IW STi Forum banner

All Seasons or Snows in Eastern PA??

593 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  wi77iam 
#1 ·
Hey guys/gals,
I am on the verge of getting the whole winter wheel/tire set and I need some help. The winters here (right outside of Philadelphia) range from no snow to an occasional heavy snow (as many of you know). So my question is...which should I put on? dedicated snows or high-performance all seasons?

I've read all the numerous posts on winter tires and high performance, but I wanted a regional input on this for the conditions I'm going to be driving in.

Also, the STi is my daily driver so it will be out driving all winter, just something to keep in mind. Basically I'm wondering what people from this general region are putting on their STis. Thanks.

#2 ·
i think the Tirerack.com has good answer to your question. apparently when the all-season tire came out it was the latest technology. tire manufacturers saw it as the best possible choice for people who drive in all conditions. it also took away the need for a dedicated "traditional snow tire" big rubber lugs and metal studs. now we have the "new" style of snow tire. Blizzaks and the others. awesome traction in snow and on ice without metal studs. if you're going to run a dedicated winter tire, pass on the all seasons and go with whatever "winter" tire you like best. read the Question and Answer section at tirerack.com. they have all the answers you need and say it way clearer than i do.

#4 ·
I just mounted a set of Nokian WRs. They are advertised as four-season tires plus they have the severe weather designation just like a dedicated snow tire. The tread isn't as aggressive as the Hakkas but they definitely look like they will handle snow.

Driving impressions so far - much smoother and quieter than the RE070s on dry road. They won't handle as good but I expected that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.