IW STi Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I had a spare minute so I thought it would be nice to slap up this picture.

The antenna will only be on when the deck is turned on by wiring it to the switched 12v line.

I found the wire with the help of a member on here(don't recall who at this time). Please make note of which wire and maybe even make this guy a sticky thread ;)

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
whats the other two wire plug that is taped to the harness (not used)?

I saw it when I installed my OEM radio. There wasn't a place for it to plug in to.

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alpine

That is for the factory boost gauge to plug into. I believe it is ground and switched power. Another good source to find 12v switched power from :)

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it could be used for that, but there is actually a designated wire for it. I do not have the metra harness handy at this time though :/

·
Registered
385 Posts
Sorry to sound dumb but do we simply just splice our power antenna wire from our stereo's wiring harness to this white wire?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is there also a black coaxial cable to plug the antenna wire into?

And is the antenna on the STi reallly the top wire lines on the rear window? (Above the defrost wires)

I've seen different posts saying different things and I can't tell if it's for the US STi or the Canadian STi. I just want my radio to work, LOL.

And I'm assuming connecting to the antenna power (white wire) on the harness will provide better reception?

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Wheel locks all the same?

I found the black coaxial cable deep in the hole of the center dash. The harnesses I got (Pioneer -> Universal -> Subaru) had the power antenna wire running. I just spliced the 12V power into the blue power antenna and that's it.

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Our new wiring harnesses have the remote antenna lead pre wired into them. All you need to do is match up the colors from your aftermarket harness to these. Almost like 'paint by numbers' :D

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
im lost u take that white wire and hook it up to what now? becasue the subi already has the coaxial cable and i plugged it into my deck and its still shitty reciption????how do i solve my problem?

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The white wire needs to see 12v power to power the antenna. If you have an aftermarket deck then the wire to use is 99.9% blue. Every deck that I've ever done always use blue, or blue/white trace. Just hook that to the white wire. Now, if for some reason you do not have a blue wire then you can take the wire that is lime green w/ green trace (found right next to the ground wire on the stock plug in the first picture) and wire on a jumper to th ewhite wire. This is giving the antenna power only when you turn your key on. let me know.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
ok cool ill do that tomorrow, thanks for the detailed info!

·
Registered
20 Posts
JEKYL AND HYDE AT IT AGAIN

Hooking up the coaxial and the white wire works like a charm!!! :D My radio reception is awesome! Definitely liking the antenna built into the rear window.

·
Registered
668 Posts
i took the easy way out and bought a subaru wiring harness at best buy... it has the antenna power wire and everything pre-labelled. :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
I just had my stereo installed last week, and the installer...national chain, said there was no antenna in the car at all. They stuck a antenna they said was used in a lot of Marine applications to the window. DON'T LIKE. When I complained, the manager said he'd call around other shops for suggestions, but hasn't gotten back to me. Is there truelly one built into the back window? Thought we had a different back window than the WRX?

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There is truely an amplified one in the rear glass. There is a coaxial cable in the dash, sometimes it is pushed down quite a ways. It is fed in from the driver side dash area. When you connect that to the deck you will have reception once again.

Hope this helps. I would personally rather hook it up myself than trust the shop.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I don't understand why you need a switched 12VDC lead connected to the antenna? Seeing as how the antenna is a printed wire type on the rear glass and not a powered up/down mast antenna, why is there 12V required? Any antenna i've ever seen are just the low voltage co-ax and that is it. Is there some hidden antenna pre-amp hidden somewhere?

thanks for info.

ps, I have the factory system that comes with the car in Canada and the reception by in large is crap. The whole system is crap for that matter.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.