IW STi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah. Autometer Cobalt. Electronic Boost, Oil Temp, and EGT gauges like to play on their own. They usually all 3 work, but then about 10 minutes into a drive, they all stop working. Anyone have any experience with this? I bought the gauges brand new. It seems to be getting worse..(more frequent). Who can think of a legitimate reason for this occurance? It's really pissing me off. Im starting to regret getting these, and not just going with some Defi's. Get what ya pay for I guess..I thought autometer would be reliable. Apparently not.

·
Registered
13,679 Posts
Not sure what's going on with the gauges, did you try to see if Autometer has some sort of a troubleshooting page or calling them?

I used to have their 5" Monster Tach on my Integra back in the days and that thing started doing some weird things as well, I finally took it off and was done with it.

Defi FTW!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Must be defective! I Have had my Autometer gauges for 8-9 months now and no problems. Installed them myself, as I do most everything on my car. Can you take them back? Still under warranty? Not much help I know. My wife had Defi gauges and mine work just as well for 1/3 the price. My wife had an Evo and traded it in for an STI about 2 mos. ago but I don't know what route she'll go on gauges, if any. Bill:confused:

·
Registered
13,679 Posts
BillsEvo said:
Must be defective! I Have had my Autometer gauges for 8-9 months now and no problems. Installed them myself, as I do most everything on my car. Can you take them back? Still under warranty? Not much help I know. My wife had Defi gauges and mine work just as well for 1/3 the price. My wife had an Evo and traded it in for an STI about 2 mos. ago but I don't know what route she'll go on gauges, if any. Bill:confused:
Does your wife have a sister?

End hijack! :)

Call Autometer and talk to them about warrenty.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
If every gauge stopped, it has to be something in common with all the gauges: check your power and ground connections. I'm sure you don't have 3 gauges all failing at the exact same time. This sounds like an install issue, not a gauge issue.

·
Registered
839 Posts
klaymon said:
If every gauge stopped, it has to be something in common with all the gauges: check your power and ground connections. I'm sure you don't have 3 gauges all failing at the exact same time. This sounds like an install issue, not a gauge issue.
wise man:tup:

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
BigboostSTi said:
yeah..they all stop exactly at the same time lol.

I dont know what to check. I didnt install them. What would be loose? The connections to the battery? The connections elswhere??
The gauges most likely get their power from the ignition, not the battery. You will have to open/remove the pod they are in so you can access the wiring. My Autometers have 3 posts on the back: power (ignition), ground, and signal (sending unit). If you have all gauges failing, you will only be concerned with 2 of those 3, power and ground.

Those leads most likely come into the pod to one gauge then jump from one to the next. You'll focus primarily on the first gauge those wires go to. Make sure you have a good connection there on the power and ground leads. Depending on how they are installed there may be crimp connectors on the wires. Pull on each wire just to make sure it is securely crimped in the connector. I've seen these come apart but not look like it.

After verifying each connection at the gauges, you are left with trying to track down the other end of those wires (power and ground). This may or may not be easy depending on pod location (dash, a-pillar, etc). When you locate the other end of the wires, check those connections. Again if you have some kind of crimp connections, pull on them to make sure they are secure.

If you know how to use a volt meter you can test further if you don't find anything else wrong. Leave the pod unmounted so you can access the wires. When the gauges stop working, put your volt meter on the power and ground at the back of the gauges and see if you read 12-14 volts. If not (most likely), leave one of your test leads on the power and move your other lead to a completely different ground location (open the door and use a hinge bolt or something). If you get a voltage reading, you have a bad ground connection to your gauges. If you still don't have voltage, it gets a little trickier. Find another 12 volt source (power lead to the stereo, etc). Put your test lead to the ground at your gauges and the other lead on the power wire on the other accessory. If you have voltage, you have a bad power lead to your gauges. If no voltage under either circumstance, you have an issue with both power and ground to your gauges.

If all this seems overwhelming or you don't understand part of it, I would suggest finding a reputable shop to help you.

I highly doubt you have a gauge issue. I've had my Autometers for 2 years and I had them in a previous car and they worked great. Don't be too quick to fault the product when it sounds like there are other issues.

I hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.