IW STi Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Re: Alt's 2008 SSM - 390whp Dom 1.5XTR

I let my uncle drive my car recently around a few local roads. He has a good deal of racing experience from Porsches to stock cars so I didn't feel too weary of him driving. He drove the car the way it was built to be driven and I have to say that the car didn't fail or show one sign of an issue the entire ride. I, on the other hand, almost puked when I got out as I didn't know the car was capable of performing as well as it did. For running RCE black springs, stock shocks, and all season tires, it held fast through turns with speed I'd never think it could enter and exit with. My new opinion: If you need coilovers for the street you drive like a complete maniac. =]

Wow, where did you get that steering wheel from?!
Looks sick.
Picked up the Steering Wheel from IAG locally. It's the GT Spec wheel with dark stitching to match the '08 grey on grey.

Looks great! I am looking at getting a 1.5 xtr as well. You are running 390hp and have had no problems on the stock block?

I'm just looking to get 350ish when I get my setup. I have an 06.

How long have u been at these power levels and how big of a jump would you say it is from stage two?
I have had no problems with stock block or stock clutch on my setup yet. The turbo was installed in September 2012, approx 6k miles ago. I place a large amount of trust in IAG's tuner and I know user1029 can testify to their ability to provide a tune that has the longevity of the motor as 1st priority. I really need to buy a Crawford AOS and Killer B oil pickup to continue to keep good care of my motor.
Stage 2 I put down 311/376, [keep in mind my stage 2 also included equal length headers and an external gate as well as dual AVCS] and it was extremely peaky when driving around. I'd come into and out of my powerband in a short amount of time and it felt like anything after 5k rpm was a waste. I spent several months looking for a turbo that suited what I wanted out of the car. A jump from stage 2? Of course, though it depends on what you're looking for. I lost the neck snapping instant 200-380ft/lb of torque in a span of ~500rpm from stage 2. But I gained so much after 4k rpm with a much flatter torque curve and better predictability. I love the step up I made, but it doesn't always suit everyones needs. Make sure to research what YOU want your car to do and how YOU want it to perform. Anyone can say "shove a giant snail under your hood" but you're the one that has to live with it.

this turbo is putting down GT30/35R numbers :tup:
I've followed your build and car as one of the first journals I subbed to when I joined. Just to see a post from you means a lot. :)
Looking at going catless [gutting] with my Cobb TBE and cutting out the 2.5" drop and welding in a vband to see if I can sneak a little closer to 400whp. If some evo guys can gain 5whp and 10wtq on 91 going from a 100cpi cat to a test pipe, I should be able to sneak out a few with 93 and the 200cpi cat to a hollow body.
At this point it's just a number and feeling an increase like that isn't much, but it's such a big round number. If not, TGV deletes should push me over.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

So the drag season in MD is winding down and a friend of mine coaxed me out to the strip last night. I haven't run the car before so it was definitely an experience. Still don't know how to launch the car on a prepped piece of tarmac. I found out what clutch smells like too. :lol:

All 4 passes I made had a miserable launch; 1st pass was a 14.3 when I missed the 1-2 shift, 2nd and 3rd passes both netted me a 13.3 both at 114mph. Feeling a little disheartened I got back in it and rode the clutch a little too much on my last pass...

60ft - 2.034
330ft - 5.662
Speed - 85.99
660ft - 8.506
Trap Speed - 111.02
Quarter Time - 12.947

I don't think it was horrible for my first time at the strip with the car and my 2nd time drag racing at all. Need to work on my launch and I have a solid contender. Quite happy with the way the car performed.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

Looks like I'm planning for bad times ahead, waiting to hear back from IAG about the status of my motor. Looks like I lost a cylinder. =[

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

damn that sucks :( :(
Yeah, I think it's starting to set in. I'm waiting for a call on Monday that will either be some miracle or a quote for a new motor. If it is indeed time for a motor I guess I have to figure out if I can spring for cams and head work at this point or not. I'd love to add to the car, I just didn't want to have to do it quite yet.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Re: Alt's 2008 SSM - Rebuild In Progress

So I've finalized my build for the car and am just waiting it out.

Manley Forged Pistons 99.75
Manley H Beam Rods
ACL Race Bearings
ARP Head Studs
Killer B Oil Pickup and Baffle
Crawford AOS
ACT Clutch
TGV Deletes
IAG Fuel Rails
DOM 3.0XTR 10cm 3" Inlet
220-C Kelford Cams
IAG Stage V Heads - CNC Ported, Manley oversided valves, Manley Springs/Retainers

Now I play the waiting game. I'm excited to see how the car will turn out.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts

How's the new motor running? :D JJ told me that you had the DW fuel pump fail which presumably caused the cracked ringland :( Do you have A/F gauge? My Aeromotive pump failing almost cost me my entire motor last month :(

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

New motor is running great. If the fuel pump failed that was news to me as I wasn't given any cause of failure outside of, "well sometimes that ringland just goes". I had them swap out pumps for peace of mind after talking to Rick about it.

·
Registered
202 Posts

I am doing the same Mods as you. IAG specifically said to avoid the DW65c because of having them failing and go with a Walbro fuel pump. I still wanted to use the DW65c and they wanted me to sign a waiver on installing it.

How long was the turbo on before the cylinder failing? and How long has your new block been installed?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

I am doing the same Mods as you. IAG specifically said to avoid the DW65c because of having them failing and go with a Walbro fuel pump. I still wanted to use the DW65c and they wanted me to sign a waiver on installing it.

How long was the turbo on before the cylinder failing? and How long has your new block been installed?
Given the failures that the DW pumps were having for a bit, I opted to swap it out. Given the chunk of change the build was, the price of a fuel pump wasn't much of a burden in the grand scheme of things.

Turbo wasn't on but a few thousand miles before the cylinder went. I had a feeling that I had issues with my cylinder 4, but the compression tests came back good so I didn't let it bug me. I've had motors fail and motors that are still running in cars I've owned in the past so I couldn't let the failure get to me ultimately.

New block and turbo has about 5k miles on it. Trying to drive it more now the weather is nice.

I'll gladly chat with you about your build if you'd like, pm me.

·
Registered
202 Posts

Thanks for the info. I will PM you shortly since I am doing the same build.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Been a long damn time. Last month had the transmission rebuilt after my interlock arm broke. This month I've decided its time to find a new project working around the house and I'm listing the car for sale!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts