Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for comments/feedback on a proposed system for my STi:

Alpine 9813 amp
Infinity Ref 6000cs 6 1/2" front speakers
Infinity KAPPA 42.5I 4" rear speakers

No choice yet on sub/sub amp combo.

I am pretty novice at sound systems and would like to hear what folks think about this combo...

Inferno

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, this is the system I ended up with (along with a IA spacer kit and Circut City set of harnesses): 9813, Ref 6000cs, and Kappa 42.5i. I paid just under $500 for the receiver and speakers, and less than $100 for the harnesses/spacers. I am passing on the sub/amp for a while.

Now I just need to get everything put in the car...

G

·
My setup is very similar, same head unit, but I used 6.5 infinity kappas up front and 5.25's in the rear deck.

There is a significant improvement in sound quality and level with an amp, I also recommend you at least add that.

And, if you haven't already done it, it is also worth it to go ahead and run the sub wiring to the trunk if you ever intend to install it. That way you won't have to go back in and pull out your carpet a second time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, guys. I was swayed by your comments.

Based on the advice, I decided the way to go would be to add an Infinity Basslink--not the greatest system in the world but fine for someone who was going to do without. Also, it is being installed with quick disconnects and the cradle mounted so I can remove it for track days!

So the final system is:

Alpine 9813 CD amp
Infinity Ref 6000cs 6 1/2" front speakers
Infinity KAPPA 42.5I 4" rear speakers
Infinity Basslink 200w subwoofer/amp

I will post next week or so when it is all in on how it sounds because this ended up being very affordable ($700 for the equipment, $100 for the spacers, harnesses, etc). I should be in for under a grand including installation--better than the $1,200 factory system.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i would still go with a relatively small 4 channel to power the f + r speakers (something along the lines of maybe 35w x 4ch rms). this will complement the bass link well as well as sound much cleaner and louder. i would also go with 5.25"'s in the rear door.

absolutely better than the stock subi system.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The stereo sounds great (to me, anyway, and that is what counts). The only issue is the rear speakers which sound poor compared to the fronts. As long as they are just used for mid-range fill, they work great. If I wanted a better system, I would upgrade those to the Infinity reference speakers with the separate tweater. That makes a ton of difference in the front and would be great in the back for a better system. But it is perfect for me--I don't need better rears because I am always in the drivers seat!

The basslink is perfect for what I want--and it is put in with a three way plug for the power that is a quick disconnect, the lines in are two RCAs, and there are two main screws that hold the unit in place. Removal is easy if I need to reduce the weight by 20 pounds sometime. I can still get to my spare easy, as well (without removing the sub/amp). I am happy with the bass.

The rear door panel needed a little trim work on the inside--the tweater wouldn't let it sit flush but that was easy to fix.

The sound control is really intense and I haven't had time to sit down with the instructions and work out all my settings. That will happen someday...

I can see that for really good sound, the extra main amp would make a difference. I am not pushing the system that much, so I am fine with what I have, but if I was recommending it to someone else, I would say that is the way to go for louder settings.

Overall rating--very pleased!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts