IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it shouldn't be about looks, but I'm leaning towards the 9807 over the 9813. Is this stupid? The bits & pieces I've decided on so far (or have inherited):

Head Unit: Alpine 9807 (or 9813)
Rears: Pioneer Premier 5 1/4" TS-E1380 (3-way circa 1997)
Amp: MTX Blue Thunder PRO1502 (tested at 128Wx2, 4ohms, 12.5V & 412Wx1, also circa 1997ish)
Fronts: UNKNOWN! Need to listen to some first...

Given that I'll be using the above amp first to drive whatever fronts I get, and then to drive a 10" or 12" sub (or vice versa - I'll eventually need anther amp to drive both the fronts and the sub) does it really matter what's driving the rears? Would the 22W RMS from the 9807 suffice? As long as it plays MP3/WMA and CD-R/RW am I getting enough from the 9813 to warrant the extra $60 or so? (I've seen them online for $221 & $280) And is the 2-channel MTX better suited for a sub than some nice 6 1/2" fronts? All the online reviews of the MTX (although it's old) seem to be favorable from a power-to-$ and overall performance standpoint, but maybe I'll need to spring for something built in this decade.

Going to buy the head-unit and front components in the next day or two. Still totally lost on the 6 1/2" decision, but I'll just need to listen to them.

Thanks for any help folks!

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,520 Posts
Front components. . . . I'm going with my 6.5" and 1" separates from my last car. Diamond Audio M661s. They sound amazing. . . but really prefer some amplification to get there. ;)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have the 9807, that's the silver MP3 one right? I love the headunit but it's mostly blue and doesn't match my red lighting at all. I would get a model with red lighting if I were to buy one all over again.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Blizzak LM-22 vs. WS-50's

I've been pretty happy with the 9807 in my car. I'm only driving two front 6 1/2 speakers with it though...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm going to go for the 9807 and save a few bucks. Unfortunately, none of the Alpine models seem to have the red display and silver trim that would suit the STi's interior lighting. I guess it's either the silver trim and neon blue light or the black trim and green lights of the 9813. Since I'm going to be driving the fronts with an amp, I figure I don't need the upgraded HU amp that comes with the 9813.

As for the front speakers, still no idea. I'll add the Diamonds to my list of "considers". I really just need to get off my butt and find a good car stereo store around here (Palo Alto) and see them in person. If anyone knows a good shop, don't hold back! The sooner I make some headway on this install the better. I had "we built this city" in my head tonight on the way home from work and couldn't purge it...

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,520 Posts
Carbon TI-exhaust

Magnolia Audio/Video (Hi-Fi) would be a great place to listen to the Diamonds. . . and also the Focals and Bostons. ;)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked out Magnolia tonight - I guess I should have called first. They only carry home audio/video. D'oh! Anyone know a good shop on the Peninsula here in the Bay Area? I'm around Palo Alto.

I'm still dragging my feet on the HU decision - but it's going to be either the 9807 or 9813. Going to pick the speakers first and see what HU that leads me towards.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the public record, I've decided on:

Alpine 9807 head unit
MTX Blue Thunder Pro1502 driving:
MB Quart RCE 216 6 1/2 component fronts
some old 5 1/4 Pioneer Premier 3-way rears

Going to use the amp to run the fronts and the HU to run the rears. And I think I'll even try to put it in myself - mostly because I don't trust someone else ripping through my car's interior. Looks to be good info around here for the install, though. I believe I need two different adaptors for the HU - an alpine to universal and a universal to Subaru?

Tentatively scheduled the install for next weekend if I can get everything in time. The stereo shop a friend recommended charged $299 for the Alpine 9807 - that's over list! And I think it was $399 for the MB Quarts. Are you automatically supposed to haggle with them? Anyway, I think I'll just buy it online and wait a few more days for it... but pay extra for shipping.

If anyone thinks this system has the potential for sucking, let me know. I don't know how all these will come together until it happens, I guess. Thanks all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts