IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: Yes I would like to cry. I just spent buco $$$ for a nice Kenwood CD receiver, speakers and subwoofer. Everything works well except the radio. There is an antenna plug there but the antenna seems unexistent. AM is totaly dead. FM comes in and out. Help, anyone know what the problem is? DO i need an antenna? Where to get one? etc. Thanks you all in advance :eek:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Re: OEM Stereo vs. Aftermarket/Subaru Meet

Check if the power antenna lead is hooked up from the headunit to the car. It is normally to control the antenna if the car has a power motorized antenna but in our case the antenna has a signal booster. I believe that it is the little box under the rear deck. The antenna is in the back window so it needs a little boost to work correctly. I hooked up my power antenna lead through the wiring harness and I have not had a reception problem at all. So I believe you need the power antenna lead, usually solid blue, and the separate big antenna wire that plugs into its own plug. Hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TL Racer, thanks for your input. I really do not know anything about it. You say there is ablue wire that powers the antenna as if it was a powered antenna. Is that right? OK, where do I plug this blue wire to. I think my problem is simpler than I think. I just need to plug the right wire. I will appreciate all the help you can provide. By the way, the CD receiver sounds terrific. :oops:

·
Registered
347 Posts
ImprezaWRXSTi.Com is Proud to Welcome Innovative Automotive

I don't know about the Kenwood, but on Alpine's there is a blue wire that usually says "P. Ant" or "Pwr Ant." This needs to be connected to the wire that should be blue on your harness. If there is no blue wire on the harnee, look for the wire tha is connected to the white wire (I think) coming from the car side of the harness.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
That will fix your FM reception, but don't expect great AM reception from the in-glass antenna.

I used to love to listen to talk radio (I know, I'm a dork :) ), but now I am relegated to listening to talk radio on XM, which has one of my favorite hosts anyway (Phil Hendrie). :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:) OK guys, I checked from the rear antenna side and yes there is a dark blue wire to the antenna. I just have to find it in the harness and then the one from the readio and put them together. I will take it to the place were it was installed and tell them to fix it. I guess they should have known or at least look at the antenna side like I did. I will get back to you guys later this afternoon with the results... :lol:

·
Registered
347 Posts
canossti said:
I will take it to the place were it was installed and tell them to fix it. I guess they should have known or at least look at the antenna side like I did.
Your shop should have hooked this up in the first place. Even if they didn't think the car had an antenna, it never hurts to hook up the wires anyway. My shop didn't connect those two wires, it pissed me off, and so I did it myself. Don't worry about trying this yourself, it is the easiest thing in the world! It took me maybe five minutes, and the results were immediate. After doing that I wondered why I didn't do the whole stereo install myself.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:lol: :lol: :lol: Alright guys,

I did it. I took it back to the shop. Yes there was a blue wire exiting the Clarion amplifier at the antenna side in the rear windshield. That blue wire turned into a red wire about three inches out from the amplifier. Thaen it turned into a white wire a couple of inches further.

That white wire went all the way to the vehicle harness, andf along with the pwer antenna wire from then receiver, walla, its cured.

My question is, why in the heck would Subaru go through all the wire color changes for the same result.

For the moderator, I think you should mark this post nfor all those who have not yet installed a aftermarked receiver on the STI. A lesson to be learned...

I think I am done with this post, again thanks to all and remember "RIDE HARD, RIDE SAFE"

·
Banned
596 Posts
so it is in the factory headunit plug? I was digging extensively through an Sti dash looking for this coveted wire. I'm returning to finish the job in oe weeks time and would love to have conclusive word on where this wire is. i can then snap a picture to add in for a sticky thread. I may even put it up in a pdf file on our site along with a complete headunit install guide.

·
Banned
596 Posts
ah, I bypassed using a plug and play wiring harness. I just grabbed +, switched +, and ground. So if I pick up a harness I'll see which wire you mean. Is there a way to use my fluke multimeter to find it out of the group? I do know where the yellow (always hot positive) wire is as a reference point.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Innovative_Automotive said:
snip ...I do know where the yellow (always hot positive) wire is as a reference point.
yeah, the always hot is on a side corner, the power antenna lead is also on the same side, directly above or below the + wire depending on your plug orientation.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:wink: I am sorry guys, the white wire in the vehicle harness is in the corner. Once you have pluged all the other wires to the reciver, speakers, etc., there should be only a white and I think an orange and something wire left. The antenna wire is the white one. Just to make sure Subaru did not try to pull a fast one, check from the antenna side in the rear windshield. Just unsnap the gary cover half way and see the Clarion amplifier. It starts with a blue wire, goes to red after the amplifier, then turns into white a couple of inches further.... :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Somebody help! I have a Premier DEH-P520 that does not have a power antenna wire on the harness? Any ideas, is the power antenna wire a 12vdc wire? It does mention in the manual that the remote wire hooks up to the amplifiers/ and or power motorized antenna? Should I connect the factory power antenna wire to this one? I think thats it but does anyone know for sure?? I picked up the subaru to universal harness from Circuit city. Also I am going to splice my illumination and ground into the harness for my 2 autometer gauges, anyone see any problems with this? This forum Rocks!

·
Banned
596 Posts
I'd ground the gauges on their IMO, but should not be a problem.

For the antenna power you want to tap it into the switched 12v power line coming from your deck. It should be solid red. This way the antenna is only powered when the deck is on.

·
Registered
759 Posts
JJ said:
That will fix your FM reception, but don't expect great AM reception from the in-glass antenna.

I used to love to listen to talk radio (I know, I'm a dork :) ), but now I am relegated to listening to talk radio on XM, which has one of my favorite hosts anyway (Phil Hendrie). :D
What channel?

Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts