IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all.

I'm looking at tires that are all season and can handle the track (as I want to track about once every 3 months). Mind helping me? Tell me your experiences as well. I first was completely sold on Falken Zeix ZE960s, but I wonder if there are better tires. Here's what I've got:

Continental ExtremeCotact DWS06
Falken Ziex ZE960
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4
Toyo Extensa HP II
Kumho Exsta PA51
Hankook Ventus S Noble2

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
Summer . . . and winters if you need something for cold weather. They are both better, always.

Yeah this site converted me, and I have to admit they are better - even though I argued that all seasons were fine in SJ. Well they are sort of. They'll get you by. but two sets are better. I felt my car warranted summers after I had the under-steer gone. Then I tried winters after I had summers. I will do S/W on the stock new car first thing - so that will technically be it's first mod - if you call that a mod, I don't.

Yeah, that should be anyone's first planned mod who can't use summers all year . . . ( if they buy in the summer they might actually do other stuff first)

·
Vendor
419 Posts
All seasons will vaporize at the track. If you're even driving a moderate pace they won't last a whole day. Get some 200TW tires for the track and some winter tires like Mheyman said.

We run Luckydog race cars on the RS4s, the rest of our race cars run slicks. RS4s hold up really well on the track. Slicks last 1-2 track days and 4-6 race hours.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, but probably I'll get a 2nd set of Falkens just for the track though. One set for all-season; one for track. Again, I'm in suburban Atlanta Josh. So, I most likely won't need winters as it doesn't snow heavily as the northeast or midwest.

·
Vendor
419 Posts
Regardless of the need for winters, all seasons are garbage on the track and will not last. If you're going to track the car get some 200TW tires for the track.

Alright, but probably I'll get a 2nd set of Falkens just for the track though. One set for all-season; one for track. Again, I'm in suburban Atlanta Josh. So, I most likely won't need winters as it doesn't snow heavily as the northeast or midwest.

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
I dont believe modern performance winters are top snow tires. They are great colder weather tires that can handle some snow. Today there doesn't seem to be any performance reason to intentionally choose AS tires if you own a set of tires for summer and another for winter. If you don't care about performance then I'm sure you can save $ by running cheaper longer life AS tires, but that's the only reason I can think of.

My point was that they perform better than AS tires - and I fought against this notion publicly here - till I had real experience. FYI, I live in SJ,and get very little snow, but Ill never put another set of AS on my STIs.

ADDED: My Michelin winters (whatever they are) are better than a set of summer PS2s i had previously. I never trusted the PS2s. I didn't realize this until the PS2s were replaced with PS4s,. the trust issue was entirely tire! It prevented from from pushing the car for a couple of years!

One way not to have to change wheels and tires . . .

(I'll add the pic for this first nice day I'm home)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since this is still helping me find tires, I've done some searching. Help me choose between these now:

Toyo R888R
Hankook Ventus RS4

·
Vendor
419 Posts
These are totally different tires. Both good but 100TW vs 200TW. The R888 will last me a long weekend at the track and the are really loud. The RS4 is a much better road tire and not as good at the track. I'd suggest the RS4 for your experience level and track frequency.

Since this is still helping me find tires, I've done some searching. Help me choose between these now:

Toyo R888R
Hankook Ventus RS4

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doesn't last as long the track? I don't like the sound of that. Know another tire? I know I said I want to track periodically, but I want to be on safe tires too.

·
Vendor
419 Posts
Quote my message so I know what you're talking about.

This isn't about safety and I didn't say what you're writing.

The RS4 would be a good tire for you. Not the R888. Like I said, they are totally different.

How many track days have you done?

Doesn't last as long the track? I don't like the sound of that. Know another tire? I know I said I want to track periodically, but I want to be on safe tires too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote my message so I know what you're talking about.

This isn't about safety and I didn't say what you're writing.

The RS4 would be a good tire for you. Not the R888. Like I said, they are totally different.

How many track days have you done?
I'll be honest, none. I'm just a college student. I want to plan my build ahead of time. It's gonna be a while. You maybe right though. I'll need the Hankooks.

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
I'll be honest, none. I'm just a college student. I want to plan my build ahead of time. It's gonna be a while.
"just a college student" - - Don't sell yourself short - planning is good :) - I'm planning a build that's three years out . . .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts