IW STi Forum banner

How would you rate your experience with this dealer?

• Acceptable

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Less than Acceptable

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to start off.. Anchor Subaru is the best!!

I had been shopping around for a new STi for some time. After visiting my local dealer and reading some posts on NASIOC I got in touch with Cliff @ Anchor. No haggling, no problems, no BS. He told me their price (which was *considerably* cheaper than my local dealer) and we got the ball rolling over the phone. I already had financing, but their financing dept was able to beat my interest rate so I ended up financing through Anchor.

So within one day, just about everything was taken care of. I let my local dealership know about Cliff's deal and they said it was "too good to be true" and that there was no way I could be getting a brand new STi for that price.

I live in NC and at this point Cliff gave me several options. Basically, he could ship the car or I could come pick it up. I opted to fly up and drive the car back down.

Anchor had somebody waiting for me at the airport and drove me about 20 minutes back to the dealership where my brand new STi was waiting out front, recently detailed. Everybody was extremely friendly and helpful. One of their tech guys also owns an STi and was more than enthusiastic to talk about it.

Since purchasing the car, i've gotten 2 follow-up phone calls from them, just checking to make sure that everything is OK.

I would highly reccomend dealing with these folks.

Cliff Berry @ Anchor Subaru
401 769-1199 / 888-377-1316

I just put 1000 miles on the car and I have loved every minute of it.

-One happy STi owner. (Chris)

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
+1 for Anchor. This is from where I got the car too. I had to "push" a little bit for a better price but eventually I got what I wanted. Brian is a good guy. They did all the paperwork very fast and Cliff was able to give me a good interest rate.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Anchor Subaru R.I.

I have bought two cars from Anchor Subaru in R.I. A 2006 WRX and a 2006 Sti. They were diffucult on the price of the 06 WRX, listing the car at much higher than blue book values. After much haggling and walking out a few times I got them down to a reasonable price...but I had to work for it. As for the STi...well I guess I am a bad example because having just bought the WRX not two months earlier I told them that a repeat of there previous negotiations would result in me taking my business else where. They were suprisingly agreeable and I was pleased with that transaction, but like I said I just bought a car there, so I was there best friend for a while. What I was not happy with was the additional warrantee sales tacticts. After you agree on a price and it seems that you can relax your fists, but then they send you into a small office to "sign some papers and go over the sales terms" this is when they hit you with the extended warrantee crap. This guy just wouldn't take the hint. I didn't want the warrantee because I plan on modding the car and....well you know what dealers do when you try to put in a warrantee claim on a modified car. I tried politely declining, but he just kept on me, at times it was clear he was getting annoyed with me because I wouldn't budge. It got to the point where I told the guy if he had anything else important I needed to sign, he had better find it because I was leaving in about 90 seconds. There service department also left a bad taste in my mouth. I went there and had an oil change, which ended up costing over $200.00. The service manger was great, he said that he raced Sti's and we had some pleasant conversations. After my oil change I went to pick up the car and it had over five new miles on it. Sounds like a beat run to me. Also there was white grease all over the inside of my doors where they greased the hinges. After a few hot days the excess grease ran down the inside of the doors and onto the visable outside portion of the factory ground effects. It took me weeks to remove, not to mention caused some permenent damage to the cars finish. I guess overall I would say that I had a possitive buying experiance there, but they are sleeze bags, like all car salesmen. I will say you definatly need to know what the car you want is worth before you go because there sticker prices are usually rediculusly high. I will never use there service department again unless its a warrantee issue.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Purchasing: I tracked the nationally advertized 2007 Sti Limited’s for over 8 months. Anchor had one example for over that time period, consistently priced higher than any other nationally advertized example. I gave them the benefit of the doubt, and test drove it. I e-mailed them a month later about the price (33K). They lowered the price to what everyone else was advertizing to start (29K) and said pretty much, our price or nothing. Orpheo (spelled differently) is the sales manager, nice guy but they must do a lot of Canadian sales or something. They’re single handily keeping the resale value up for the rest of us…

Service: Having purchased my car out of state and being new to Sti normal sounds, I had the car checked over at Anchor. There was a slight vibration at 80 mph and the brakes made more noise than I was used to. I dropped it off, basically open ended, to a stealership service department. They could have bent me over. They didn’t. But they couldn’t figure out the vibration (I only know that after the fact I figured it out.) They fed me some BS “you must have been doing donuts and caused flat-spots on the tires.” I was like “how the hell can you do donuts in an AWD car?” It turned out to be a slight bend in the rear rim (were the rim rash is Sherlock), fixed for $120 and not at Anchor. I did have the oil changed, with Mobil One, $50. And there was nothing wrong with the brakes, it was me, I came from driving a G35 Sedan…

OK service.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I recently spoke with a sales associate at Anchor Subaru. After a small chit chat about my horrible experience with Anchor, he nodded and agreed that it was a normal occurrence. Because of this, I have decided to publish my negative experience online, after learning that their illegal activities are still occurring.

I had my 2005 Legacy GT serviced at Anchor Subaru a couple of years ago. It was still under the powertrain warranty with only 50,000 miles on it. I called the dealership because I had a "Cylinder 1 Misfire" check engine light code. The gentleman on the phone assured me that it would be covered under warranty because it was an engine-related code.

I took a half day off of work and brought the car into the service center. They refused to give me a loaner so I stayed and waited for approximately two hours. The service manager came in and told me that they couldn't find the problem, and asked if would I like to wait longer. Since I was already there for two hours, I decided to wait longer. What I didn't realize is that they took my statement as authorization to bill me for more diagnostic charges. After three hours passed, they told me that they found no problems and sprayed a "water mist into the cylinder". I asked for my keys back and they handed me a bill of $180 for diagnostic charges. I repeated what the gentleman said over the phone regarding that it would be covered under warranty. The service manager, Marcell, told me that because no error was found, then it could not be covered under warranty. He proceeded to tell me to come back when the check engine light reappeared.

Feeling taken advantage of, I searched the Subaru forums for this specific check engine code. After only minutes of searching, I learned that the code is most commonly caused by a faulty fuel injector. The process to test the fuel injector is to swap the injector into another bank. If the suspected injector emits the misfire code under the new cylinder, then you have narrowed the issue down to the fuel injector. After 10 minutes and only a Philips-head screwdriver, I was able to swap fuel injectors. The next day, "Cylinder 2 Misfire" check engine code appeared and I ordered a new fuel injector for $76 from another Subaru dealership.

Disgusted, I wrote a letter to Chris Benoit, who was listed as the President of Anchor Subaru under Rhode Island's Secretary of State Corporation Search website. I explained in detail how much time and effort was involved in getting my service done at Anchor Subaru. I also mentioned how within ten minutes, I found literature online about the subject and diagnosed my car with my limited automotive repair knowledge.

I received a call from Marcell a few days later who apologized many times over for not being able to fix the issue. He asked me to come in the next day and that they would replace the fuel injector, at no charge, if the problem was in fact the fuel injector. I agreed and made an appointment for later that week.

Again I took a half day off of work and brought my car into Anchor Subaru for service. After arriving, Mr. Benoit said "The letter writer is here". I shrugged it off but I feel he was mocking me in front of his staff members. After waiting for approximately one hour, Marcell told me that the fuel injector was no longer functioning and that it would cost me $260 in labor and parts to repair the car. Flabbergasted, I asked about my letter to Mr. Benoit and your promise to replace the fuel injector at no cost. Both Marcell and Chris told me that they do not recall that conversation nor any letter I had sent them. This was by far the most asinine, corrupt, and unprofessional business that I have ever stepped foot in. Mr. Benoit proceeded to tell me that they would not give me my car back unless I paid an additional $80 diagnostic charge. I then told Marcell and Chris that my next phone call would be to the Smithfield police to report grand theft auto and to the Attorney General to inform them of your bait-and-switch tactics. Chris said, "Well we already got your $180, so that's fine" and handed me my keys back.

I promptly left, never to step foot in that dealership again. I suggest that you do the same.

Since then, I have met three salesman and two service technicians at local car meets who have worked at Anchor Subaru. Three of them have told me extremely concerning stories about the way they treat their customers and the way that they treat their technicians. I cannot divulge into any specifics because I feel Marcell and Chris will be able to identify the whistleblowers and fire them.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I brought my car down for minor warranty work ( wiper blades and a spoiler seal). They fixed everything but the next day I notice my steering wheel feels like they ran razor blades through it. It's on the bottom roughly 3 in long. I didn't realize it when I picked the car up but noticed it the next day. Bummer!

-Jon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts