IW STi Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I hate to be that guy, but I’m in dire need of help.
I’ve been scratching my head trying to figure out what is causing so many knock events under partial throttle (never does it WOT). Usually around 2.5-3.5k RPM, 10-20% throttle (rough estimate, too late for me to get some logs together but I will try tomorrow and post them for y’all).
I will get fine knock learn (whenever it increases by 1.4, I can feel the engine kinda bog for a second) and sometimes doesn’t stop increasing unless I let off the gas (sometimes going up towards -10 or -11 which I think is what it maxes out at?)
On top of that, I will get feedback knock numbers that aren’t ordinary, like -3,-4,-5,-6, I’ve even seen -9 before. Not only that, but I’ll have DAM go down, I think I’ve seen every single interval that you can see.

Now that you know the extent of my problem, allow me to explain my mods and such. I’m stage 1 + intake (SF Intake, Invidia R400 CBE, Cobb bypass valve). I got an e-tune by brentuning, and had multiple knock events during my datalogs, and the tuner’s only response is that it’s normal during partial throttle. As far as I’m aware, this isn’t normal.

I got the car at 17.9k miles and it has had these mods done before I got the car (except the e-tune) as I got it used.

I’m already ruling out gas.. I’ve gotten shell v-power 93 at various shells with no change. I currently have 1500 miles on Motul 5W-40 excess 8100. Oil level seems fine, but it’s finicky to check because you have to let it sit before checking? Engine sounds and runs fine, runs amazing whenever DAM has the chance to stay at 1.0 for long enough. I have to literally granny shift just to avoid these knock events sometimes, and it’s quite annoying because I can’t drive the car without stirring up my anxiety.

Anyone have a clue as to what the problem might be? Only think I can think of would be a loose bolt somewhere, causing false knock. Because I feel like I would hear the actual pinging occurring if it were real. Could it be spark plugs causing the issue? I feel like bad plugs wouldn’t cause knock but instead make my Subaru feel like a tractor

much help would be appreciated. I’ll be willing to Venmo anyone willing to help me figure this out, no cap.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Don't start a thread with a useless title. How do people make use of this (possible useful information) in the future when doing a search?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
First lets start with the bare basic, what year is the car and is this a wrx or sti? EJ257 or FA20?

You said that when the DAM is at 1.0 the car runs fine. SO are you saying that when the DAM drops the car runs rough??

If so, lets start with the maintenance. When was the last time MAF, spark plugs, and oxygen sensors were replaced?
Any misfires or codes stored in the ECU? Any AFR readings?

If you are really worried, have you done a compression/leakdown test to verify internal engine health?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts