IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any pics of how they anchored their subwoofer in the trunk? I have a 10-inch JL Audio sub in the trunk currently. It's pretty low profile, and it does have some weight to it, but when cornering hard, it always shifts from side to side (guess I can't fight inertia, huh). I have heard that heavy-duty velcro is the way to go, but I was hoping I could see some pictures first. Anyone have any?

Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
I used 1 L bracket to anchor each side...I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post in the evening...you just have to be careful of the fuel tank and lines...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Re: Gas milage at 100% torque FWD?

I have a 10" Kicker Comp VR in a small box in the trunk of my WRX. It sits on the drivers side against the back of the seats. I just used one of those elastic tie down straps to hold it in there. There are some holes in the sheetmetal where it can attach to on each side. Looks a bit odd since the strap runs right across the sub, but it holds very well. It has sat through an autocross and about 50K miles without a problem.

-Lance

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Velcro...

I tried to post a pic but it kept telling me I reached the maximum file size. I resized it 3 times and gave up. If you still want to see a pic I can email it to you, just PM me your email address.

·
Registered
48 Posts
:-? :-? I am having the same problem with bu sub. I used haavy duty velcro on the carpet side but the darn thing shifts all around while attached to the carpet. Tomorrow I will try placing some more velcro between the carpet ant the sheetmetal. I will reply again...

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Uh, what is that a picture of? I am sorry, could you give a little description of what you are using that for. Thanks

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Oh, ok. That would sure make it tough to get the spare out, but it would probably eliminate the noise it makes over bumps.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
snead_c said:
...remember to avoid the gas tank and hoses with the screws..
see this thread. the gas tank is under the rear passanger seats. as long as you're aft of the back seat by about 8-10 inches, you should be fine. (it's hard to tell from you pic where you drilled).

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
the sight of an exposed cone give me the chills. i must just carry more stuff in my trunk than most. one hard right and .....

·
Registered
575 Posts
bitabur said:
Think it'll tip out on hard acceleration?
nope have had this configuration for quite som time and no issues have quite a heavy sub but the mounting board is .75 inches so the lip where the sub sits in is quite high.

and reaching the spare is not hard take the sub out and then just lift the board, I have pull straps

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Sounds good.... It's hard to tell how thick it is, but I'm sure it depends on the weight distribution in your box too.

Anyway, it looks like a good way to go.... but how heavy is that piece of wood?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts