IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do these do on the track as well as the street? im thinking about picking up a pair this week.

How do these compare to the hawk hps?

I know this is like beating a dead horse but ive read through a bunch of the threads and my head is spinning.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
we installed them on an accord which my parents drive right now.. they seemed pretty good for the price... but for the occasional track day i would place my bet on the hawks, pagid, or feroda lines...

hey, did u consider the ds2500's?? i just purchased them from raceshopper along with some ate superblue... the prices can't be beat. in any case good luck with ur choice!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ultimates FTW!

I use Ultimates but haven't tracked them. The Ultimates have about the same MOT as the Ferodo DS2500 (1022 vs 1050) but the DS2500 are not recommended for the street. They need to be warmed up on cold days to brake well and produce noise and medium dust. Ultimates also cost $109 for the F+R set which is about half the cost of the DS2500s. The Ultimates are dustless for me and as quiet as stock. For track only I would recommend the DS2500 (though I've never used them) but for mostly street driving Ultimates have my vote. Read this thread:
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59193&page=2

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
9,936 Posts
^^^ the ferodo 2500's are a street/track pad and are fine for the street (i personally ran them with no problems, and i know plenty of other people that do as well). I dont have any experience with the axxis's but you should find out if they are closer to a ferodo 2500 pad or a hawk hps pad. if it's like the hawk hps then i wouldn't run them on the track.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
i'm interested in the axis pads as well. my car is strictly street and for the price, i think they would be a good option for me. for those that run them, i'm assuming they outperform the oem pads, correct?

·
Registered
45 Posts
evilSTi7 said:
if it's like the hawk hps then i wouldn't run them on the track.
Hawk HPS Plus have a MOT of 750 degrees fahrenheit, almost 300 degress less than the DS2500 and Ultimates. Ultimates are not like the HPS Plus pads.

lokutus1 said:
i'm interested in the axis pads as well. my car is strictly street and for the price, i think they would be a good option for me. for those that run them, i'm assuming they outperform the oem pads, correct?
They fade less than stock, are soo well priced, produce almost no dust, and make about the same noise as stock. They outperform OEM pads in my book. Ultimates were made for the street, but someone should track them to see how they fare. Guess it might be me. ;)

·
9,936 Posts
fuzzydude said:
Hawk HPS Plus have a MOT of 750 degrees fahrenheit, almost 300 degress less than the DS2500 and Ultimates. Ultimates are not like the HPS Plus pads.
are you talking about the HP+ or the HPS? The HPS should not be used on the track, and the HP+ are fine, but once you get aggresive with braking they aren't so great. same with ferodo's.

·
Registered
45 Posts
evilSTi7 said:
are you talking about the HP+ or the HPS? The HPS should not be used on the track, and the HP+ are fine, but once you get aggresive with braking they aren't so great. same with ferodo's.
HP+ and HPS have about the same MOT (800 vs 750) so I can't imagine either would handle fade that well. Of course, numbers aren't everything.

EDIT: I meant wouldn't handle fade as well compared to DS2500s or Ultimates.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
right now im broken down between two pads, ds2500 or the axxis ultimate. I have no clue what to choose =T i want to know which is better for a person who likes to touge with his friends on the weekend and sees track days once a week, yet drives the car daily to work and school. Leaning towards axxis because of price, but i dont want pads that might risk my life when i really need to brake up in the mountains.

·
Registered
226 Posts
KiTsuNe said:
right now im broken down between two pads, ds2500 or the axxis ultimate. I have no clue what to choose =T i want to know which is better for a person who likes to touge with his friends on the weekend and sees track days once a week, yet drives the car daily to work and school. Leaning towards axxis because of price, but i dont want pads that might risk my life when i really need to brake up in the mountains.
:yeahthat: I need something that will work like the oem's for canyon runs and still work good for daily driving. So basically, the bite and braking power of oem, just less dust. I'm leaning towards axxis too, but not sure...

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
^^ that's basically what i want too. less dust, but similar performance to oem pads

·
9,936 Posts
generally, more dust means better braking performance. If you want to upgrade to something with more stopping power and more fade resistance your probably not going to get something that dusts less.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yeah fuzzydude, I ended up buying the Axxis Ultimates, should be getting them soon!

·
Registered
45 Posts
evilSTi7 said:
generally, more dust means better braking performance. If you want to upgrade to something with more stopping power and more fade resistance your probably not going to get something that dusts less.
I suppose we'll know for certain after someone takes it to the track. Otherwise, Axxis is setting themselves up for a false advertising lawsuit with their claimed operating temperature which would be improbable but not unheard of.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
evilSTi7 said:
generally that's true, but there are pads out there that fit my requirement of dusting less and offering similar performance to oem. i just have to decide which brand to go with. i'm just hoping that the ultimates are one of the pads that fit the requirement.

·
Registered
993 Posts
KiTsuNe said:

By "sees track days once a week" do you mean 1/4 mile or road course. If you are at a road course once a week you need some track pads and just swap them out with street pads. Stop thinking about dual purpose pads.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay everything but the track days, weekly canyon/mountain runs and daily driving.

·
Registered
226 Posts
KiTsuNe said:
Okay everything but the track days, weekly canyon/mountain runs and daily driving.
Same here. Sounds like the axxis are the way to go.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I HATE the Axxis Ultimate pads. I don't like the pedal feel and feedback they give and they're not enough pad for me on the track...

·
Registered
45 Posts
docwyte said:
I HATE the Axxis Ultimate pads. I don't like the pedal feel and feedback they give and they're not enough pad for me on the track...
You're saying you hate them on the track but not the street right? I used the Porterfield R4S on a short track (around 800+ degrees) and I actually think the Ultimates have better feel and feedback, but I haven't run the Ultimates on an extended track run to the limit of fade yet. I'm starting to think pedal feel and feedback is too subjective a quality and might depend on a slew of variables like brake fluid maintenance.

Is there any DD street/track pad that you would recommend instead of the Ultimates? For around the same price, same dust levels, same noise levels, same bed-in requirements, same fade resistance, same ceramic & kevlar compound or better?

I think in your particular case you have extreme track braking needs since you track hard enough to push DS2500's to the limit whereas 90% of us will never get close to what OEM can hold let alone a pad that can handle much more.

I would say hold on to your HT-10s for the track and use Ultimates on the street. You'll prevent rotor wear caused by running pads outside of their designed temperature range, save time on cleaning, save face on noise, save cash, etc..

1 - 20 of 51 Posts