what they can add/take off the STi next year.
i bought the sentra se-r when it first arrived in '91. in subsequent years, nissan made small changes to the engine that caused some/many to think the earlier engine was better. (e.g. nissan changed the intake manifold and cams, etc.) <shrug> i respect your decision to wait.

·
Registered
273 Posts
4MLA1FN said:
some of my friends say they'd never buy a car in its first model year, choosing instead to wait for them to work out the bugs by the second year.
My guess is that they are referring to domestic cars :D

·
Registered
575 Posts
I would have to disagree, manufacturers can easily slip in major mechanical upgrades without announcing that as a new package, look at the S4 as an example, they upped turbos and alot of other upgrades mechanically without changing the car to the consumer.

·
Registered
347 Posts
wojo said:
My guess is that they are referring to domestic cars :D
American cars (which aren't domestic when they are sold outside of America) generally do have many more problems with quality. However, I don't expect any manufacturer to come up with a perfect car on the first attempt. Furthermore, they would be crazy not to improve upon the car in the next years of the model by fixing the problems they find. It stands to reason that the last year a model is produced will be the best in terms of total quality.

On the other hand, the first year cars will (or can) look like a newer car for longer, and for every year you don't buy the car, you won't get to drive it. The only things that will keep me from getting the STi this year are Subaru's production numbers (I'm 7th on the list at my dealer) and finances. Afterall, if the first years don't sell well, what is SOA's motivation to keep selling the car? I'm providing a service to the car buying community by buying the first year (and should get some sort of cash award for doing so). :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts