IW STi Forum banner

which brand alk would you get or have?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys.. i know basicly how an anti lift kit works (could someone explain it again in detail).. so im wanting to pick up a set but i was wondering which one you guys would get and why..

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
whiteline, b/c they are the ones that started it.

plus the whiteline ones are better quality.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The whitelines have more engineering time in them. Plus they are the only ones that have anti dive/lift designed into them. I've met people with the perrin's and they complain about noise/like it wants to come up thru the floor board into the car. I love my whiteline alk, I just bought whiteline sways to replace my hotchkis bars because of the quality in the whiteline parts.(not that hotchkis has bad quality parts I just like the whiteline parts better)

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kinda off topic---
why do you guys like the solid sway bars (whiteline) better than the hollow sway bars (ex hotchkis)?? the hollow, by deisgn, are stiffer, correct?

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
whitson01 said:
kinda off topic---
why do you guys like the solid sway bars (whiteline) better than the hollow sway bars (ex hotchkis)?? the hollow, by deisgn, are stiffer, correct?
I don't know if it is a preference based on solid vs. hollow but more of a build quality and available sizes.

the whitelines have a very nice build quality and many different sizes to suit everyones needs, while most hollow come in only one or two sizes.

and hollow isn't stiffer in comparison to the same diameter solid bar, but you're able to make the hollow larger in diameter and still be lighter than a solid bar.

the whiteline site has a nice chart with hollow vs. solid based on diameter.

·
Banned
7,256 Posts
I would have to vote for Whiteline simply due to the amount of R&D they put into the part. Plus I have heard of far fewer "problems" with Whiteline's in comparison to others.

Basically what the ALK does is add caster to your car...that's it, but that's a good thing for our cars.

Ton

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,563 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
neal0124 said:
The whitelines have more engineering time in them. Plus they are the only ones that have anti dive/lift designed into them...
I always thought it was confusing since they actually reduce the car's normal anti-lift, anti-dive tendency. "Anti-anti-lift" kit :lol:

·
Registered
795 Posts
supermarkus said:
I always thought it was confusing since they actually reduce the car's normal anti-lift, anti-dive tendency. "Anti-anti-lift" kit :lol:
It actually allows the front end to be more manuverable by adding more dive/squat, therefore reducing alot of the trudge you experience on a stock sti during corner entry/exit.... WHITELINE nuff said :lol:

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
in very simple terms, does it allow the most contact of the front tires to the road..?? in a sence, is it similar to what the 6gun ball joint relocater does?

·
Registered
335 Posts
whitson01 said:
in very simple terms, does it allow the most contact of the front tires to the road..?? in a sence, is it similar to what the 6gun ball joint relocater does?
Not quite. The ball joint extension helps to keep the camber more consistent thru the suspensions travel. The alk adds some caster so you can run a little less camber, when you turn the wheel though the added caster makes the wheel tilt in some adding camber.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
The whiteline paper on ALK's:
http://whiteline.com.au/articles/Effect of WL ALK_b.pdf

And an old post of mine:

The ALK actually increases lift and dive, effectively making the front suspension softer in those situations. As the Whiteline paper says, it evens out the load on the front wheels during acceleration and braking, providing more front end grip.

So yes, there is a decrease in anti-lift. Meaning an increase in lift. Which is very confusing. It should be called a pro-lift kit, but it wouldn't sell as well ;) .

Other benefits include .5 degrees of added caster, and stiffer bushings.

A VERY confusing part...but it works very well!

- Andrew

·
Registered
928 Posts
whitson01 said:
The "only" similiarities are:

1. Changes geometry
2. Allows you run less static camber

·
Registered
928 Posts
whitson01 said:
ya im pretty sure i will be going with the whitelines..
could someone explain:
caster
static and "non" static
caster: the angle between a vertical line and the car's steering axis when viewed from the side. Think about a "chopper" motorcycle. They run a lot of caster.

Static and "dynamic" (non-static): Static refers to the alignment (usually camber or toe) as the car just sits there. Whereas dynamic refers to the alignment of the tire with the ground as the suspension in active (wheel is turned, or when the car leans, wheel move through the bump travel etc...)

Clear as mud?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts