IW STi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PFF7s on Silver

some background. i priced the full speakers set and WRX head unit/CD changer from the dealer. about $900 for the receiver and another $250 for the speakers. seems like a lot for a clunky OE system!

so i've seen a lot of you happy with the Alpine's you installed. i also like the 9807. the price is right. and all i really want is the benefit of having MP3 playback. $218 @ HookOnTronics.com

the looks are nice as well, as indicated by someone elses post.

now for speakers...there are so many choices. and i am not a stereo nut - so i don't need the best there is. just something that i'll be satisfied with 2-3 years down the road.

based on this post by Stephen Clark of IA, it looks as if there are quite a few choices that will fit given their adapter kits - http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnu...ad&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=34072#34072

i also gather going with 6.5" front is best. might as well get the larger woofers since they will fit if not to deep. so how does this sound for speakers Front & Rear (no stand alone tweeters):

Fronts: 6.5" (shallow Mount) Infinity Reference 6002si - http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_product_details.jsp?cid=4515

Rears: 4.5" Infinity Reference 4002i - http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_product_details.jsp?cid=4894

total cost less tax, shipping and mounting and wiring adapters = $322.00

not bad IMO.

comments/suggestions?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
My HU/speaker setup sounds nice with no AMP although my headunit (9815) has a touch more power 60Wx4. Not sure if that will be a factor. One thing to consider, is that you might want to just skip the rear speakers for now, they don't make a big difference for people in the front seat.

I don't really know anything about those speakers or HU so I can't comment on them specifically. The price is right though!

-st

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have been very happy with the 9807 with Polk 6.5" speakers in front. I'm happy enough with it that I'm not going to add the extra weight of rear speakers.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Recommended by Consumer Reports

Crazy - I just ordered my 9807 today from hookedontronics right before I read this. $218 is hard to beat for what you get. I also picked up some MB Quart RCE-216's for a little over $200 shipped from some other fly-by-night online outfit. Hopefully everything will arrive intact.

My total is probably going to break $500 with shipping, tax, wiring harnesses, and amp wiring kit (going to use an old amp to drive the fronts some old 5 1/4 rears to fill out the back) I guess all the cash I saved going with the 9807 over the 9813/9815 I blew on the speakers... oh well.

Are you going to install it yourself? That's my plan, but I may still chicken out. I'll post my experiences once all my bits & pieces arrive.

Looks like a good system to me!

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep, installing myself.

not sure if i want/need an external amp...we'll see.

the STi isn't my daily driver, and will be mostly a weekend and track event car. so a super powerful system isn't necessary.

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pulled the trigger on this setup. arrives next week :)

once i get feedback from IA i'll get the speaker adapter kits and other supplies.

i will create a tech with write up and pics even if it turns out to be very simple.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
HarlanPepper said:
Cool! I just put in my 9807 an hour ago and it was easier than I thought. Just don't drop any of those screws when you remove the metal DIN frame thing...
I lost one of those screws during my install. I ended up just giving up on ever finding that screw again...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I feel your pain, jim... I looked for about 10 or 15 minutes for the one I dropped and gave up. The lost screw nagged at me for a day or so, but I think I'm over it now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Adjusting headlights

IF you can find a place online check into the Boston Acoustics pro series speakers. Probably some of the best sounding speakers out there. You will have to go with the 5.25's front and rear because of the depth of them. They run about 400-500 a set. They are component speakers. the tweeters are AWESOME. I have a 9815 running to a 2 channel Alpine MRV 450 for the fronts. They can handle insane amounts of power. The head unit runs the rears and they even sound good. Definately try to stay at 4 ohms on everything except the sub. I am running an Alpine MRD 1000 to 2 alpine 12" Type R's at 2 ohms. Very clean and crisp, no sloppy Ghetto bass. Just my 2 cents or should I say 50,000 cents worth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts