IW STi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, finally registered on one of these forums to share my problem so i can get some of you guys input on my diagnosis. I bought a 03 Blobeye WRX STi with 90k miles about 2 months ago for me to repair and it was running fine untill i came across this problem. First time i read the codes about a month ago, codes were for faulty front o2 sensor, P0365 so the camshaft pos sensor thats near the turbo, and the Cyl4 misfire. I Changed the o2 and reset the ECU, it threw the CEL again later that week and i checked this time it was still the P0365 but this time Cyl2 misfired, this leads me to believe that i don't have injector or spark problems but instead the faulty camshaft sensor is causing the rare random misfires. Other symptoms include almost stalling/going to very low 100-200 rpm when coming to a stop with the clutch down when the car is hot, it works just fine at speeds.
I ordered a new ridex camshaft pos sensor and new denso plugs just in case. Have any of you guys had a similar situation before and if so, how did you fix it? Give me your thoughts on my diagnosis and i will update this thread when the parts arrive within 2 weeks. Before they arrive im going to clean the throttle body and PCV system because i suspect its all gunked up and the inability to balance the pressure due to a clogged PCV system may have pushed some oil from my valve covers to ruin the sensor or maybe the sensor has just came to an end of its lifespan.

Im sorry if this post isn't the greatest, i sometimes struggle with car terms in english and im new to subarus but fairly knowledgeable when it comes to engine mechanics in general.

Extra info about my car and what has been done very recently:
It had engine bearings redone
It had water pump changed
Old owner sold it to me with a Turbosmart dualport BOV instead of OEM BPV

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I will also add altho not relevant to this situation but it has consumed a fair amount of oil (hence why i suspect it has pushed some out through valve covers). However it is not smoking and there is no signs of headgasket failure or ringlands so my best guess is the PCV system for that problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To add no, its not tuned for the BOV but it did work with it alright, yes i will get a tune and a chip once its operating properly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE: after resetting the codes and driving for 300miles,it now gave me a cylinder 1 misfire P0301, this reinforces my diagnosis about the camshaft sensor being behind all this since the misfires change from side to side and always a different cylinder.. More updates to come as soon as the parts arrive..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Parts came, car is currently being fixed by insurance since in august some shitheads kicked the trunk and the back door in, it was working fine again with no changed parts and shut off the CEL by itself for a week before taking it in... Updating when i get it back and get to work :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can Someone answer this guy!..... Anyone... Bueller Bueller
I am still in the process of fixing it, got the parts, tried to install the position sensor but i was stupid and got the front fitting one instead of the rear sensors... Best i could do is clean out the current one that had pent up oil on it, i have to wait another month or so before a new sensor arrives from japan :( Also noticed most of the hoses are hardened up and cracking at the connections so i will be renewing those as well.

All this being said, the car has ran alright for the past month, yesterday it gave the P0483 Cooling fan rationality check malfunction and i tried to troubleshoot that as well but couldn't find anything wrong..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Resurrecting an old thread!
I have fixed all the problems but still NO CERTAIN EXPLANATION for the massive loss of oil, i've been driving it for the past 7 months and all is well except the huge loss of oil.

I noticed while the car was lifted up when I was putting in new shock absorbers to the front that the valve cover is oily from the bottom AND the gasket between the timing cover and valve cover was bad looking too leading me to believe that alot of oil is going to the timing belt which will make it bad faster. Could this explain losing around 2+ qt

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also about changing these mentioned gaskets/seals, is there a way to make it doable without lifting up the entire engine? I have access to a car lift and can easily get under it, maybe jacking up the engine will make all of this possible? If there is a way to do the timing cover seals and valve cover seals without so much trouble I am all ears!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.