IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 04 STi with the factory security system already installed..

I think I read that others have an alarm led (which I assume is something already installed inside of your vehicle, not on the keyfob)

If so, where is the factory led light installed in the car to show the car is armed ?

I want to go back to dealership and inquire...

Thanks for any clarification!

·
Registered
858 Posts
yeah, one of the indicator lights in the dash functions as the alarm led, which is kinda cheap...

gotta ditch this system with one so i can get real LEDs placed on the doors...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone, I saw it blink last night only from the driver window... Me, personally, if I have an alarm, I want people that walk-by to see a blinking led light, think twice about my car, and walk over to the next car that probably doesn't have an alarm, because you cannot readily see an alarm light...

I think I'll put a blinking led light above where the clock radio is, for whenever the car is turned off....

·
Registered
385 Posts
Go idea Dean. How would one go about wiring that up? I wonder if you could wire it so it blinks with the OEM indicator light in the cluster.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should be extremely easy...

Essentially it'll be a relay of sorts that when a certain ground is open (or off), it then sends voltage to the led light. When the ground is then off (or open) then the relay does the opposite, like turns off voltage to the light.

So basically, anything that turns off with no key in the ignition (ie. radio, headlights, etc), then that is a ground that is turning off... any guy at Radio Shack should be able to hook you up with the exact part. (Hmmn, I guess technically it is a switched 12v that is turning off - but that is the basic idea)

I think I've seen blinking led lights (at Radio Shack) with this circuitry already built in, too! :) Bonus! Anyone ever take the bezel off from around the clock radio in the center of the dash ?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Keep us updated on your project. I've removed the clock dash piece before. I replaced it with the OEM gauge pod in my old WRX.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts