IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my turn to ask opinions. I went to the spensive stereo store the other day and here is what the dealer is more than happy to sell me. I did say I wanted excellent sound but loudness was not a factor. I just want good clean sound.

Ok here’s the list… Oh this is all Alpine by the way…

CDA-9815 head unit - $799
MRD-M300 Mono amp - $499
MRV-F540 4/3/2 channel power amp - $999
SWS-1241D 12” sub (box not included) - $230
SPS-F17M Flagship 2 way speaker set - $599

We also discussed XM radio, which I am considering. Add extra dough here if I get it.

So with that stuff and the extras such as capacitors, cables, installation etc. it would come to about $4000 CND funds (roughly $2885 US). Is that reasonable or am I getting to much power for my needs and getting ripped?

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Actually, that sounds about right. If the installers are well-skilled, look into having them build you a custom box to the sub's exact specs, and they should be able to shape it well for the trunk.

Myself, I'm going to have my installer fabricate a fiberglass enclosure for a single 10 or 12 to the side of the trunk. Lightweight, and I should be able to easily remove for events. :D

You're not getting ripped. That's some pretty good quality stuff.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi

Thanks Yukonart, I realise that it is a great system, but is it too much? What if I went 1 or 2 notches down, would it still sound as good while cutting some cost or is this a truly kick ass system where if one can afford it, it's a must have? I notice you're talking about a 10 or 12 inch sub, is there really that much difference between the two?

See I'm a major audiophile when it comes to home surround sound systems, but I don't really know much about car audio at this point, so I don't know if I'm getting a good deal here or if I can get a bigger bang for the buck with another brand. From what I can see in the catalog, I could probably take a couple steps down and save at least 1k, but would I then be disappointed? Ah man I need a shrink! lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's some pretty good equipment, but the prices seem steep to me even in canadian dollars. If the exchange rate is 1.4 cdn to usd, that would set the headunit at $570 US! That's a ripoff, and I went with boston/JL amps & speakers so I can't comment on the other stuff, but they seem high to me. That headunit should sell for around $400-$450 USD, and should be even lower if you're buying all your equipment from one place.

Sounds like a nice setup, but I'd do some serious pricing online & make them come closer to those numbers. My local dealer pretty much matched the prices I found online, and I ended up with a killer setup for less than $2100:

Alpine 7897 HU $420
Alpine XM tuner $150
XM3 antenna $55
JL 500/5 amp $600
JL 10W6 sub $100
Boston Z6 $600
Boston RX47 $80

I would shop around some more & get more input. The NASIOC website has lots of good stereo info as well specific to subarus.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Whatever you do make sure you are giving your speakers enough power. If you can't afford to get higher watt amps or add another amp then get speakers with a lower RMS. Also if you are set on 300 watts for the sub, go with a 10" over a 12". You will notice a difference between the 2 if powered correctly. A 12" will require a lot more watts than a 10".

·
Registered
858 Posts
stick with multi channel amp and use it in a 3 channel config to power the front speakers and the sub.

then use the money saved for the mono amp for the xm tuner.

have them install everything at once. saves money and headaches in the long run...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Re: Does using a BOV use up more fuel?

I think he means don't buy a mono amp, buy a XM tuner instead.

-Lance

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I need to do lots of homework here before making a decision. Typically it takes me six months of research before I buy componants for my home theater. I'll need to start working on this as well. You guys give good advice though, thanks all for the help.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I recommend the Eclipse 8053 HU over the Alpine (if you want clean output) and maybe some Focal Utopias or Focal PolyKevlars for your components (can be found for cheap online).
I don't recommend going for your stuff all from one brand (unless 'unity' is a big issue with you.)
Shop around, because mixing and matching can usually get you a better sounding (and cheaper) system. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts