IW STi Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
31 Posts
Armour All baby…
Griot's Garage black trim restorer :)

I was looking at that trim and wondering if it comes off, then you could easily do flares or even carbon replacements or covers if they are "built in". Almost all of the other models have that black trim, so it is a sort of family resemblance kind of thing they are doing I think as a nod to the off road nature of the WRX (I mean, it IS in the name lol) Yeah, not a huge fan of that look on this car though. Those black covers were already there in at least two of the early official prototypes.

Body color the black strip in the back and it will look better, but I am sure it won't be long before we see carbon covers for it.

The thing I like best though, is it seems to get the same center console and giant screen from the Outback, which I really like.

·
Registered
455 Posts
It's just typical Subaru at this point. Builds a gorgeous Viziv concept, neutered it into a Corolla. Same will happen with the STI, unless Subaru reads all the comments on social media and does an about face. In my opinion, the STI needs to be angry and mean looking. Over sized scoop, flares, wing, vents, you name it. An AWD Civic Type R if you will. The WRX can be tame looking. Which it so is. But it will probably look exactly like the new WRX with a wing on the back, even though under the skin it's a completely different car.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here’s a tribute we made to the GD - VA chassis, I guess time will tell about the new ones!

Hope you enjoy, let us know what you think!

·
Premium Member
See about
6,136 Posts
Someone thought they could offer a \n alternative to the Bronco and still keep the current sales

😂 🤣 😂🤣

OK I don't choose car primarily on looks. So if it handles like a dream, weighs under 3K, and comes with 350AWHP I'll take back everything I've written about it

😂 🤣 😂🤣 😂 🤣 😂🤣 😂 🤣 😂🤣

·
Registered
13 Posts
FYI - My wife has a new Outback with that same giant screen, and it is awful. It's always freezing and restarting, the touch screen response is brutally slow, and you can't even turn on the seat heaters or AC without touching the screen 3x in different menus. She hates it and wishes she had the "little" screen I have in my STi with real buttons.

I 1000% prefer the knobs and dials in my 2020 STi. I hate her screen so much, that if the new one comes with that thing, it would really weigh on my decision to upgrade to a new STi. It's that bad.

Griot's Garage black trim restorer :)

I was looking at that trim and wondering if it comes off, then you could easily do flares or even carbon replacements or covers if they are "built in". Almost all of the other models have that black trim, so it is a sort of family resemblance kind of thing they are doing I think as a nod to the off road nature of the WRX (I mean, it IS in the name lol) Yeah, not a huge fan of that look on this car though. Those black covers were already there in at least two of the early official prototypes.

Body color the black strip in the back and it will look better, but I am sure it won't be long before we see carbon covers for it.

The thing I like best though, is it seems to get the same center console and giant screen from the Outback, which I really like.

·
Registered
2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
31 Posts
FYI - My wife has a new Outback with that same giant screen, and it is awful. It's always freezing and restarting, the touch screen response is brutally slow, and you can't even turn on the seat heaters or AC without touching the screen 3x in different menus. She hates it and wishes she had the "little" screen I have in my STi with real buttons.

I 1000% prefer the knobs and dials in my 2020 STi. I hate her screen so much, that if the new one comes with that thing, it would really weigh on my decision to upgrade to a new STi. It's that bad.
Sounds like an issue with that car specifically and the dealer should address it. I had a 2021 Outback for 2 months as a loaner and I loved that screen, even though I also prefer knobs and buttons for most things. Knobs and buttons will work for a lot longer than that screen will. If you don't like screens, you won't like most cars coming out going forward because that's the direction most companies are going already.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree with most of the above - expect one thing: The WRX is not the STI. The hope is small, but not completely extinguished, though i have made it very clear that I never thought any significant power increase was in the works. But, I do believe this WRX will hurt the models sale. I believe most were sold to people who wanted STIs (even when they would not admit it, even arguing the WRX was a better car, or a better DD, neither of which I agree with) and could not afford one. Those sales are gone, and so will STI sales be if it were to follow suit.
I can see the argument for wanting to differentiating the STI, but I think the ugly model is going to stay since I can't see any way they could justify designing 2 new bodies.
Ironically I would I can see more people buying the new wrx over the sti if the only difference in power ends up being tuning. If an access port and protune will net similar numbers, theres not much more you get with the STI. The recaros on the VA were garbage, and I'd take a good set of coilovers over electronic suspension prone to breaking anyday.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I can see the argument for wanting to differentiating the STI, but I think the ugly model is going to stay since I can't see any way they could justify designing 2 new bodies.
Ironically I would I can see more people buying the new wrx over the sti if the only difference in power ends up being tuning. If an access port and protune will net similar numbers, theres not much more you get with the STI. The recaros on the VA were garbage, and I'd take a good set of coilovers over electronic suspension prone to breaking anyday.
The WRX has never been a "detuned" STI, and it never will. As much as the WRX owners would like to believe that, it simply isn't true. Under the skin they're completely different. I just hope to God this time around it'll look different too because goddamn is that WRX disappointing.

·
Registered
2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
31 Posts
The WRX has never been a "detuned" STI, and it never will. As much as the WRX owners would like to believe that, it simply isn't true. Under the skin they're completely different. I just hope to God this time around it'll look different too because goddamn is that WRX disappointing.

They seem to be getting closer to each other, but there tend to always be a small number of things that are different that make much bigger differences than most would expect.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX STI
122 Posts
They seem to be getting closer to each other, but there tend to always be a small number of things that are different that make much bigger differences than most would expect.
Small number? They have different engines and transmissions... that is a world of difference.

·
Registered
2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
31 Posts
Small number? They have different engines and transmissions... that is a world of difference.
You might be talking about your generation only. In the GD everywhere but the US they had the same motor, but 5SP vs 6SPw/DCCD. Only in North America we had the 2.5. 237 vs. 300

In the GH/GR/GV they both had 2.5, but 5SP vs. 6SPw/DCCD. Turbo was the same size, but different IC and 90 deg vs. straight. 265 vs 300

In the VA generation 2.0 vs 2.5 because they were trying to move to a new platform but that did not work out for the STI because it wasn't able to reliably put down high power and long life, so they stuck with the old 2.5 for the STI. Both have 6sp though, with the STI getting yaw control on the DCCD. 268 vs 305

That is getting closer together, despite the changes. Yes on the track there is definitely a difference, but on paper they appear closer over the generations. They don't want to lose STI sales to the WRX, so differences have to be there. Again, the question is, will STI build the next STI model or will it be a Subaru? Because the differences are much larger if STI builds it. I looked at a S209 extensively and that car is NOTHING like the base STI. Almost every part has been reworked or changed.

This next generation I expect a bigger gap because the STI needs to be more upmarket than the WRX for it to sell well. This WRX is quoted as 268 again, but the expectation is the STI will have a definite bump.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts