IW STi Forum banner

All new 2022 Subaru WRX

17K views 70 replies 29 participants last post by  Jboggie 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Really excited to see what the new generation will bring! Hopefully better insulation so I can hear music on the highway properly haha :D

That being said, never getting rid of my 2018 WRX STI, cause EJ engine is special for me.

But would love to get the new gen near the end of it's life as a second car :D

#7 ·
Simple bolt ons and flexfuel tune made an easy 400whp for my 2019 WRX for less than $7000. The FA20 motors have 10:1 compression ratio and have a twin scroll turbo directly attached to the header makes for crazy fast spool. With 0.4L increase in displacement in the FA24 and OEM beefier rods, it would be perfect for people looking from <500whp with simple bolt ons. Above 500whp I would want the EJ25 because the aftermarket has figured out and addressed all the kinks :)

#9 ·
Simple bolt ons and flexfuel tune made an easy 400whp for my 2019 WRX for less than $7000. The FA20 motors have 10:1 compression ratio and have a twin scroll turbo directly attached to the header makes for crazy fast spool. With 0.4L increase in displacement in the FA24 and OEM beefier rods, it would be perfect for people looking from QUOTE]

Is this suppose to be impressive? SRT-4’s notorious ran 400+ whp for under $2,000, cobalt ss turbos even less. $7000 is ridiculous, at that point you should have bought an sti , used m2, mint evo ix…catch my drift?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I already have a 13 year old STI and I like the Subaru platform for safety and symmetrical AWD for traction and no torque steer. I have a soft spot for Subarus so I’m not interested in any of the cars you mentioned. Here is my STI:

#22 ·
Well guys, it looks like a turd. That black plastic completely ruins the whole car.

Yeah. Cars a major POS. VW annihilated them with the new golf r and gti in the looks department by far. Subaru isn’t making cars for the enthusiast who buys the sti anymore nor do they care about the rally history and heritage like we do. It’s all BS lies they use as marketing schematics. This car is directed at the liberal weirdos who buy the cross trek and outback not us. Subaru should of discontinued the car until it had a proper replacement or evolve the VA chassis further (improvements could of been made) rather than release this. Major fail….and only two colors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#23 ·
I don't disagree with the initial take on the black plastic wheel arch cladding being a very poor styling decision... but at the same time until I see it in person there isn't much discussion to be had.

I'd prefer to discuss some of the other take-aways.

Adaptive suspension in the GT trim is an interesting development. I imagine this will make it over to the STI. Not a fan of the piddly peak power increase. This has to be fuel economy driven... right? In order to maintain the same fuel economy figures with the outgoing 2L, they had to do this right? Because a 330 HP STI would be ..... underwhelming.

Disappointed in the seats. The recaros are still the fatso budget version.

FInally, improving chassis rigidity? I would love to know how they achieved 28% more torsional stiffness over the outgoing car given how rigid it already was.

#25 ·
Before this I never would have imagined how bad a car could be ruined by wheel arches, just amazingly terrible. Kind of looks like the car has a lift kit. After all the hype honestly the 3hp gain is more funny than sad. Hate to see the giant screen, hoping somehow the sti will avoid that but very doubtful.

#26 ·
Subaru is trying to move away from a tuner's car and that type of car culture. They want the outdoor adventuring and traveling correlation, not the tuner cult. I think one of the main reasons for plastic wheel arches is because of wheel fitments. You can't roll these "fenders" and plastic holds up better than paint when it is against gravel and rocks. Just a speculation by myself. If the WRX or STI doesn't make sales, Subaru will see it in their books and perhaps have a change. Vote with your money.

#36 · (Edited)
I agree with most of the above - expect one thing: The WRX is not the STI. The hope is small, but not completely extinguished, though i have made it very clear that I never thought any significant power increase was in the works. But, I do believe this WRX will hurt the models sale. I believe most were sold to people who wanted STIs (even when they would not admit it, even arguing the WRX was a better car, or a better DD, neither of which I agree with) and could not afford one. Those sales are gone, and so will STI sales be if it were to follow suit.

#47 ·
I can see the argument for wanting to differentiating the STI, but I think the ugly model is going to stay since I can't see any way they could justify designing 2 new bodies.
Ironically I would I can see more people buying the new wrx over the sti if the only difference in power ends up being tuning. If an access port and protune will net similar numbers, theres not much more you get with the STI. The recaros on the VA were garbage, and I'd take a good set of coilovers over electronic suspension prone to breaking anyday.

#37 ·
It does look better in darker grey/black colors because the plastic does not stand out as bad. Agree the wrx not trying to be an sti. I remember not liking the 2015 mustang when it first came out and I had at the time the last of the s197 in a 2014 gt/cs. I did buy an 18 gt pp1…lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.