IW STi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I know alot of you are going to keep your bbs wheels on for the winter like myself. I do not want to go with strictly a winter tire. So what are some all seaon tires that are High performance.In other words what are some good alternatives to the stock tires. Lets try to list some of the top quality ones that might be expensive and also ones that may be more affordable.

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,520 Posts
I'm slapping on a set of Potenza S03s onto a set of Rota SDRs. . . should do the trick in the mainly wet Pacific Northwest climate. :D

·
Registered
378 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport for $186 per tire mounted and everything at Costco. There's a $60 off a set of 4 until early Nov.

BTW, how much would used ~600 miles RE070's go for?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I bought the Continental ContiExtreme Contacts from tirerack.com. I put them on yesterday afternoon, and from what I have seen so far, I am extremely pleased. They were only $106/tire. I bought the ASA KA3 wheels and had the Conti's mounted and balanced by tirerack so I could just bolt them on. Four wheels and tires, mounted and shipped cost me only around $1,000. I didn't think that was too bad.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Are the ASA's in stock @ tirerack? Their website says available 11/19/03. If you have pics of the wheels on your car can you post? Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I replaced the stock 070s with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Gave up some performance, but not much. Superb in the rain. They are more comfortable and much less noisy. No experience in yet in snow. I'd buy again in a hearbeat.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Flat tire - patched tire questions

I just ordered the Nokian WRs. They are all-season tires, not true snow tires, but they carry the severe service designation. They also have a V speed rating with a stiffer sidewall for better handling.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yukonart said:
I'm slapping on a set of Potenza S03s onto a set of Rota SDRs. . . should do the trick in the mainly wet Pacific Northwest climate. :D
gold sdr's on either michelin pilot alpins or blizzaks for me. i can't wait to see the black on gold :D

·
Registered
334 Posts
lupohki said:
Michelin Pilot Sport for $186 per tire mounted and everything at Costco. There's a $60 off a set of 4 until early Nov.
I got the Pilot Sport A/S's from Costco at $206 per tire (no discount at my store or mentioned online). That's for 225/45-17s. I feel a little bad for not patronizing Tirerack, but Costco is more convenient and it will be very slightly cheaper.

I was looking at the Bridgestone RE950 first, but the price for them in our size isn't much cheaper. The only complaint I've seen about the Michelins is the price (and it is often mentioned). Other than that they seem to be some of the best out there. I live in Idaho, so we do get some snow -- hence I can't go with the S-03 route. On the other hand, where I drive it is generally light snow or just a bit of slush. So no need for real winter tires for me. Also, I'll get separate wheels and tires for serious driving (autocross, track days), so I don't need super performance on the street the rest of the time. Having tires last more than 7000 miles will be a novelty.

BTW, how much would used ~600 miles RE070's go for?
It's almost tempting just as a cheap track tire option.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
For what it's worth, I just orded the Conti Extreme Contacts from Tire Rack. I live in the southeast and get occasional snow. I was close to getting the Pirelli Pzero Nero's but read one too many reviews where wet condition traction was mentioned as being not too good.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
In actual side by side tests, not people's opinions, I have read that the Pirelli's performed a lot better than the Conti's in wet conditions, even dry conditions. I can't see those Pirelli's being any good in the snow though, with that tread pattern.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Yeah, the side by side comparison on Tire Rack showed that they Pzero's had higher ratings in the wet, yet actual user responses mention hydroplanning. In the end I looked at miles logged by reviewers and it was much higher for the Conti's so there were more datapoints.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I've grown to love the PZero Nero M+Ss. They were very slick and squirrelly at first, must have been a release agent used in manufacturing. Regardless....the wet handling of these is right up there with what I've come to expect from the Toyo Proxes FZ4s I've had in the past, far better than Yokos I've had....and let's not even compare the stock RE070 rubber to anything in the wet other than racing slicks.

From what I'm seeing with the all season version of the PZero Nero..I'm seriously considering the summer version for street summer tires come spring.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.