IW STi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving the STi tonight and in the middle of my drive i noticed a new sound that I had never heard before. I noticed it right after taking a turn pretty fast, not sure why it would be related or if it is.

Anyway, I can notice it most going from 2nd-3rd and 3rd-4th. I hear it when the clutch is partially engaged and my foot is on the throttle. Basically whenever I try to accelerate fairly quickly and keep under 4000rpms (car not broken in yet) . It sounds like something might be loose or vibrating? It doesnt sound like metal on metal, but I am not sure. Its more of a subtle "woaahhhh" sound. Im pretty sure its coming from the front of the car. The car seems to drive fine, but this is definitely a new noise, so Im a little bit curious/concerned :D

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
partially engaged clutch + foot on throttle? Could you just be overrevving it before shifting and you're just hearing the engine rev a little and then engaging? Or is the sound coming from somewhere else?

Robert~

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nono, its somewhere else. I hear the engine and I hear this sound, its definitely 2 different diistinct sounds. I have driven the same way I always have, not driving it that hard, but it just started making the noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i hear a noise also but its whenever i step on the gas....kinda like a whistle but itsnot the turbo i can stil hear the turbo spool when goin up a hill....but the whistle is jus constant...???i dunno if thats what ur talkin bout but i was gonna post about this anyways....sorry if its not it

·
Registered
260 Posts
noise

WhiteSTiNY said:
i hear a noise also but its whenever i step on the gas....kinda like a whistle but itsnot the turbo i can stil hear the turbo spool when goin up a hill....but the whistle is jus constant...???i dunno if thats what ur talkin bout but i was gonna post about this anyways....sorry if its not it
Not sure what speed you're at when you get this non-turbo whistle noise but at freeway speeds I get some window whistle on the driver's side.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: noise

WhiteSTiNY said:
Yah, I hear the same noise too. It's most noticeable when I'm cruising at 60mph, and maintaining that speed with slight throttle input. It sounds very similar to the turbo whine, but I think it's some kind of tranny noise possibly gear lash.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Damn I think my Sti was making the same sound tonight. I just broke it in and took it to 5k+ rpm 2nd-6th gear from a highway on-ramp. Once I was at 80 mph I let off and heard a new low frequency almost sort of humming like noise. None of my friends heard it since they are as in tune to the sounds the car makes as I am. When they finally did hear it they told me it was road noise, but I don't think so.

I then downshifted into 5th to see if the noise was still present, but it wasn't. I then shifted back into 6th and at 2k-3k rpm the noise was a constant pulsing hum and as I accelerated a bit in 6th the pulsing of the noise became faster.

Gonna try to reproduce the noise tommorrow night to see if its still there. Also it kind of sounds like it is coming from the wheels, as if the wheel itself is unbalanced and wobbling.

I goota get my stereo in soon, all the sounds this car makes is starting to drive me crazy. Anytime I hear something new I think something is wrong and start to freak out

·
Registered
289 Posts
It may be some drivetrain noise. I notice it too. There are a lot of limited slip differentials in our cars and they tend to make some noise. It seems to let up when the gas is off right? It is either that or the gears in the transmission. They are more straight cut than typical transmissions so they tend to be loud. It is normal and nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ready to do some mods..couple questions

I get this whooooosh sound, but i think thats from my newly installed BOV from wroxtuning ;)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Hey ya'll....I'm new to the site, but just wanted to comment on what has been written concerning the slight whining noticed at about 60 mph in 6th gear...I have the same issue...very slight whistling noise associated with very little throttle pressure...stops after throttle is not depressed. I'm sure it's just gear lash in the tranny....now all I need is a radio to drown it out. That would fix the problem nicely

·
Registered
595 Posts
Mine also makes this sound. I think it is a noise from the front differential. It is most noticable at any speed where the car maintining velocity.

However I have a different noise that can be heard only during slow speeds. (see other topic)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah none of these are my sound for sure. Like I said, I hear it clearly when I am on throttle and letting the clutch out. Every shift as I add throttle and let out the clutch, its there. I hear it in every gear now...if I shift quickly I only hear it for a second, slowly and I hear it for a while...basically as long as Im giving gas and engaging clutch its there.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
googe said:
Yeah none of these are my sound for sure. Like I said, I hear it clearly when I am on throttle and letting the clutch out. Every shift as I add throttle and let out the clutch, its there. I hear it in every gear now...if I shift quickly I only hear it for a second, slowly and I hear it for a while...basically as long as Im giving gas and engaging clutch its there.

What about when you're stopped, and giving it some gas with the clutch in?

Under normal circumstances you shouldn't be giving it gas while you engage the clutch. It'll just cause more clutch slippage and wear.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bitabur said:
googe said:

What about when you're stopped, and giving it some gas with the clutch in?

Under normal circumstances you shouldn't be giving it gas while you engage the clutch. It'll just cause more clutch slippage and wear.
What do you mean? You always have to give gas while letting the clutch out. Its not possible to shift smoothly otherwise. Let alone maintain a speed or accelerate. And if youre starting from a stop and dont do this, youll stall!

When the clutch is in and I give it gas, there is no weird sound.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Maybe you're shifting too slow... though I don't have an STi so I couldn't comment for sure, but in every manual that I've driven, you shouldn't have to give it gas while the clutch is in if you're going to upshift, except of course from a stop.

If you put the clutch in and shift up, when you're letting the clutch back out the flywheel should have maintained the right ammount of engine momentum.....and when you let the clutch back out, your engine speed should be matched to your vehicle speed, pretty closely.

I do admit that with the sti this might be considerably different, because ligter flywheels (usually associated with higher performance) tend to allow engine rpms to rise and fall faster. But i know that in the regular wrx, this holds true, at least for me.

Though, I also tend to shift pretty fast.

·
Registered
779 Posts
whiplash306 said:
Hey ya'll....I'm new to the site, but just wanted to comment on what has been written concerning the slight whining noticed at about 60 mph in 6th gear...I have the same issue...very slight whistling noise associated with very little throttle pressure...stops after throttle is not depressed. I'm sure it's just gear lash in the tranny....now all I need is a radio to drown it out. That would fix the problem nicely
I get a whine in the same gear and about the same MPH.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts