IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steering Wheel

Well i have reviewed all of my mods now i can tell you how much of a differance they make. Before i had any mods i raced my friends 2002 z28 lightly modded from a roll 3 times, each time he walked me hard, even when i purposly jumped him, he realed me in like nothing. We did 20 mph rolls and we both went into 1st, he had a good 4 cars on me by 100. Then we took it to the freeway and did some 80 rolls and it was a joke, a couple of times he couldnt even tell if i was on the gas or not.
But now i have all my mods and we line up for a 20 mph roll, due to the power in 1st and 2nd in the STI i actually got a car on him by 60, and by 100 we were door on door. Then we took it to the freeway and i stuck with him like 10000000 times better, still couldnt beat him, but it is a huge improvement.
The z28 is moded so dont think that i am a bad driver, he beat ferraris anywhere under 140.

·
Registered
316 Posts
What do you have done to your car?
What does he have done to his car?
--Sin52

·
Registered
316 Posts
Wait I see your mods listed. How does the blow-off valve help? Is it recirculatory or atmospheric? Go get the Perrin lightweight crank pulley and see how you do. What does he have?--Sin52

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A blow off valve doesnt help, i just have it in my mod list, cause it is one of my mods.
In the z28 we have taken a 575M with tubbie exhaust and a 355 spyder. the 575 was from a 30 roll and we held her off until 140, and the 355 was from a 40 roll and we were on the gas until 150, and he didnt catch up the whole time.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
sorry to say but BULLLSH#@T z28s are just plain out SLOW!!! my fricken fucus can beat one lol no way an STI could lost to 4000lb of american backyard steel!!!!!=)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey Bud, unfortunatly the last 2 generation Z28s are not slow. The 2001 z28 kicked my 02 wrx's ass on the highway stop to 140.
My curent sti beat a new trans am on the drag strip but only by .1 of a sec. And my mph was 101 his 105 So in high gear he really started to move. Of coarse this was my stock sti and he had exhaust. Not to flame but I have NEVER seen a fucus beat eather sti or new z28 ( except pro drag, or v8 convert.) Not even turboed ones! Ond one more thing a stock sti can beat a stock 355 spider, Just pick up a comparo mag.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Yeah, but even the 2002 camaro ss performance specs are extremely closely matched to the ferrari 355 at best, so I would think to beat a 575 it would have a tough time beating it. Obviously not sure what the differences are from a roll but they appear to be closely matched to the 355 (being optimistic for the ss). To flat out hold off a 575 and to keep the 355 from catching up at all, I'm curious what the mods were.

p.a.sti, specs I found show the 355 doing 13 second flat 1/4 miles, that's going to beat the sti more times than not, depending on various factors. Yes, there have been stock sti's clocked at 12.9's, but most people are running low to mid 13's. Again, factors such as altitude, temp, weather, driver, and other things make a difference.

Regardless, the 2002 z28 is not a slow car.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
ok dude i never said a fucus can beat an sti, i aint that stupid! but i did beat a stang with my fucus my fucus is a crack whore trust me this thing can keep up with the svt fucus lol so please chill out! =) one last thing trust me i know alot about the sti so i know what it can beat and what it cant and im pretty dam sure it can beat a z28! ;-)

·
Registered
28 Posts
my friend has a 2002 z28 stock and my sti is stock, off the line i get him evey time, but from a 20, 40, and 60 he gets me in the top end(4th gear)or sometimes sooner. i used to have a 2001 ss and trust me there quick from a roll.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Focus? lol, a frickin focus?

Your focus is either HEAVILY modded or this supposed svt cobra driver was smoking crack with his shifting hand.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FasStAsS_sTi i wasnt even going to respond to your stupid comment, but i have decied to. The car is a little over 3500 pounds, not 4000, my friend and i took his car to the track when it was bone stock and pulled a 13.4, and that isnt slow considering he launched it at 1800rpms, not to mension the fact that he rolled his brand new 2002 z28 m6 with all the options on it for 24000 off the lot. And now that it is lightly upgraded he runs a 12.7 at the track, i cant remeber the mph but i will ask him. You are a idiot keep you mouth shut about thing that you dont know about. You can take a stock Z28 and drop about 3grand into it and be running low 12s knocking on the door of 11s, i would know my other friend has one, i dont post my races with him, cause he murders me, i barely take him off the line, the beauty of a v8 with posi and a torque converter. If you live in southern california you can see it in person i would be more than happy to educate you on camaros, and just another thing while we are on the subject, you know that z28s have the same exact engine as a corvette and have better drag suspension, so stock for stock a z28 and a vette are a great race, the only reason that the vette wins is because it is 250+ pounds lighter. So before you talk, know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FasStAsS_sTi another thing, never compare a stupid secritary mustang to a real man Camaro, you probably raced a v6 mustang, and even if it was a v8 big deal. A automatic rag top mustang v8 is only good for a high 14, and the hardtop manual with a GOOD driver might be able to pull low 14s.
stats
Camaro Mustang
5.7L v8 4.6L v8
350 hp 260hp---------camaros are underrated from the factory, it isnt unusally for a stock camaro to pull 300+ to the rear wheels stock.
360 trq 290trq----------once again factor underrated for the camaro.
correct me if i am wrong on any of my numbers but those are about right. A mustang is a joke compared to a camaro. My v6 camaro with intake header and exhaust could take a automatic V8.
Just try and know what you are talking about before you open your mouth/start typing.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Whew, there are some serious generalizations in this thread. I have tried SO HARD to not interject, but I can't hold off anymore. Ender 2664, wow, you have the worst of generalizations. "A mustang is a joke compared to a camaro"...hmm, seems a bit biased. I have driven 6 mustangs prior to this STi, so allow me to be biased for a bit, without generalizing. Do you remember '87 through '93 GT Mustangs, which are by far still the most popular and mod friendly Mustang in existence. It wasn't until the early 90's that Camaro offered a 350 V8 that could just barely edge out the stock 225 hp 5.0 liter Mustang. Why did Camaro have to bring out the 350?...because the they couldn't create any more hp from their pathetic 305 V8 at 185 hp approx. So, as has been since the early 90's, it has required a Chevy 350 to nudge a 302, and now a 4.6 liter, 281 V8. Everybody has had their fast cars. I had an '87 Mustang GT with a DSS 306 that ran 12.2 at 110 mph on street tires and ZERO suspension work. My 2000 Mustang GT had 3.73 gears, underdrive pullies, full exhaust, 70 mm throttle body, and a cold air kit....with those mild mods, I was whooping the snot out of 2001/2002 Camaro SS's, WS6's and the old FireHawks from DEAD STOP or from a ROLL up to 120 mph. After 120, as usual for the GM product, I would give up ground. So without generalization, yes the last two generation Camaros and especially the last, were very fast cars....no doubt, quicker than most Mustangs. However, this does not make the Mustang a joke. Remember, the Mustangs are making the power off a 281 cu in small V8, vs. the Camaro's 350 cu in. large in comparison V8. I don't wanna magazine race, but remember the recent 300 hp Mach I's....no slouch....even beating the '03 SS twice from a personal viewing. The STi undoubtably is quick from a stop...up top, "typically", the STOCK STi will lose badly to a STOCK Z28, especially a 6 speed. And the Focuses...c'mon, they're doin' good to break into the 14's. I saw one at the most recent Fun Ford Weekend than ran I think a 13.5..and people went crazy...the SVT Focus is not all it's cracked out to be...hmm OK, I said what I had to say, and tried to be courteous about it, with no flaming...

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Used to be a lot of people on this forum that liked cars in general, and owned sti's. It was nice to have so many people in one place that could like and respect other cars for what they were. Now it seems like we are starting to get a lot of people bashing cars they don't own or that aren't the "right" make. Misconceptions such as BMW's and Porsches being slow and for image only, Mustangs being weak, Camaros being slow, Focuses beating Mustangs (sorry, couldn't resist). :lol: And I thought the evo vs. sti threads were annoying... :roll: Sometimes I forget which board I logged onto, the f-body vs. everyone else board, or the sti board.

I liked it the old way better. :(

·
Registered
454 Posts
LOL... there is so much comedy in this thread I don't even know where to start.

But whiplash306...

1.) A 2000 Mustang GT with 3.73 gears, underdrive pullies, full exhaust, 70 mm throttle body, and a cold air kit is not going to "whoop the snot" out of a '01-'02 Camaro SS. It needs that just to make up the 75 hp deficit is has from the get go... not to mention that GM underrates there engines, where Ford overrates them.

2.) You could not have seen any car beat a 2003 Camaro SS. There IS NO 2003 Camaro SS, 2002 was the last year the car was produced.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
My apologies DrEvyl, as I often get the '02/'03 as being the last year of the F-body mixed. I do however have NO reason to lie as to my winning numberous races in the 2000 GT against the elite F-bodys. You know as well as I do the fact that certain cars are "possessed"....some sort of minor build differences, tolerance differences, etc that make it different from the others. I had the fortune of stumbling upon one of those with the 2000 GT. These races were street races, as I have been flamed a few times for participating in. You are correct in the hp deficit I had to acct. for. Perhaps it was due to traction, driver ability, whatever. But, a win is a win...and with that "one particular" 4.6 liter, I had many of them against GM's elite cars, besides the Corvette. I had an '03 GT as well, with a few mods...3.73's, full exhaust off the 2000, cold air kit and TB....this car did not fair as well. Beyond that, I can give no other explanation. Radar on Paws, I am an enthusiast of all cars, I just don't condon bashing of other people's cars or other people's interests. I "try" not to bash, I "try" not to magazine race. I "try" to post only off personal experience. But I do understand what you mean as to this being an STi site specifically. I'm sorry, as I just could not fight back the need to interject an opinion after reading all the posts.....

·
Registered
454 Posts
As far as that goes, my thought is that if you don't have a time slip from the track, any claims of being able to smoke this or that are pretty much irrelivant.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wasnt saying that all mustangs are a joke, just the present day ones. The 05 or 06 mustang, whenever that comes out, wont be a joke either. But the present day GTs are, and if you would have but the mods that you had on your mustang on a camaro it would smoke you. All i am saying is that the camaro is a much better car than a mustang stock for stock, mod for mod. And the new mach 1 is very quick, but stock for stock, with equal driver the SS will still take the mach 1 at a 1/4th but the mach 1 turns much better. Dont get down on chevy for going to a larger engine and not being able to make more power, look at the cobra. They couldnt make the power that they wanted N/A cost effectivly, so they just threw on a supercharger and called it a day. Regardless a stock z28 will out run a stock or lightly modded STI.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts