IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I purchased my first WRX last July and it’s been a blast! It’s also the first manual daily car that I drive! Over time I’ve been getting better at various ways to drive it daily like rev-matching, heel toe etc. one thing I’m still curious about is what rpms to really shift at DAILY and not on a track scenario. I find that if I want to get up to speed at least in mph quick the best way is to take off in second gear but I heard that’s not best for your clutch wear. If I start in 1st gear it feels like I’m not getting anywhere too fast even with rpms up to 5/6k. Is there any better way to do this on the daily without being obnoxiously loud or anything (I love the sound of my car but I drive in a residential area of town on my way to work early on the morning). Also, Is it ok to skip gears like 1st to 3rd gear per se? Idk if that would help but I hope you guys catch my drift on the topic.

Vehicle specs:
Stage 2 Cobb
20g blouche turbo
Larger injectors
Larger TMIC

thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
if you are on a stage2 cobb you shouldnt have a 20g on the car.......you should have a pro tune. if you are on a cobb stage 2 tune and have a 20g installed DO NOT DRIVE IT until it's pro tuned. actually you have bigger injectors too. if you have a cobb stage 2 tune that could be why you arent getting up to speed like you want....cause the car isnt tuned properly and that will really hurt it.

skipping gears wont always hurt the car, but if you skip and drop too low in the rpm's you could put alot more load on the engine which could hurt longevity pending how much extra load and how often.
as far as getting up to speed qick......go through the normal gears. dont start in second. i promise you wont need to. go through the gears like normal. hit the pedal harder if it's not getting up to speed "fast enough"
i typically try to keep rpm/s above 2500 when i'm driving on the street. if it's below that i'll downshift.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you are on a stage2 cobb you shouldnt have a 20g on the car.......you should have a pro tune. if you are on a cobb stage 2 tune and have a 20g installed DO NOT DRIVE IT until it's pro tuned. actually you have bigger injectors too. if you have a cobb stage 2 tune that could be why you arent getting up to speed like you want....cause the car isnt tuned properly and that will really hurt it.

skipping gears wont always hurt the car, but if you skip and drop too low in the rpm's you could put alot more load on the engine which could hurt longevity pending how much extra load and how often.
as far as getting up to speed qick......go through the normal gears. dont start in second. i promise you wont need to. go through the gears like normal. hit the pedal harder if it's not getting up to speed "fast enough"
i typically try to keep rpm/s above 2500 when i'm driving on the street. if it's below that i'll downshift.
Ah gotcha. That makes sense. I have taken it to a professional in town a few times and they haven’t mentioned that at all. I could be wrong that it’s a stage two

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ah gotcha. That makes sense. I have taken it to a professional in town a few times and they haven’t mentioned that at all. I could be wrong that it’s a stage two
the "stage 2" could just be referring to the parts that are listed for that. which is why i mentioned it. provided it's been pro tuned you wont have to worry. but if you were running the off the shelf map you would. which is why i mentioned it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey all,

I purchased my first WRX last July and it’s been a blast! It’s also the first manual daily car that I drive! Over time I’ve been getting better at various ways to drive it daily like rev-matching, heel toe etc. one thing I’m still curious about is what rpms to really shift at DAILY and not on a track scenario. I find that if I want to get up to speed at least in mph quick the best way is to take off in second gear but I heard that’s not best for your clutch wear. If I start in 1st gear it feels like I’m not getting anywhere too fast even with rpms up to 5/6k. Is there any better way to do this on the daily without being obnoxiously loud or anything (I love the sound of my car but I drive in a residential area of town on my way to work early on the morning). Also, Is it ok to skip gears like 1st to 3rd gear per se? Idk if that would help but I hope you guys catch my drift on the topic.

Vehicle specs:
Stage 2 Cobb
20g blouche turbo
Larger injectors
Larger TMIC

thanks
I'm surprised you find that the car isn't getting places quickly when you wind it out to 5/6k in 1st.

I drive around at 2000 rpm lol.

You guys are savages. And as far as second gear starts, I've done them on motorcycles but never considered it in the car...I might give that a try 🚀

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm surprised you find that the car isn't getting places quickly when you wind it out to 5/6k in 1st.

You guys are savages. And as far as second gear starts, I've done them on motorcycles but never considered it in the car...I might give that a try 🚀
We

I haven’t payed attention too much but it seems that I’m around 15/20 mph at 5-6k in first. It just feels off. Like the car is trying really hard and not going anywhere too fast. But maybe it’s just me

·
Registered
287 Posts

2k rpm just puts more of a load on the engine. i find the car...at least mine....doesnt seem happy that low

·
Registered
14 Posts
2k rpm just puts more of a load on the engine. i find the car...at least mine....doesnt seem happy that low
I feel what your saying about lower rpm and more load on the engine, but at the same time I definitely don't find my car is labouring at 2000rpm. Mind you while I'm driving around at 2000rpm I am always ready for a quick downshift. Also, I don't believe 2500rpm is excessive.

On a flat section of road I have even let the car accelerate up from 1500rpm. It didn't lug or sound like it was labouring at all. ***This is not my normal practice, I don't shift up if it's going to leave me at 1500rpm in the next gear. I can't see the engine reving lower than that without lugging and I was surprised at how normal it sounded and how smooth it accelerated.

Do other people agree with a "healthy" feel when you are cruising along at 2000rpm? It's worth noting that I bought this car after 10 years of driving a small 5 speed pickup. Maybe I've been driving my car like it's a pickup truck and I should break that habbit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I feel what your saying about lower rpm and more load on the engine, but at the same time I definitely don't find my car is labouring at 2000rpm. Mind you while I'm driving around at 2000rpm I am always ready for a quick downshift. Also, I don't believe 2500rpm is excessive.

On a flat section of road I have even let the car accelerate up from 1500rpm. It didn't lug or sound like it was labouring at all. ***This is not my normal practice, I don't shift up if it's going to leave me at 1500rpm in the next gear. I can't see the engine reving lower than that without lugging and I was surprised at how normal it sounded and how smooth it accelerated.

Do other people agree with a "healthy" feel when you are cruising along at 2000rpm? It's worth noting that I bought this car after 10 years of driving a small 5 speed pickup. Maybe I've been driving my car like it's a pickup truck and I should break that habbit.
So we are talking 2/3k rpm so a VERY short shift from 1st to second?

·
Premium Member
5,933 Posts
I definitely don't find my car is labouring at 2000rpm.
It's not in first gear on level ground, but you wrote:

while I'm driving around at 2000rpm
Assuming you're not always in first or second gear, not decelerating or goin down hill, you are lugging your STI.

I don't shift up if it's going to leave me at 1500rpm in the next gear.
Make that 2500 and your car will thank you, and even that is for under 5psi of boost. To accelerate quickly start at near 3500.

Yes break that habit, An STI is not a pickup. Newer STIs are smoother between 2 and 2.5K than past models and invite you to step on the pedal lower than is good for it. But they have the same basic engine. Keep em above 2500 in any higher gear, say 4th-6th. Keep em above 3500 in real boost.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's not in first gear on level ground, but you wrote:

Assuming you're not always in first or second gear, not decelerating or goin down hill, you are lugging your STI.

Make that 2500 and your car will thank you, and even that is for under 5psi of boost. To accelerate quickly start at near 3500.

Yes break that habit, An STI is not a pickup. Newer STIs are smoother between 2 and 2.5K than past models and invites you to step on the pedal lower than is good for it. But the have the same basic engine. Keep em above 2500 in any higher gear, say 4th-6th. Keep em above 3500 in real boost.
God damn. So what your saying is let 'er rip if you love your car and want it to live a long happy life. I can do that.

·
Premium Member
5,933 Posts
Letting her rip is staying above 4k in boost . . .

Reactions: Raakaar and 2018sti
1 - 13 of 13 Posts