IW STi Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Woot! First time Auto-x and had a blast doing it. It was a lot of fun... even managed to have the fastest time in my class (STU) and 18th overall out of 100 cars. :lol: Can't wait to get out there again and try to improve my driving. There were lots of places that I could improve my times with better lines and smoother input. With that being said.. I thought the car handled great and was very impressed with what it could do. Here are some pics (These were taken by a photographer present, not by me):

My car:

Other Subies:

Rest of the album: http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2102020049

·
Registered
110 Posts
Awesome!! Glad you had fun- yes these cars were built for competitive driving as I'm sure you learned at the AutoX! STI's really come into their element during track sessions.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
My first was last year at Ripken, (getting ready for the next go round next weekend). It was a real blast!! Was really funny because I thought the paint was going to come off the car because it felt like I was going so fast. Ended up getting beat by an 68 year old woman in a mini :lol:

The fun part is that you are really only out there competing with yourself. :tup:

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2fas4u said:
The fun part is that you are really only out there competing with yourself. :tup:
Agreed. I was quite disappointed in myself because my second run was actually the fastest and I couldn't better my times with the following two runs. A lot of this was because each time I went out a little more aggressive to find out the limits of the car and the 4th run got a little squirrely (I was testing the Tarmac Rally ability :D ). The last two runs I also had a passenger but I don't think that affected my overall driving too much.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Nice, glad you had fun - welcome to your new addiction ;)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
haha, you licence plate says "NOSLIP". :)

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
nice pics

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Nice pics. I also did my first autox a couple months ago. Took me a couple runs to figure out I was trying to go way too fast. Took it a bit easier in the tight corners, the car pushed less, and I took 2-3 seconds off my lap.

If I had a tire & brake sponsor, I'd do it more ;)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Awesome, looks like tons of fun. I've done a couple track days and fell in love, but for some reason the layout of Auto-X scares me a little. I think I'd just get lost. I've only spectated at one, but plan on trying it out in the next month or so.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yakmasterjack said:
Awesome, looks like tons of fun. I've done a couple track days and fell in love, but for some reason the layout of Auto-X scares me a little. I think I'd just get lost. I've only spectated at one, but plan on trying it out in the next month or so.
haha. I know what you mean. When you are spectating it really does look like a sea of cones. Luckily I hopped in for a ride-in for the first session and was able to watch cars on the second session so that I was able to learn the course before I went out. I managed to not get lost or hit any cones somehow... It really is a blast to get out there and challenge yourself to go faster.

BTW.. I read your other post.. Definitely get the whiteline swaybars, they make a tremendous difference. Between watching my car and the other Subies on the course, my car remained pretty stable/neutral around tight corners where others were heavily plowing. If you are still running stock springs I'd advise you to look at the 22mm RSB which is adjustable up to 24... With stock springs people are having issues of doglegging. :tup:

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Yeah, I've heard great things about the whiteline sways. I think I'm going to get the 27 mm F and 24 mm R adjustable sways. My RCE springs should ship within the next couple of weeks, and I hope it should be a sick combo.

I imagine you did an SCCA Auto-X?

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
For the record, if you drive a stock spring'd STi with the large front WL sway bar (even on the 27mm setting), you have the issue of lifting the front inside tire if you are agressive enough. I was.

As i began to get used to my setup (back in my AS days) It would become a larger and larger problem. You can almost see it here:

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yakmasterjack said:
Yeah, I've heard great things about the whiteline sways. I think I'm going to get the 27 mm F and 24 mm R adjustable sways. My RCE springs should ship within the next couple of weeks, and I hope it should be a sick combo.

I imagine you did an SCCA Auto-X?
That should be a terrific combo.. Looking to go a similar route with those springs as well. Yea, It was an SCCA sponsored event. :tup:

I don't believe I had any issues with the front lifting but this may be because of the stiffer RSB than stock.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts