IW STi Forum banner

81 - 100 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
^ price to pay for the hard inlet and labor to pay for install or the self time for install with broken knuckles to get this thing in...its it even worth it.lol.... especially on a stock turbo...

·
Registered
35 Posts
^ price to pay for the hard inlet and labor to pay for install or the self time for install with broken knuckles to get this thing in...its it even worth it.lol.... especially on a stock turbo...

On stock i have to say no, but on bigger turbo it is still very questionable, i have this on my Dom 3 xtr and i didnt see any noticable gains over stock pipe. And i had my car dynoed prior and to and after. I just dont thing the stock pipe is that restrictive where you are losing tremendous amount of power or that a car cant make power with stock pipe, the way i see it the turbo is going to get its air regardless of .5 of an inch difference.

Besides samco hoses are easier to work with and might save your knuckles at the end of the day.

my .02 cents worth

Sorry AMR!

my .02 cents worth

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
All silicone inlets collapse at a certain heat and boost level. Dont be amatuers. Use a search button.

Upgrading your turbocharger to a 3" inlet, you have no choice but to upgrade your turbo inlet to 3".
yea all of them do :rolleyes: thats why they still sell and still use them on race cars. glad you got your facts right.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
What race cars have you seen that doesn't use a rotated turbo? :lol:
i have seen plenty...
...big vendors/racers like Crawford, Harmon Motive, AMR, Cobb, ect... they use rotated of course. but not every race car is owned by a big company with a rotated turbo under the hood ;)

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
I dont have any experience with the AMR piece, but looks very similar to my APS install. These are the APS instructions and may or may not apply. It wouldnt hurt to have a look for those that are having trouble though. Do not follow these line for line as obviously the AMR piece has different parts that are or are not included, but this info could still be helpful for installation.

APS Turbo Inlet Pipe

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just thought I would contribute these pics of my engine bay...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well...my mechanic skills were also surpassed by the AMR turbo inlet. I attempted to install one on my 2004 STi. I had actually blown my turbo so I was installing a GT52 as well as new PNP Intake and TGVs from Grimmspeed so I had the whole intake off the car. I just couldnt get the AMR inlet to line up with everything. I tried installing the coupler on the turbo first, installing it on the Inlet first. I even relocated my fuel regulator from under the intake to make more room for the inlet. I just couldnt get things to line up. Here is a pic of he problem. This is a pic with the inlet removed but the coupler connected to the turbo. The intake is bolted in place:

As you can see the TGVs really come in contact with the coupler. also if you look close o the right side of the coupler you will see that the other side of the coupler is up against the metal breather line. No room to move anywhere. I suppose that if I were to delete the metal breather this would have possible made room like the APS system install suggests but since the AMR didnt come with the molded hoses I decided I didnt want to tackle this mod. Here is a pic of the intake removed showing the metal line next to the turbo:

While I do not doubt that a profesional may be able to get this AMR inlet to work on my 2004 STi I sure couldnt after 2 days of trying and several email to AMR (which they answered). Most of the pics I see from installed AMR inlets appear to be newer cars. Do the newer STi's not have this metal line? Im not bashing AMR. This is a nice piece. I just couldnt get it to work and wanted to share my experience.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I fixed that problem by sticking a screw driver in the pipe and bending the breather pipe toward the driverside to make room for the coupler

·
Registered
122 Posts
I fixed that problem by sticking a screw driver in the pipe and bending the breather pipe toward the driverside to make room for the coupler
I was just going to say the same thing. When I had my APS hard pipe on my car, I bent that breather pipe to the right a little. Probably 1/8". :D

·
Registered
490 Posts
I was just going to say the same thing. When I had my APS hard pipe on my car, I bent that breather pipe to the right a little. Probably 1/8". :D
^^ Agreed, you can do this..

Im pretty sure this is the issue with any hardpipe inlet. Once you get it on, your good to go. Id recommend taking the manifold off, install the inlet onto the manifold, if your having trouble with the fuel lines, keep the one bolt underneath out to give some flex and then put the coupler on the inlet first, tighten the clamp, then reinstall the manifold, much easier to get it on the turbo. :tup:

Had this issue when I had the APS Inlet on my car also. :)

·
Registered
783 Posts
Well...my mechanic skills were also surpassed by the AMR turbo inlet. I attempted to install one on my 2004 STi. I had actually blown my turbo so I was installing a GT52 as well as new PNP Intake and TGVs from Grimmspeed so I had the whole intake off the car. I just couldnt get the AMR inlet to line up with everything. I tried installing the coupler on the turbo first, installing it on the Inlet first. I even relocated my fuel regulator from under the intake to make more room for the inlet. I just couldnt get things to line up. Here is a pic of he problem. This is a pic with the inlet removed but the coupler connected to the turbo. The intake is bolted in place:

As you can see the TGVs really come in contact with the coupler. also if you look close o the right side of the coupler you will see that the other side of the coupler is up against the metal breather line. No room to move anywhere. I suppose that if I were to delete the metal breather this would have possible made room like the APS system install suggests but since the AMR didnt come with the molded hoses I decided I didnt want to tackle this mod. Here is a pic of the intake removed showing the metal line next to the turbo:

While I do not doubt that a profesional may be able to get this AMR inlet to work on my 2004 STi I sure couldnt after 2 days of trying and several email to AMR (which they answered). Most of the pics I see from installed AMR inlets appear to be newer cars. Do the newer STi's not have this metal line? Im not bashing AMR. This is a nice piece. I just couldnt get it to work and wanted to share my experience.

this is exactly the problem i had with mine...

·
Registered
622 Posts
Am I the only one wondering how this works without a install kit like the APS? The pipes look really close, but it goes from this:

To this:

I have the APS installed and it was a major pia, but everything fit perfectly and all the stuff that came with it made sense. The install kit fixed the above problem with the black lines, and provided a fuel line solution for 04-06 WRX/STi. I lucked out on that since my 07 has top feed injectors. I understand that it may be a cost saving measure, but wasn't the lack of install stuff the reason people were hating on the Agency Power version? If it works it works, but a lot of the issues I'm seeing here were addressed with the original APS product. And I don't want to hear people say that you could go to home depot and get everything for a buck fifty, there was a lot of specialized parts in the kit.

Looks like a great part, I just notice that it doesn't have the same install kit.

About the power steering, you can just move the whole assembly out of the way to the left, so as to not go through banjo hell.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I tried moving the metal pipe and did but it still didnt provide enough room. In fact notice on my pics above the metal pipe is not right up against the breather coming from the back of the engine. It cant move any further to the right.

·
Banned
1,463 Posts
Am I the only one wondering how this works without a install kit like the APS? The pipes look really close, but it goes from this:

To this:

I have the APS installed and it was a major pia, but everything fit perfectly and all the stuff that came with it made sense. The install kit fixed the above problem with the black lines, and provided a fuel line solution for 04-06 WRX/STi. I lucked out on that since my 07 has top feed injectors. I understand that it may be a cost saving measure, but wasn't the lack of install stuff the reason people were hating on the Agency Power version? If it works it works, but a lot of the issues I'm seeing here were addressed with the original APS product. And I don't want to hear people say that you could go to home depot and get everything for a buck fifty, there was a lot of specialized parts in the kit.

Looks like a great part, I just notice that it doesn't have the same install kit.

About the power steering, you can just move the whole assembly out of the way to the left, so as to not go through banjo hell.

The APS kit uses larger breather holes on the turbo inlet and located in different locations then stock. Which now, is unable to use any of the factory hoses. This is why they give you ALL of those components to re-route the factory breather system. Our inlet simplifies the process.

The O.D. is 3" on both units.

I tried moving the metal pipe and did but it still didnt provide enough room. In fact notice on my pics above the metal pipe is not right up against the breather coming from the back of the engine. It cant move any further to the right.

We install these inlets daily without any problems. We install 6-8 per day. Not putting down anyone in the communities mechanical skills :cool:, but if you are having problems, I suggest you pay a professional facility to install if for you. That is what they are there for. :D

Here is another 2004 STi we did on friday:

:tup:

-Rob

·
Registered
35 Posts
just return it and get a samco hose, its not worth it. There is obviously no work put behind it especially at $260 price tag. Its just a 3 inch bent pipe nothing more. And AMR can talk all they want about how well it fits, because its bunch of a crap to me. I have an 06 sti with 2.5 inlet and it fits like ****. The pictures they always post are worthless because they are newer models. Also where is the install manual already, since u install 8 a day, u think we would see one by now. And AMR should take pictures like coop1103 did, which shows exactly what problem everyone is having, because finished install does not help anyone in this case. And please dont respond to me i am fed up with you crap AMR!!!

·
Banned
1,463 Posts
just return it and get a samco hose, its not worth it. There is obviously no work put behind it especially at $260 price tag. Its just a 3 inch bent pipe nothing more. And AMR can talk all they want about how well it fits, because its bunch of a crap to me. I have an 06 sti with 2.5 inlet and it fits like ****. The pictures they always post are worthless because they are newer models. Also where is the install manual already, since u install 8 a day, u think we would see one by now. And AMR should take pictures like coop1103 did, which shows exactly what problem everyone is having, because finished install does not help anyone in this case. And please dont respond to me i am fed up with you crap AMR!!!
We will not stop posting pictures since you are not the OP of the thread.

We are sorry that you could not install the inlet yourself, but there is no need to be immature and post these comments. They do not educate the public but degrade the maturity level of the forum.

We posted pictures of every year vehicle from 2004-up. None of our dealer's or performance facilities world wide have a problem with installation. We are sorry to hear you could not install it properly, but if you do not want to pay to have a facility install it properly for you, then that is your decision.

-Rob

81 - 100 of 159 Posts