IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has to be my second one yet.

On my first time. I ran the Subaru oil consumption test. It show I had a bad turbo. It was burning oil. Got a new turbo well used. Did the swap. The car definitely pull and ran smoother.
It's about 3K miles since the turbo swap.

I wasn't burning oil at first. (about 3 months) But I also wasn't running full boost. 9psi. Turns out the pill resistor was causing it. Or lack of. Fix that.

Running full boost and now i'm seem like i'm loosing oil again. I'm wondering if i have a really bad blow by going on. I haven't pulled the IC but I'm betting there a some in there.

Top it up about a 3 weeks ago racked close to 600miles and lost about .3 to .5 of a quart

I think i'm going to be pulling the pill again, Running back at 9psi to see if i'm consuming any again. If i'm not, i'm betting I need a new PCV valve or Crawford A/O separator.

Is anyone else who went or is going through the similar thing can shine in? that would be awesome.

TL;DR people..

* Had a bad turbo causing me to consume oil.
* Swap turbo, running low boost, no consumption
* Losing oil on full boost.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I always burn more oil on trips. What oil are you using (brand and weight) and is it the same oil you've had since the turbo swap?

-Dennis

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would you think that a dirty motor eg like lots of carbon build up cause it? I know going on a drive after my oil change, my oil is getting dark.

I've read a few thing about have carbon can cause compression lost. That would be even across the board correct? Eg 145 on all four pistons vs 140 on 3 and 120 on the last.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I think oil "getting dark" quickly after an oil change suggests blowby (past the rings) into the crankcase.
Dark oil means it is suspending contaminants from sticking to your motor. If your oil comes out as clean as you out it in. Its not doing jack shit. Why do people think dark oil is bad

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand that. You didn't ask how they came to that conclusion? Obviously it was wrong if the engine is still showing oil consumption.
Well the turbo does run smoother now so I'm guess it was the also the turbo at fault to and it actually boost compared to the old one.

Here a quote from one of the techs

"subaru would have pulled your intercooler off and most likley seen lots of oil in the intercooler, which is a sign that your turbo is blowing oil past the seal. its easy to swap the turbo out.
the only other reason you would be blowing oil is if the seals in the head are shot, leaking, or the rings in the short block are cooked. so lets hope it just your turbo lol."

I think oil "getting dark" quickly after an oil change suggests blowby (past the rings) into the crankcase.
Interesting. I was thinking of that too. I have nothing again "dirty oil" it's doing its job. I just find it strange for my oil to be that dirty that quickly. A 20m drive to the grocery store and it's slowly turning brown.

Would an air oil separator help? I'm looking at the Crawford one. I don't feel like aimless spending money on parts that may or may not help get me to the end of it.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
It could buy you some time.

Sometimes cracked ringlands don't show up on a compression test. So you might still have issues down the road. Did you get the compression checked?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
... If your oil comes out as clean as you out it in. Its not doing jack shit. Why do people think dark oil is bad ...
I believe the OP is saying that on a short drive after an oil change, the oil gets dark __very__ quickly.

OP says: "A 20m drive to the grocery store and it's slowly turning brown."

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It could buy you some time.

Sometimes cracked ringlands don't show up on a compression test. So you might still have issues down the road. Did you get the compression checked?
Not yet. I will soon. I'm trying to find someone with a compression tester I can barrow for a few hours or so.

I'll look into the crawford a/o though.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey I am burning about 1 quart every 3 thousand miles. Is this normal? Running stage 1 and using royal blue 5w-30. dealer says this is normal. Help

·
Registered
151 Posts
Bump--- just replaced my PCV assembly for the hell of it(the whole thing with hoses and such)about 3 weeks ago. Noticed my oil level is topped out full even after several WOT pulls(in the last few weeks) Is it normal for oil consumption to DECREASE after a new assembly has been put in?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Bump--- just replaced my PCV assembly for the hell of it(the whole thing with hoses and such)about 3 weeks ago. Noticed my oil level is topped out full even after several WOT pulls(in the last few weeks) Is it normal for oil consumption to DECREASE after a new assembly has been put in?
yes.

A proper pcv will prevent oil from being sucked by the engine and burnt by venting the crank to prevent vacuum conditions.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts